Central District D1

mathking

Just some thoughts on the central district D1 meets today. First off, congratulations to the Reynoldsburg and Davidson girls and the Davidson, New Albany and Pickerington North boys on their wins. Nice job to the Canal Winchester girls who were runners up today. You had a good meet. Props to my alma mater and the Granville Blue Aces for their third place finish in their first ever year in D1. I don't think the coaches are going to seed you so far down next year.Also congrats to the Hartley girls for their 4th place finish in their first year in D1.

In the District 1 meet (since I was there): Nice double by Jacob Dumford (1:53.52 and 4:14.24). As was referenced in another thread, what a race in the girls 1600 (with 5:03 not getting out). Nice job Jacob Blankenship breaking the state record to win the pole vault in 17'1". Taylor Williams (10.82/21.54 plus a leg on the 42.15) in the 100/200/4x100. Anthony Johnson for a 48.06 in the 400.

In the other districts good distance doubles by Brannon Kidder (4:23/1:53), Tsehaye Hiluf (4:14/9:23) and Minori Minagawa (5:06/2:14), and Destinee Gause (11.86/23.83). Nice 54.40 by Karrington Winters. Probably lots more I didn't see.

Another thought, the boys 4x800 will be an exciting race at the Pickerington regional:

Westerville North 7:51.77
Reynoldsburg 7:52.49
Lancaster 7:54.10
Hilliard Bradley 7:56.46
Central Crossing 7:56.93
Pickerington North 7:57.08
Granville 7:57.50
New Albany 7:59.58

And these are their district meet times, not necessarily their fastest times of the season.

The change from four girl's districts down to three was very noticable, made every event much more competitive for girls compared to the past couple of years. Mathking, I agree with you about Granville boys, great job in their first year D1. Some great athletes on the team, many area coaches overlooked them in the seeding.

I think the boys distance races (4x8, 1600, 3200, 800) are going to be amazing this week. I thought Dumford from West North looked very strong, will be fun to see him match up with Kidder as they race three times this week in the 4x8, 16, and 8. Central Ohio distance is on a roll right now, would love to see more dominance over the next two weeks! 90 degree heat could be a major factor for multi-event athletes.

Virtual regional meet on milesplit-
Boys: http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/virtual/2012/outdoor/hs/m/results?l=2407
Girls: http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/virtual/2012/outdoor/hs/f/results?l=2407&returners=0

Didn't take the time to compare milesplit to district results, but it looks like both boys and girls team titles could be very close?

I still think for the girls it is Reynoldsburg as a clear favorite. I would agree that if someone beats them we are probably the next most likely alternative, and you guys right after us. For the boys it is a crap shoot. Particularly because so many field events are so close. There are probably 10 teams who might have a great day and win.

The change from four girl's districts down to three was very noticable, made every event much more competitive for girls compared to the past couple of years. Mathking, I agree with you about Granville boys, great job in their first year D1. Some great athletes on the team, many area coaches overlooked them in the seeding.

I think the boys distance races (4x8, 1600, 3200, 800) are going to be amazing this week. I thought Dumford from West North looked very strong, will be fun to see him match up with Kidder as they race three times this week in the 4x8, 16, and 8. Central Ohio distance is on a roll right now, would love to see more dominance over the next two weeks! 90 degree heat could be a major factor for multi-event athletes.

Virtual regional meet on milesplit-
Boys: http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/virtual/2012/outdoor/hs/m/results?l=2407
Girls: http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/virtual/2012/outdoor/hs/f/results?l=2407&returners=0

Didn't take the time to compare milesplit to district results, but it looks like both boys and girls team titles could be very close?

I am actually from the Southwest region and we have a nice runner from Cincy Anderson in Nick Vogele but clearly the Central region is king this year for distance! With the trio of Kidder, Dumford and Hiluf (and I have seen all of them run this year)...the Central region may very well produce all the state champions in distance races this year - 4x8, 8, 16, and 32. Will be a great regional meet for sure.

I think that with Vogele and Hiluf running the 3200 fresh they might well put up a spectacular race. (Hopefully they will both be able to keep their shoes on.)