Central Ohio Job Openings - DAVIDSON now open

Hartley1

Big Walnut
Thomas Worthington
Hamilton Township
Hilliard Davidson

Anyone have info on these... Brian White stepping down is interesting. Davidson is a top program in Ohio. Tough shoes fill. Would think they promote a coordinator... but I am sure they will receive interest from great coaches.

Big Walnut
Thomas Worthington
Hamilton Township
Hilliard Davidson

Anyone have info on these... Brian White stepping down is interesting. Davidson is a top program in Ohio. Tough shoes fill. Would think they promote a coordinator... but I am sure they will receive interest from great coaches.

Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth.

Big Walnut & T Worthington aren't very desirable programs right now. I would guess an assistant from a central Ohio school or a D4+ head coach taking over the reigns.

Varney from GC is going to get hired back at Hamilton that was talked about even before the season started. Which would then open that job if he doesn't resign/ get asked to resign in the coming days to speed up that process.

I'd be shocked if Davidson doesn't hire from within and try to keep the established culture. No idea why White left just heard unconfirmed rumors. Maybe he'll join his buddy Crabtree at Coffman hard to see him give it up.

A couple Columbus Public schools are open also (Beechcroft & Briggs)

Briggs and Grove City look like absolute messes. GCHS seemed to be doing a bunch of the “little things” right when I saw them versus Lancaster, but they have basically no talent and evidently low numbers.

Big Walnut
Thomas Worthington
Hamilton Township
Hilliard Davidson

One of Davidson's strengths has always been the continuity on the coaching staff, very little turnover within the staff . This is true of course with many successful programs but with Davidson it will be easy to keep the same system and culture by hiring Abele most likely if he wants it and keeping the rest of the staff together. Big outside interest I disagree with . Not that some outside won't apply but it isn't a plumb job unless you somehow ran this type system somewhere else . I Think it was just time for him especially if he didn't want to coach his son although many many coaches do that so I'm a bit confused if that was the only reason , but may be it's a case of him not playing his son , I have no idea how good a player he is , that might be awkward and not something you would want to do . He has another job in him but it would take a good 5 years to getg his 'system " and culture ingrained a bit somewhere else.

My feeling with going into a harder conference with the re-alignment, not getting as many kids out to play and a talent base that is lessening I think he knows that the run may have run it's course.

His son will be a junior and probably play varsity. Brian has always been a tough old school coach. Didn't want to do that to his kid is what I heard. Choosing to be a dad over a coach? Nothing but total respect for that decision.
I did not believe his son played football.

His son will be a junior and probably play varsity. Brian has always been a tough old school coach. Didn't want to do that to his kid is what I heard. Choosing to be a dad over a coach? Nothing but total respect for that decision.

Yeah I had heard talk of this 2 seasons ago so I was not shocked. I think the job is Abele's if he wants it. He is well liked in the community, has been on that staff for a long time and seems like the logical choice. We will see.

Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth.

Big Walnut & T Worthington aren't very desirable programs right now. I would guess an assistant from a central Ohio school or a D4+ head coach taking over the reigns.

Varney from GC is going to get hired back at Hamilton that was talked about even before the season started. Which would then open that job if he doesn't resign/ get asked to resign in the coming days to speed up that process.

I get Thomas not being a desirable job...but what's your argument on Big Walnut? Fast growing population in Delaware County. One school town. New school and athletic facilities being built in the next couple years. Their new division is much more forgiving with the exception of W.South and Canal. If an established coach gets this job it could resurrect this program. Just my own two cents. :D

Also heard same rumor about Varney back to HT.

I get Thomas not being a desirable job...but what's your argument on Big Walnut? Fast growing population in Delaware County. One school town. New school and athletic facilities being built in the next couple years. Their new division is much more forgiving with the exception of W.South and Canal. If an established coach gets this job it could resurrect this program. Just my own two cents. :D

Where is Big Walnut in comparison to the rest of the OCC enrollment wise? Anyone know? That’s sort of what I’m thinking: rather small “large school” in a tank of bigger fish.

I have heard the same about Varney.

Davison will stay within

Thomas is a dumpster fire

And BW will probably get a quality assistant from a top program in central Ohio. What Head Coach that has won would go there? Brian White? Could get a head coach with a bad record but that doesn’t seem logical.

Last edited:
So someone mentioned on the Louisville coach thread the name of Justin Buttermore from Granville.......less than 0% chance for that, and I stated that he isn't leaving Granville anytime soon. HOWEVER, with the Hilliard Davidson position now open, that is a possibility. He had a successful brief stay as DC before turning Tri-Valley into a dynasty. Decisions are very difficult when it involves family. And I am guessing he isn't ready to move his family again. With that said, Central Ohio is his desire.......and Davidson might be the only move he would consider from Granville.......assuming they are interested in him, and vice versa. I would hope they would interview him if he was interested.

I’m led to think all five of the CCL schools will stay the same. Unless... (nah, no way he goes to Davidson or Grove City. Right?!)

My guess is none of the area private schools will have coaching vacancies.

TW has beat Kilbourne the past two years... is Thomas a better job than Kilbourne? How are the Worthington's so bad?!?

Big Nut should be a great job... growing community. Past success/tradition... haven't won recently. New league. Not sure if they pay as well as the bigger suburbs. Someone said that DeSale's Wiggins name for the job? Said he lives by Big Nut?

Hamilton - Heard Varney is going back too. Is he getting forced out of Grove City? If GC comes open is it a better job with their new league?

Davidson will hire from within... assuming someone wants it.

Any news on the Davidson front? Front runners? Big names that put in for the job?

Again- I'd be surprised if they didn't hire within which makes me think an announcement could come as early as next week.

Big Nut & HT filled. Davidson just closed the applications. Assuming they will start interviews soon. Big question is does Davidson stay inside or go out. Names of guys who could get a big pay raise... Burchfield (Hartley) or Wiggins (DeSales) going from Private to public. Small school guys: Bloom Carrol Coach, London Coach, Mechanicsburg Coach, Teays Valley Coach, Jonathan Alder Coach

Big Nut & HT filled. Davidson just closed the applications. Assuming they will start interviews soon. Big question is does Davidson stay inside or go out. Names of guys who could get a big pay raise... Burchfield (Hartley) or Wiggins (DeSales) going from Private to public. Small school guys: Bloom Carrol Coach, London Coach, Mechanicsburg Coach, Teays Valley Coach, Jonathan Alder Coach

Do you think any other successful Public D1 or D2 coach in Central Ohio would leave their post for Davidson? Burchfield and Wiggins are obviously big names, can't imagine Burchfield leaving, he has it rolling and has a great set up, Wiggins is a DeSales guy through and through so that'd surprise me also.

Small school guys: Bloom Carrol Coach, London Coach, Mechanicsburg Coach, Teays Valley Coach, Jonathan Alder Coach
I see four very successful programs listed here, and a program that hasn’t made playoffs since 2015 because they keep losing to the only similar-sized schools they play in the regular season.

Kevin Fell was something like 17-4 at Tri-Valley. Haven't seen where this veteran coach has landed. The new coach is Cameron West a standout on the 2006-07 teams and a former Buttermore assistant.