Chapel Hill Mall in Akron

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Is this the beginning of the end for Chapel Hill Mall or will they be able to lure another anchor store to fill the void left by Macy's closing?

Akron’s struggling Chapel Hill Mall just took a major hit.

One of its three anchor stores, Macy’s, will be closing as soon as eight weeks from now.

Cincinnati-based Macy’s Inc. said two of its Ohio stores, at Chapel Hill Mall on Brittain Road and at Midway Mall in Elyria, are among 36 nationwide that will close.

Clearance sales start Jan. 11 and will run eight to 12 weeks, the company said Wednesday.
Read more:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/macy-s-closing-anchor-store-at-chapel-hill-mall-1.652612

Needs to be torn down along with Rolling Acres. Shopping malls are a dying breed and Akron is serviced enough by Summit Mall, the plethora of malls in the Cleveland area, and Belden Village in Canton.

I predict that Macy's will be filled by the world's largest LaSalle Furniture, with a giant rental and finance department, and that Magic will take over the theater.

Akron is not too bad. I don't spend alot of time there but it's nice to have it close for things to do that only exist in bigger cities.

I thought Akron in the 1990's was okay (my son was a Zip) and like all cities it had it's interesting and attractive parts. It also had some wonderful architecture and old neighborhoods. The PROBLEM with Akron and a host of other American cities is that it has an advanced case of Gangrene and it's the rotten parts of Akron that will kill this city just like it will kill countless other American cities. It's sad actually.

Macy's closing had to do with their own economic health and not the health of any of the malls they are leaving, I know because I do business with them. They had a bad 2015 and they needed to cut fixed costs to beef up their stock price so they are laying off 2,000 employees and closing 36 stores. FYI, malls are evolving and smaller ones like Chapel Hill are going to be closing, you will have either mega sized malls that are destinations or hipster lifestyle centers that are basically fake downtown. But the bottom line is on line retailing is the future and when Amazon figures out how to also offer retail pick up centers many brick and mortar stores will be out of business.

I think that's^ most likely. As a department store retailer, they have become so middle-of-the-road that they are most vulnerable to losing business to on-line sellers. I would guess they aren't going to out-Target Target or compete with Nordstrom and Saks

Aeropostale, Old Navy and Express are all apparently closing their Chapel Hill stores. Just wondering how much longer Chapel Hill can hang on.

It seems better since they went into bankruptcy and a new management firm took over but this just seems like slowly marching to the end of the mall.

The city has a new head planner who is really good. I worked with him a couple times. He knows what it will take to make things better.

Trump can save it!

Defund public transportation ? Controlled access and a cover charge, refunded with a receipt shown ? I guess if some idiot is going to pay 10 bucks to talk through some movie he's seen twice already, the cover may not help.

At some point, does it make sense to keep a few open at a loss, as bait ?

Beachwood Place Mall just rolled out some new rules - http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...s-for-minors-after-post-christmas-disturbance

I'm shocked that Chapel Hill wasn't on the JCP death list. The last couple of times I've been in that store there have been very few customers and finding a JCP employee was a ten minute search.

I'm shocked that Chapel Hill wasn't on the JCP death list. The last couple of times I've been in that store there have been very few customers and finding a JCP employee was a ten minute search.

I went to the mall about two weeks ago on a Saturday night just before closing and was shocked how busy it was. After hearing all this negative stuff, I expected it to be deserted.

With that said, there were alot of empty store fronts. The food court is just embarrassing. I've always felt they should have given free space away to some major restaurant chains like McDonalds, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and Chipotle. Anything that will draw people in on a daily basis.

I went to the mall about two weeks ago on a Saturday night just before closing and was shocked how busy it was. After hearing all this negative stuff, I expected it to be deserted.

With that said, there were alot of empty store fronts. The food court is just embarrassing. I've always felt they should have given free space away to some major restaurant chains like McDonalds, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and Chipotle. Anything that will draw people in on a daily basis.

The last time I went through that food court it was like running a gauntlet of small asians pushing unidentifiable chunks of meat on a toothpick at me.

The last time I went through that food court it was like running a gauntlet of small asians pushing unidentifiable chunks of meat on a toothpick at me.

Agreed. That was the biggest mistake that Chapel Hill made a long time ago. They didn't court the big name franchises and let the little unrecognizable places move in. Then they let them harass the mall shoppers as they walked by.

Poor management has led to this problem at Chapel Hill. I know that there are alot of people that want to get rid of the bus line that comes right in to the parking lot on the backside of the Mall. Just wonder if that was something the previous management thought would save the Mall back then. Another big mistake by them.

From what I've read crime is playing a factor in keeping people away.

Yes, it's definitely a different environment there now. Someone was killed just outside the Mall a couple years ago. I've never felt unsafe while I was there but plenty of people do. Just the reputation of being unsafe is making people stay away.

That sucks. Once a major retail place like that disappears in an area, it's a domino effect all around it and things only get worse. Damn shame.