Change

olivia jo

How do you feel wrestling has changed because of The Pandemic, and will these changes stay ?Are they good changes ( weigh ins , dual base schedules, less fans , creation of more live stream , hence giving more family oppotunites to watch,and ect)

1. Tournaments were shorter . Better for the sport ! Every weekend I was home by 6-7pm at the latest
  2. Due to home school weigh ins , we were able to travel and see quality competition and teams were able to come to our place. I am in favor of home school weigh in. I feel many are against this but I think this also helps the sports.
  3. . Live Streaming helped to make wrestling accessible for alot of people and I think that will stick around. This forced schools to get coverage for wrestling.
  4. I will also keep more of a dual schedule.

Definitely think the uptick in live streaming, and promotion should be/is here to stay.

I think for non-conference duals, if both coaches agree to it honor-system weigh ins should/could be doable but who knows. I could see the argument against it and wouldnt disagree.

1. The option of home weigh-ins is great. Let it be up to the host school.
2. Streaming uptick is a positive and allows for more connection to the community/families.
3. The primarily dual schedule hurts teams like mine who had 8 kids. We had 4/5 solid wrestlers who could wrestle in tournaments but finding teams willing to dual was tough because they could schedule more full lineups. We were more than appreciative of anyone willing to spend .5 points on us.

Just my irrelevant 2 cents.

Good luck to everyone this weekend,
Coach Welch

Great thread.

Positives:
+Streaming definitely a positive.
+Increased emphasis on duals - quads, tris...
+Faster duals - (eliminating handshakes, before, after, coaches - and hand raise)
+Smaller (but still competitive) tournaments (1 day)
+Overall fewer matches. I'm sure many will disagree, but there's a point of diminishing returns in wrestling 50+ matches a year
+Shorter but more intense practices. Splitting up into groups allowed more in-season weight room time.
+Feeling of gratitude. So thankful that we completed this season. Happy for the seniors, and hopeful that the underclassmen build some grit, resilience that will carry over into future seasons.

Negatives:
- Personally not a fan of home honor weights. If I were king of wrestling I'd implement mat-side weigh-ins & get rid of the 2lb allowance.
- Non-starters missed out on opportunities to get matches (experience). Teams traveled light. Also diminished team bonding as JV kids were instructed to leave the gym. Also, JV kids stopped practicing with the team as soon as their season ended.

I agree with many of the things LucMurphy134 wrote about except for the "saving" of time in eliminating handshakes. Really? That is a positive? How much time was saved? Maybe 2 or 3 seconds, tops?
Where was a hand not being raised? Every match I saw had someone raising their hand. No time savings there.

We could save a lot more time by eliminating the silly coin flip. Who ever is leading on score gets the choice. Might get it for both the second and third periods. So what, more incentive to be in the lead. That would be a big time savings.

Our competition was definitely not as tough this year as it was in years past which I think could hurt in post season. I also think the tournament format helps get kids ready for post season and we didn't have 1 single tournament until sectionals. On the flip side, I do like the dual format for team building, shortened time, and easier for "non-wrestling" fans to watch. I hope they bring back the handshake/fist pump and raised hand by ref. I think the handshake with the opponent and coach shows good sportsmanship. Finally, I did not like honor weigh in system and strongly believe they should do mat side weigh ins.

I agree with many of the things LucMurphy134 wrote about except for the "saving" of time in eliminating handshakes. Really? That is a positive? How much time was saved? Maybe 2 or 3 seconds, tops?
Where was a hand not being raised? Every match I saw had someone raising their hand. No time savings there.

We could save a lot more time by eliminating the silly coin flip. Who ever is leading on score gets the choice. Might get it for both the second and third periods. So what, more incentive to be in the lead. That would be a big time savings.

Jim, not looking for an argument, but really what's the point of shaking opponent's hands, before the match and after, shaking the refs hands before the match and after, winner get's hand raised facing the table, then turning around to face the crowd, then running across the mat (or walking if you lost) to shake the opponent's coaches hand and crossing the entire mat back to the bench. Maybe all of that ceremonial ritual accounts for 20-30 seconds each match x 14 matches = 7 minutes over the course of a dual. I'm all for sportsmanship, but show me another sport that shakes so many hands. It's certainly not done in NCAA.

Totally agree about coin flip. Again if I were king of wrestling, I'd make it simpler- the first point scored gets choice for period 2. If no score - both are warned for stalling and both neutral.

LucMurphy134
No problem at all. IMO, the shaking of hands with your opponent is strictly sportsmanship. Before the match it is a greeting much like we do on the street when we meet someone. After the match it acknowledges that they battled and the battle is now over.
I could certainly agree with the lack of needing to shake the opposing coaches hand, no issue there.
As an official it is VERY rare that a wrestler shakes hands with me. In fact when they do reach out their hand, it always catches me off guard.
I never put a clock on it but it is hard to imagine that it takes anywhere close to 30 seconds. I will have to pay attention to that next year. Heck, we waste far more time than that every single time the wrestlers go OOB's. Now that could be some time savings if we could eliminate that.
I agree that no other sport comes close. If the handshake was only with the opponent, I am good with it.
BTW, until we kind of got used to it and stepped on it a bit, the one thing I did NOT like this year was not properly acknowledging the winner. Too many times the kids just left the mat. Took us a while to rein that in.

I don't mind your idea for choice but who gets the choice in the 3rd period? The opponent?

Totally agree about coin flip. Again if I were king of wrestling, I'd make it simpler- the first point scored gets choice for period 2. If no score - both are warned for stalling and both neutral.

If I understand you correctly, you want to take a boring no score match from 2:00 of wrestling from neutral and fix the problem by forcing the start of the second period in the neutral position?

I like your idea on coin flip for the 2nd period but I would still give the 3rd to whoever didn’t get choice in second.

If it’s only based on who is winning that will REALLY favor those who are better neutral wrestlers over those who are better mat wrestlers.

A good neutral wrestler could be winning after 1, get choice and choose neutral then conceivably the kid that is a mat wrestler is screwed for all 3 periods.

I like your idea for 2 period, whoever is winning after 1 gets choice for 2nd but 3rd should still go to other kid.

I guess you would still have to flip KC score is tied...

I am in favor of more duals and less tournaments. But for a DIII team that had a small roster and can not fill every weight class, duals were not fun. Many matches, told them go out and wrestle for yourself to get better because we know we are not going to win the dual.
Anyone else disappointed that the sport did not get TV news coverage. Seems like this would have been a great year for it. Guess they still do not care about wrestling.

If I understand you correctly, you want to take a boring no score match from 2:00 of wrestling from neutral and fix the problem by forcing the start of the second period in the neutral position?

Admittedly I haven't completely thought this through 100%, but that said....... yeah if no score in the first period, both wrestlers are warned, and 2nd-period neutral start. A 0-0 score isn't always indicative of a boring no-score match (see Joey Ward- Edgar Bright 2012). If no score in period 2, neutral start for the 3rd period, but with both wrestlers having been warned, I can't imagine that is very likely. If not, the leader is awarded choice. If points have been scored by both wrestlers and score is tied, the scorer of the first point gets choice. Does this favor the neutral wrestler over the mat wrestler? Absolutely! But it creates an urgency to score and earn the right to choose the best position strategically for them at that moment rather than leave it up to a coin flip.

While I'm at it, I'd also simplify OT. Shut the clock off, first point scored wins.

To be absolutely clear, nobody from the NFHS or NCAA is asking for my opinion of how to improve the rules of the sport. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
I'm going strictly tournament schedule next year. I felt like I had to keep kids I would normally cut loose just do I could fill some sort of roster.

The split sessions here in the post season haven't been bad at all from a coach side. From a host side or someone trying to manage the split roster not so fun. I could see that going either way.

I'm going strictly tournament schedule next year. I felt like I had to keep kids I would normally cut loose just do I could fill some sort of roster.

The split sessions here in the post season haven't been bad at all from a coach side. From a host side or someone trying to manage the split roster not so fun. I could see that going either way.

So you normally get rid of kids based on talent or behavior issues? If it's behavior I don't know why you'd treat this year any different

So you normally get rid of kids based on talent or behavior issues? If it's behavior I don't know why you'd treat this year any different

I don't think the coach is saying he "runs" kids off, just that he may have felt more incentive to encourage a fringe kid to stay for the season. Just the way I read it.

Behaviors, talent or lack there of never bothered me if they're willing to put in the work. This year attendance was the issue and it was my fault for allowing it get to my frustration level, I tried to be more forgiving because of the inconsistent school schedule and a lack of matches being limited to 1/2 pt duals only first half of our schedule (cleared to start matches Christmas break). But I felt after awhile certain kids took advantage of my kindness. 2 kids weeded themselves out when I had a heart to heart with them that they need to show up or be done, but in a normal year I would have nipped this much earlier.

Behaviors, talent or lack there of never bothered me if they're willing to put in the work. This year attendance was the issue and it was my fault for allowing it get to my frustration level, I tried to be more forgiving because of the inconsistent school schedule and a lack of matches being limited to 1/2 pt duals only first half of our schedule (cleared to start matches Christmas break). But I felt after awhile certain kids took advantage of my kindness. 2 kids weeded themselves out when I had a heart to heart with them that they need to show up or be done, but in a normal year I would have nipped this much earlier.

Totally understand that. I got frustrated with the same things at times when I was an assistant and the head coach kept those kids around. I'm now happy to see what those young men have turned into. That was special circumstances though. I can't imagine the difficulties running a program under these conditions. And I admire all who've done it for the kids. Coaching kindergartners was a struggle but I didn't have any weight issues and every kid won at least one match. I just hate when programs go full tournament because it's my opinion it doesn't help the beginner. They often go 0-2 and then sit there all day. My perfect (opinion) schedule if I was a head coach would one tournament I thought we could compete to win with as many in the lineup having success as possible. One tournament that we would finish miid pack. And two tough tournaments that really only the top guys placed. They deserve those matches. A couple 6 team duals. A rivalry dual that happens yearly and an in school dual if I could get it. Fill the rest of the points with conference matches. I'm not sure that could be done but that'd be the goal.