Central District

UA's superfrosh Tommy Weimer goes 4:58 in 500 last Saturday! Look out Central District UA's coming!! The Bears will flex their young muscles Saturday in the Ned Reeb as Weimer and the rest of his remarkable freshmen class will give a preview of their skills! Fair warning SC…the District’s not in the bag like you think!!! Reardon, Kibbe & Weimer will lead their team to victory!!!!

Well, I guess we'll all see if your confidence is merited on the 13th... I gotta say that I think a cold dose of reality is on the way for UA and that the team standings at the Ned Reeb will bear that out. One of the best things about swimming though, is that there aren't any championship committees who will make those decisions for the athletes... UA will get their chance to show their stuff in the pool!

On a related note... will UA be participating in the Canton Christmas Invitational again this year? It'd be nice to see all of these kids in person! Good luck to the young Bears this season and we're looking forward to hosting you in Mason on January 10th!

Last edited:
Zfish, scoring the psych sheet UA is the top finishing Central District team at the Ned Reeb. And that's despite many teams entering tapered times! And yes, the Bears are swimming the Canton Christmas Invitational next Saturday. They are once again the only Central District team in the Big Eight. Unlike others at least that meet's organizers haven't lost confidence in the Bears. And UA is looking forward to swimming against Mason, as that weekend they will dispatch St. Charles at home on Friday night before coming south to take on your Comets on Saturday.

Zfish, scoring the psych sheet UA is the top finishing Central District team at the Ned Reeb. And that's despite many teams entering tapered times! And yes, the Bears are swimming the Canton Christmas Invitational next Saturday. They are once again the only Central District team in the Big Eight. Unlike others at least that meet's organizers haven't lost confidence in the Bears. And UA is looking forward to swimming against Mason, as that weekend they will dispatch St. Charles at home on Friday night before coming south to take on your Comets on Saturday.

Thanks for the update on the Bears' schedule. I misread your previous post, I thought you were talking about "muscle flexing" and winning at the Ned Reeb... you meant compared to the other Central District teams! Yeah, I think they have a shot at being the top placing Central District team along with St. Charles however, suggesting that other teams are using tapered times and UA isn't seems a bit disingenuous... Is Reardon's 1:53.22 in the 200 IM not his tapered time from last year's district meet?

Last edited:
rjones, the psych sheet is deceiving for the Ned Reeb. Because the meet is so early in the season many teams must use times from last year for their swimmers to come in under the time cuts. UA has done it as well, i.e. Reardon's IM & back times, Fischer's breast time, Hamilton's back time, Kibbe's 500 time, just to name a few. Expect that many swimmers will not match their entry times and the scoring from the psych sheets will not hold up. Looking at the field obviously St.X will win. It does appear that they are bringing the top of their team. Should be interesting from there. St.F, Solon, University, Hudson & SC all appear to be in the mix for 2nd. SC swims St.F & University Friday night which will give some indication of how competitive SC will be. Regardless, don't expect to see UA topping SC at the Ned Reeb or otherwise during this season. Sorry rjones. But then again that's why they swim the meet.

Hey Zfish, why doesn't Mason come to the Ned Reeb? Seems like they did in the past. Now with the B Flight teams can bring both their swimmers with the cut times and those who haven't made the cut. Just wondering.

Hey Zfish, why doesn't Mason come to the Ned Reeb? Seems like they did in the past. Now with the B Flight teams can bring both their swimmers with the cut times and those who haven't made the cut. Just wondering.

I'm guessing it's because almost all of Mason's HS scorers swim for the Manta Rays and attend the MAKOS Holiday Invitational at Miami University for their mid-season goals meet before crossing over for the HS season. The MAKO meet and Ned Reeb are the same weekend. Mason's non-select swimmers wouldn't be very competitive at the Ned Reeb and so they typically schedule duals/tris for the less experienced kids that same weekend (this year it's a tri with Lebanon and Loveland).

The times from this weekends MAKO meet should be pretty fast since the kids are getting a partial taper. We'll have a better handle on how good Mason will be by Sunday night. The 15-over Manta Ray boys should be pretty strong with the addition of several very talented swimmers (C. Hodge, C. Keener, M. Keener, T. Hagemeister, E. Devyak) to their existing group of boys.

It is most unlikely that UA will finish ahead of St. Charles at the Ned Reeb. Aquacard & Zfish are correct that UA is seeded off tapered times while St. Charles for the most part is not. That means that St. Charles will likely out perform the psych sheet placement. And as to the Big Eight, do you really suppose UA would be there based upon its boys, rjones? Remember the Big Eight is coed, the reason UA is there is because of the girls!

It really is too bad that the Ned Reeb and the MAKO meet are always at the same time. At this point the Ned Reeb draws a significant statewide field. Each year the best of the Northwest, Central & Northeast are attending. Now with X coming each year it has become the best statewide field outside of the state meet itself.

Should be a great and fast meet on Saturday. A good early season test.

Here's how the Ned Reeb scores off the psych sheets:

1 Cincinnati St. Xavier 398
2 Toledo St. Francis De Sales 235
3 University 232
4 Solon 218
5 Hudson 186
6 Upper Arlington 146
7 Cleveland St. Ignatius 131
8 Mansfield Ontario 120
9 Columbus St. Charles 119
10 Lewis Center Olentangy 116
11 Powell Olentangy Liberty 109
12 Dublin Coffman 101
13 Westerville South 100
14 Bay Village Bay 99
15 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 95
16 Westerville North 87
17 Dublin Jerome 82
18 Pickering North 72
19 Grove City 67
20 Findlay 65
21 Dublin Scioto 57
22 Westerville Central 53
22 Hilliard Darby 53
24 Hilliard Davidson 51
25 Gates Mills Gilmour Academy 40
26 Powell Village Academy 38
27 Galion 32
28 Mount Vernon 29
29 Lancaster 27
30 Fremont Ross 24
31 New Albany 23
32 Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin 14
33 Gahanna Lincoln 12
34 Granville 10
35 North Robinson Colonel Crawford 9
36 Worthington Christian 5
37 Columbus Bishop Hartley 2
37 Ashland 2

As has been mentioned above these scores will change dramatically because many of the times are tapered times from last year. With the exception of St. X expect the remainder of the top 10 positions to shuffle dramatically.

don't expect to see UA topping SC at the Ned Reeb or otherwise during this season. Sorry rjones. But then again that's why they swim the meet.

aquacard, you're right that's why they swim the meet!!! Ned Reeb score - UA 208; SC 203 Swimmer of the meet: Park Neri - 1st in 500 4:44.70!!!!! That's just the beginning SC...the Bears will continue to roar all season long!!!!!!

Here's how the Ned Reeb scores off the psych sheets:

1 Cincinnati St. Xavier 398
2 Toledo St. Francis De Sales 235
3 University 232
4 Solon 218
5 Hudson 186
6 Upper Arlington 146
7 Cleveland St. Ignatius 131
8 Mansfield Ontario 120
9 Columbus St. Charles 119
10 Lewis Center Olentangy 116
11 Powell Olentangy Liberty 109
12 Dublin Coffman 101
13 Westerville South 100
14 Bay Village Bay 99
15 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 95
16 Westerville North 87
17 Dublin Jerome 82
18 Pickering North 72
19 Grove City 67
20 Findlay 65
21 Dublin Scioto 57
22 Westerville Central 53
22 Hilliard Darby 53
24 Hilliard Davidson 51
25 Gates Mills Gilmour Academy 40
26 Powell Village Academy 38
27 Galion 32
28 Mount Vernon 29
29 Lancaster 27
30 Fremont Ross 24
31 New Albany 23
32 Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin 14
33 Gahanna Lincoln 12
34 Granville 10
35 North Robinson Colonel Crawford 9
36 Worthington Christian 5
37 Columbus Bishop Hartley 2
37 Ashland 2

Final standings at the Ned Reeb:

1 Cincinnati St. Xavier 451
2 Hudson 220
3 Solon 209
4 Upper Arlington 208
5 Columbus St. Charles 203
6 University 182
7 Lewis Center Olentangy 173
8 Toledo St. Francis De Sales 153
9 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit 119
10 Bay Village Bay 116
11 Powell Olentangy Liberty 100
12 Cleveland St. Ignatius 89
13 Mansfield Ontario 79
14 Granville 69
15 Grove City 67
16 Dublin Jerome 64
17 Westerville North 56
18 Hilliard Darby 55
19 Dublin Scioto 53
20 Hilliard Davidson 51
21 Marysville 44
22 Dublin Coffman 43
22 Findlay 43
24 Pickering North 40
25 Mount Vernon 38
26 Powell Village Academy 36
27 Westerville South 34
28 Worthington Kilbourne 33
28 Westerville Central 33
30 Gates Mills Gilmour Academy 31
31 Lancaster 29
32 Galion 25
33 Fremont Ross 23
34 Lewis Center Olentangy Orange 19
35 New Albany 18
36 Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin 15
37 Gahanna Lincoln 13
38 Ashland 11
39 Columbus Bishop Watterson 6
39 Columbus Bishop Hartley 6
41 North Robinson Colonel Crawford 2
41 Columbus Wellington 2

Great meet with some fast swimming. Most unexpected performance was UA in the 500. They outscored X and Neri had an unbelievable swim to win it. Talk about coming out of no where. I don't think he swam in the district last year or had gone under 5 minutes before this meet. Although it's not unusual to have significant improvement between freshman and sophomore year that time drop is unheard of - 4:44.70. Usually UA is not rested for this meet, which makes that an even more remarkable time. He gets my pick for swim of the meet if not swimmer of the meet. rjones, you called it...UA was the top Central District team. I followed the meet on meet mobile as I could not attend. I am assuming most if not all suited up for the finals. Also, I assume that Reardon did not swim all 3 relays as he is listed on swimmeet.com and meet mobile. I have to believe that is a clerical error as he would have exceeded the event limit otherwise. Anyway, it looks like the runner up spot in the state is wide open. UA could make some noise with their 500 team. I still pick SC in the district but I'm not sure they can match UA at state meet.

The Ned Reeb was a great meet. It has become the best early season meet in the state. rjones, for once you appear to have gotten it right. UA had a marvelous meet led by sophomore Parker Neri. Just to put his performance into perspective, last year his taper times in the sectional were 55.56 in the 100 Free, good for 19th place in the Arlington Sectional and 1:56.91 in the 200 for 13th place at the sectional. Neither time qualified for the district. By comparison his 100 split in the Ned Reeb 500 was 53.98 & 1:52.41 at the 200. His last 100 of the 500 he split in 55.20. His 4:44.70 would have finished 5th in the district. Amazing improvement especially as an in-season time.

UA also was missing their other distance swimmer Nebyat Mamo who finished 8th in the district 500 last year with a time of 4:51.30. Add freshman Tommy Weimer who went 4:53.68 at the Ned Reeb into the mix and Arlington could put 4 swimmers into the state meet in the 500. Their tapered times could even result in 4 swimmers scoring in the state meet 500. If that happens and Arlington can improve their relays they will likely be competitive for a top 5 finish or higher.

If nothing else UA's Ned Reeb performances makes the Central District Meet potentially more competitive. St. Charles had a good meet and appears to have a relay edge. Their secondary swimmers who didn't score at the Ned Reeb will likely pick up points in the District and except for Mamo I'm not certain that UA will pick up as many points in the District Meet. The January dual meet between UA & SC will be interesting. Olentangy swam well and looks strong for third in the District.

Hudson & Solon look like they will compete with Moeller for runner-up in the state. St. Francis seems to be rebuilding although their sprint relay was impressive.

Agree with the above posters that the UA boys definitely rose to the challenge at the Ned Reeb and nipped St. Charles for the top Central District honors at the meet.

While success at their first invitational of the year is exciting for the UA faithful, talk of top 5 placement at State in February based on early-season 500 swims by underclassmen still feels like a big leap of faith.

Canton Christmas Invitational psych sheets are out and the depth of the field in the mid-distance freestyle events will be substantial. Should be a good early season barometer for all teams and swimmers involved.

Last edited:
I'm back Mr. Jones

Swimmer of the meet: Park Neri - 1st in 500 4:44.70!!!!!

Parker's swim was unexpected and a nice for this time of year, but Trevor Lake's 20.2/44.92 were far and away the best two swims of the meet and then Reilman's 48.96 back. Did you see those swims?

Central District top 10 times are out. With only a few exceptions the times are faster this year than the same time last year. Over all it appears that the district is about a second or so faster than last year in nearly every event. As usual St. Charles & Upper Arlington dominate the times. UA has 4 of the top 8 times in the 500. Surprisingly St. Charles has 2 in the top 10. St. Charles has 8 different swimmers listed and 16 individual times. UA has 7 different swimmers and 10 individual times. While UA is strong in the 500 they have no one in the 100 & the butterfly. St. Charles has 3 of the top six in breaststroke and at least one swimmer in every event. Significantly, St. Charles' relays are much faster than UA's - 2 seconds in the medley; 2 seconds in the 200 and a whopping 5 seconds in the 400.

St. Charles comes visiting the Bears today. UA will give them a taste of things to come in February. Come out and watch the Bears roar as they make bear meat of the Cardinals. GO BEARS!!!

rjones, I saw the results posted in the paper this morning but the font is so small I could not read the score. why don't you fill us in?

St. Charles won by 12 points. But they scored 13 points in diving. So for the swimming portion of the meet the Bears won. Add to that the extra relay points St. Charles received from their B relays which won't be available at the district meet and the swimming gap widens. Anyway but for UA having no divers the meet would have been a different story. Just wait for the district when the Bears will finish off the cardinals!

By the way on Saturday UA traveled to Mason swept a very good Mason team. Here are the results:

Girls:Upper Arlington 104, Mason 82
200MR-Upper Arlington 1:50.19; 200free-A. Volpenheim (M) 1:53.66; 200IM-Trace (U) 2:09.79; 50free-Hedden (U) 24.78; 100fly-A. Volpenheim (M) 57.45; 100free-Long (U) 52.39; 500free-Trace (U) 5:02.60; 200FR-Upper Arlington 1:38.29; 100back-J. Volpenheim (M) 1:00.89; 100breast-Waller (M) 1:09.37; 400FR-Upper Arlington 3:37.74; 1Meter-Winslow (U) 249.55.

Boys: Upper Arlington 99, Mason 84
200MR-Upper Arlington 1:41.03; 200free-Kibbe (U) 1:47.45; 200IM-Thatcher (M) 2:00.44; 50free-Hamilton (U) 22.65; 100fly-Hove (M) 55.69; 100free-Thatcher (M) 49.48; 500free-Kibbe (U) 4:48.95; 200FR-Mason 1:31.83; 100back-Hamilton (U) 55.19; 100breast-Fischer (U) 1:01.32; 400FR-Upper Arlington 3:23.71; 1Meter-Feng (M) 196.15.

rjones does seem a bit quiet since Friday. Not only did SC win but it appeared that for the most part they swam off events. UA for the most part had at least one or two swimming each event who will swim that event in the district. Additionally, SC's A & B relays beat UA in the medley & 200; UA won the 400 relay on by a touch. Anyway, looked like both teams swam well for this point in the season and put up some very respectable times. As things are shaping up it looks like it will be a very competitive district meet on the individual level. It still looks like SC is the favorite for the team title.

By the way on Saturday UA traveled to Mason swept a very good Mason team. Here are the results:

Girls:Upper Arlington 104, Mason 82
200MR-Upper Arlington 1:50.19; 200free-A. Volpenheim (M) 1:53.66; 200IM-Trace (U) 2:09.79; 50free-Hedden (U) 24.78; 100fly-A. Volpenheim (M) 57.45; 100free-Long (U) 52.39; 500free-Trace (U) 5:02.60; 200FR-Upper Arlington 1:38.29; 100back-J. Volpenheim (M) 1:00.89; 100breast-Waller (M) 1:09.37; 400FR-Upper Arlington 3:37.74; 1Meter-Winslow (U) 249.55.

Boys: Upper Arlington 99, Mason 84
200MR-Upper Arlington 1:41.03; 200free-Kibbe (U) 1:47.45; 200IM-Thatcher (M) 2:00.44; 50free-Hamilton (U) 22.65; 100fly-Hove (M) 55.69; 100free-Thatcher (M) 49.48; 500free-Kibbe (U) 4:48.95; 200FR-Mason 1:31.83; 100back-Hamilton (U) 55.19; 100breast-Fischer (U) 1:01.32; 400FR-Upper Arlington 3:23.71; 1Meter-Feng (M) 196.15.

I wouldn't read too much into UA's sweep of Mason this past Saturday. Mason inverted their lineup with many of their swimmers swimming off events (or events they never swim at all) to get a small break before the SW Classic next weekend. Honestly, I'm shocked the boys were even as close as 15 points with that lineup... I thought it would have been worse. The UA boys swam well and I expect them to give St. Charles all they want at districts. I'll call my shot now, Mason will be in the mix with Moeller, Hudson, Strongsville, Solon and St. Francis at the State meet.

Last edited:
With the district being 5 weeks to go, it looks like we are getting a clearer picture of how the teams will fall in the district.

All the questions that seemed to arise surrounding the return trip to Athens, have been answered (boys and girls combined session; overflow to gym; etc).

On the division 2 side, it looks like the defending district champions are in a great position to repeat. The Columbus School for Girls will score extremely well as well as the Dover Boys. Both have to be the clear favorites. The Dover boys return a state qualifier who did not compete for Dover when they won the 2014 district title. This should only strengthen their relays (have gone 1:40 and 1:30 converted from their ECOL meet on Friday) as well as provide additional high placement in individual events. Both teams should also score fairly well at the state meet

Fast meet in Canton this week end.
Top Central District times were:
Medley: St. Charles: 1:36.37
200 Free: Weaver, Dublin Scioto: 1:40.56
200 IM: Beam, St. Charles: 1:57.56
50 Free: Scott, Jerome: 21.18
Fly: Miller, Westerville North: 50.41
100 Free: Scott, Jerome: 47.05
500 Free: Spichiger, Granville: 4:48.43
200 Free Relay: St. Charles: 1:26.87
Back: Saczawa, Olentangy Liberty:51>96
Breast: Welty, St. Charles: 56.87
400 Free Relay: St. Charles: 3:13.88
Diving: Thatcher, Olentangy Liberty: 567.10 (11 Dives)

St. Charles looked very fast - dropping time pretty much across the board. Welty's swim and their 200 Free Relay were very impressive. Both will compete for a state title. As well as UA has been swimming from the best times list, it looks unlikely that they can stay with St. Charles in the district. It also appears that if the Cardinals continue to drop time they will contend for a top 5 spot in the state meet.

Looking at the times in the Southwest Classic, it appears that it will be a very fast state meet. As usual the Southwest will be the fastest district. This year it looks like the Northeast will likely be the next fastest.

dutchman, not only will UA "stay" with SC but they will pass them by both at the District and State. Its obvious that SC rested for the Northeast Classic and so we have seen about the best that they can do. Unlike SC, the Bears have been swimming tired...and putting up impressive times. Wait til you see what they will do tapered!!! Prediction: Central District team finish, number 1 UA and number 2 SC by 30 or 40 points. UA is the only Central District team that will finish in the top 5 at the state!!! SC will likely place between 6th and 10th, if they have a good meet.

Once again rjones your allegiance to UA while commendable is coloring your analysis. UA is swimming very well and will likely swim well in the district making it more competitive than expected. However, their relays will not top SC. They may be as low as 5th in the 400 free. SC will likely win all 3 relays. UA will dominate the 500 but they won't do well in the fly - possibly not scoring but likely no one on the podium. Not certain they will score in the 100 either, and again I see no one on the podium for them. While Reardon will do well in the IM - likely winning - not sure they can put anyone else on the podium unless Kibbe swims it. Same with breast where Fischer will podium but don't see anyone else in the top heat. SC is just too deep for UA to beat them in the District. Depending on how well the bottom half of SC's team swims they will win the district by anywhere from 20 to 100 points. And by the way rjones your state projections are way off. UA will not be top 5, may not even be top 10 if their relays don't come through. SC is a contender to be top 5.

And by the way rjones your state projections are way off. UA will not be top 5, may not even be top 10 if their relays don't come through. SC is a contender to be top 5.

And while UA's 500 free swimmers may be strong at the district level, it's silly to think they are going to dominate at the State meet. Unless the landscape changes significantly, they are going to need to swim fast to get non-automatic qualifiers AT the meet. There will be ALOT of very fast mid-distance free swimmers coming out of the SW district. Heck, they could easily fill a heat with kids that have all gone 4:32 or faster in the 500 and they very well may end up with a final district heat of kids under 1:40 in the 200! And it's worth noting that State placement is largely determined by placement in the big point events... the relays. Latest state rankings (D1 and D2 combined) have UA at 13th in the 200 medley relay and not in the top 20 in the 200 or 400 free relays... they are certainly capable of getting one of the free relays to join their medley relay at State, but getting the second one there is going to be much harder. And getting there is one thing, scoring high at that meet is something else... it's going to take huge time drops from where they currently are, which isn't reasonable to expect.

With all of that said though, the great thing about the format in Ohio is that they're going to get the chance to prove the naysayers wrong in the pool... which is where it all should be decided!

Last edited:
aquacard & Zfish you are both correct in your review of rjones' inane post. As noted above it is all well and good to support your team but reality must eventually set in. It will at the district meet. Regardless, looking at the Northeast results suggests that this may be the best St. Charles team since 2009 or 2010. While with the exception of Welty it doesn't look like they have any top 5 individual swimmers, their relays will be quite fast. Their depth though not at the St. X level nonetheless is impressive. They have at least 5 swimmers in the 48 to 49 range in the 100 and that's in-season times. If they can drop 2 to 3 seconds tapered their 400 Relay will contend for a title. The 200 Relay will certainly be in contention as will the Medley barring a false start. They also should pick up some individual points enough to make them a definite top 5 threat and potentially a top 3. I don't see how UA can compete with them for the district crown without some sort of catastrophe. As Zfish noted UA is strong in the 500 at the district level but that won't transfer into alot of state points. Other than the 500 & 100 back I don't think there's another event that UA will outscore SC in at district. And they will start with a deficit from the relays as I think SC will sweep the relays at the district.

This District meet will be as fun as always to watch SC pull back ahead (sorry Mr. DeBear, but RJones has tainted UA for me), but I unfortunately won't be announcing this year, so you will all have fun without me. Women's Big Tens are the same weekend and I will be occupied with my own nerves! I am sorry to see it moved to OU, a slower pool, which wont help compete against the other districts heading into a even worse pool in Canton. Good luck to all.

preeder sorry to hear you'll not be announcing at district. I always enjoyed your comments. You will be missed. I am concerned that the boys and girls are swimming together as I am not certain OU has sufficent seating for that. When the district was there previously there were no D2 boys. The D1 girls swam separately from the boys and the D2 girls had their own session. My guess is seats will go fast. And I don't recall alot of standing room. Anyway it looks like swimfan and aquacard are rights about SC and UA (sorry rjones). SC looks like the prohibited favorite. The more interesting team battle will be between Olentangy & Jerome for third.

The last in season times are out and the Central District looks pretty slow. They have only 4 medley relays in the top 20; 1 200 freestyler; 3 in the IM; 5 in the 50; 3 in the fly; 4 in the 100; none in the 500; 3 in the 200 Relay; 4 in back; 4 in breast and 3 in 400 Relay. rjones UA has just 1 top 20 time. They'll need one heck of a taper to make your predicted finish. And interestingly UA's top event is the district's weakest - the 500. As usual the SW dominates the times with the NE an impressive second. The Central is slightly ahead of the NW. Looking forward to seeing how fast people go!

The lower end of the Bears team roared today at the UA Invitational. Among other fine swims were a 1:49 in the 200 & 2 4:56s in the 500. And those are the bottom of the team times!!! St. Charles wisely stayed on the otherside of town. But they can't duck UA in Athens. Can't wait for the Bears to devour the Cardinals in 2 weeks!!!