Chapel Hill Mall in Akron

I thought you guys were talking about Bakers Acres just off Howe. Bunch of Townhomes/Condos now
That's what I thought they were talking about at first but apparently there was an even older course that predates my memories.

I remember Bakers Acres very well when it was around, but regrettably, I never actually played there. Wish it was still around. The number of "affordable" golf courses in the Greater Akron area continues to shrink each year, it seems. The golf courses that are left have definitely picked up on this, and I feel like the weekend rates have gone up accordingly. I have no real empirical proof of this, but it seems like this is the case. Not to hijack the thread but I hope Brookledge (?) near Chapel Hill sticks around for a long time.

I remember Bakers Acres very well when it was around, but regrettably, I never actually played there. Wish it was still around. The number of "affordable" golf courses in the Greater Akron area continues to shrink each year, it seems. The golf courses that are left have definitely picked up on this, and I feel like the weekend rates have gone up accordingly. I have no real empirical proof of this, but it seems like this is the case. Not to hijack the thread but I hope Brookledge (?) near Chapel Hill sticks around for a long time.

I think Brookledge is in pretty solid shape. Always a solid crowd and they've put a lot of money in the course. Doesn't hurt that the city owns it either. Oddly, I never played Baker's either. I understand it wasn't much of a course. I grew up playing a lot at Valley View and Sycamore and they are both long gone. I really miss Maplecrest.

I also played Sycamore a lot and was very disappointed to see it go. Although a shorter 'executive' type course, it was cheap and a nice, easy, quick way to get a round in. Many times (circa mid-2000s, where's the time gone!!) I'd pop in there just to get a round in late in the day on weekends when playing a traditional regulation 9 wouldn't have been practical. As I recall, they didn't take tee times, you just showed up and put your ball in the tube at the tee on #1 and when yours came up, you teed off and off you went. Cheesy, maybe, but it worked for me.

We need more courses like Sycamore, but unfortunately I think the time for these has kind of passed, and it's really too bad.

Last edited:
I also played Sycamore a lot and was very disappointed to see it go. Although a shorter 'executive' type course, it was cheap and a nice, easy, quick way to get a round in. Many times (circa mid-2000s, where's the time gone!!) I'd pop in there just to get a round in late in the day on weekends when playing a traditional regulation 9 wouldn't have been practical. As I recall, they didn't take tee times, you just showed up and put your ball in the tube at the tee on #1 and when yours came up, you teed off and off you went. Cheesy, maybe, but it worked for me.

We need more courses like Sycamore, but unfortunately I think the time for these has kind of passed, and it's really too bad.
Sycamore and Riverwoods is where I pretty much learned to play golf. Riverwoods had one of the best practice areas around. Copley Greens was also a place i would practice all the time. Even had a couple lessons from the local Pro, Phil Sherman. The owner, Frank, was also very cool.

I think Brookledge is in pretty solid shape. Always a solid crowd and they've put a lot of money in the course. Doesn't hurt that the city owns it either. Oddly, I never played Baker's either. I understand it wasn't much of a course. I grew up playing a lot at Valley View and Sycamore and they are both long gone. I really miss Maplecrest.
A lot of people called it a cow pasture but the travel league i had back then played it once a year for 3-4 years. Brookledge is solid!

Not a good sign from the only healthy mall in the Akron area. Another concern from the article is that "no one was arrested". Summit Mall better put an end to this quickly before they are on their own death spiral. Arrest the perpetrators and ban them from the property.

Summit Mall closes abruptly day after Christmas due to fights, concerns over COVID-19

A press release from the city of Fairlawn states a “number of young persons” gathered at Summit Mall on Dec. 26.

The Fairlawn Police Department and Summit Mall management were aware of the event and staffed accordingly. After the first few incidents, Summit Mall management elected to close the mall.

New ownership for the mall-

If you look through the pictures there's a picture of when they were building the mall and you can see that old gold course we were discussing, Breathnach, in the background.

57c57fa0-2a2c-46b6-b998-324c5d1fbe17-PH-402009995_46.jpg

Glad to see they got a new owner. They always described the last owner as "buys distressed malls". It was almost always followed by something like; "past due bills that he says he will pay before they shut the electricity, gas, or water off".

I don't remember them saying that he ever had success turning around any of the distressed malls.

Glad to see they got a new owner. They always described the last owner as "buys distressed malls". It was almost always followed by something like; "past due bills that he says he will pay before they shut the electricity, gas, or water off".

I don't remember them saying that he ever had success turning around any of the distressed malls.

Glad to see there's a plan to re-purpose it.

Now we need a plan for Midway Plaza. I think the only viable plan is a tear down at this point.

Glad to see there's a plan to re-purpose it.

Now we need a plan for Midway Plaza. I think the only viable plan is a tear down at this point.
Sadly, that day needs to come soon. I haven't been in a store at Midway Plaza in years. Only time I drove in there was to drop off donations at Goodwill.

One dead after shooting at Cuyahoga Falls McDonald’s

A confrontation between two employees ended in a deadly shooting at the McDonald’s in Cuyahoga Falls on Thursday.

Officers were called to the restaurant, located on Howe Avenue, at about 1:30 p.m. for shots fired.

Maybe it's not just the Mall that is the problem. Actually drove around this area last night and thought that Buchholzer Blvd is starting to look completely abandoned. Not a good area and I'm guessing that alot of crime could be moving into the area. Doesn't look good unless a sharp turnaround happens quickly. Even McDonald's isn't safe from the craziness.

One dead after shooting at Cuyahoga Falls McDonald’s

Maybe it's not just the Mall that is the problem. Actually drove around this area last night and thought that Buchholzer Blvd is starting to look completely abandoned. Not a good area and I'm guessing that alot of crime could be moving into the area. Doesn't look good unless a sharp turnaround happens quickly. Even McDonald's isn't safe from the craziness.

Not that I am looking to invest in that area, but the McDonald's incident is a one on one personal incident with one employee upset with another, not a crime wave or gang type of thing.

I think Bucholzer and and Britain are done for retail. The mall is going industrial and there's nothing else of relevance on Bucholzer and what there is will suffer even more as the mall shut down. Eventually, Sam's will be the only retail with frontage on Bucholzer. Britain from Midway Plaza to the mall has been a mess for years. That's not getting better. The occupancy rate on Howe actually seem like it is up a little over a couple of years ago.

Murder rates in Akron are high. People don't want to risk their lives to go to a store when Amazon will drop it off.