CFP 2020

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
With all the talk about how difficult some believe the CFP selection process will be, I propose we just put Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State in playoff now. Committee can focus on adding one more and be done in a matter of a couple hours. Easy.

Discuss

There is going to be a lot of campaigning by the big names in the sport if they have a tough L, especially if it comes after a long layoff due to Covid re-scheduling. I agree that you can probably pencil in Clemson, 'Bama, and Ohio State but I could see a lot of problems if there are a bunch of 1 loss teams that have great names and big fan bases like ND, Texas, UGA, Penn State, Florida, and Oklahoma going up against an undefeated Pac 12 or AAC champ.

#3 Oklahoma upset by Kansas State. With all the conferences playing now, and schedules being shorter, it's very hard to see how Oklahoma can recover from this.

There is going to be more undefeated teams than normal. This is NOT the year to be a 1-loss team trying to make the playoff...

If there was ever a year to expand the playoff and let in all the conference champions, this is it. Way to hard to compare conferences with no OOC games...

Oklahoma’s loss is even more stunning considering they were up 35-14. Still think Rattler is a future super star.
That was quite the comeback. Got home and turned it on at 28-14. Figured it was over but there wasn’t really any other solid games on (over the air at least) so kept it on. Ended up being exciting from there

2nd half of K-State Oklahoma was fun to watch. LSU not looking too hot against Mike Leach
Orgeron is not that good of a coach. He gets built up by media entities, like Barstool, bc of his personality. However, outside of being a greater recruiter, he’s nothing special in game.

Still awesome to have a full day of competitive P5 football. The chicken littles of the CF media lose, reason & logic win.

I heard an interview with one of the past members of the committee and he indicated that the eye test will be a big factor this year, there is just no way to gauge teams because they are only playing conference games. Also health during the season will be another big factor when comparing teams. The toughest call would be a 1 loss in title game SEC team or 1 loss ND in a close game to a nation's best Clemson against an undefeated Pac 12 team that will have only played 7 games at the most or a nightmare scenario with an under whelming yet undefeated big name like Texas. Going to be a tough task this year.

They should expand the playoffs this year. Most other leagues are doing it, and with most teams having a shortened season you could do 16/24/32 teams no problem.

Mike Leach
I don’t know why people thought his Offense wouldn’t work in the SEC. Did everyone forget about the Steve Spurrier at Florida? There’s difft nuances in the Offenses, but in terms of high level concept, they’re basically the same.

Larry Scott of the Pac 12 put in a suggestion to the CFP committee to expand the playoffs for 2020, the other Power 5 Commissioners shot it down immediately.

I don’t know why people thought his Offense wouldn’t work in the SEC. Did everyone forget about the Steve Spurrier at Florida? There’s difft nuances in the Offenses, but in terms of high level concept, they’re basically the same.
I mean, it worked for 1 game so far. And LSU isn't good.

LSU has talent, but are they a good team? IDK. My gut tells me they’re an 8-9 win team during most yrs.
I was baffled at their plan late in the game. They threw the ball exclusively over the middle, so the receivers had no chance to get out of bounds.

There’s no reason Leach can’t win a lot of games at MSU. Mullen did it. It’s just very hard to get a second-tier SEC West program over Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss in the same season, not to mention crossovers against teams like Georgia and Florida some seasons. It’s just difficult to overcome the resources of all those programs.