Central Buckeye Conference 2020

Graham 14, North Union 13 Final

Congrats to Graham on the win as they could possibly go 6-0 now. Too many turnovers and penalties and obviously the missed PAT killed the Cats.

Dumb question, what conference was North Union in before joining the CBC?
Remember....there are no dumb questions, just dumb people.

Looks like NU has not figured out their offense. Thought their QB had a good arm and few athletes, but didnt have much of an identity. Wanted to run the spread for awhile, the wing t or whatever for awhile. A few weeks to figure it out before it starts for real.

I'm very surprised to see North Union struggle offensively with all of the returning skill position talent that they have. I still think they could be an interesting team in a few weeks if they can put the pieces together.

Nice win for Graham. Would have to think that their chances of an undefeated regular season are pretty good at this point. This week I'd look for them to seek some retribution and run it up a bit for all of the rear end kickings they've taken from Urbana over the years.

North Union made so many mistakes. And Graham made them pay. Undisciplined mistakes too. They must have jumped into the neutral zone 5 or 6 times during the game. If Graham went "on two", NU was a sucker everytime.

Graham looked smaller, but faster. Their defense was able to flow really fast outside. Surprised North Union didnt try to run more counter/trap stuff to take advantage. Graham LB's were able to plug when they did. NU loved the toss play but Graham was just too fast. NU had a few big plays, but mistakes doomed any success they had. Take away those mistakes and NU probably wins. But Graham has really improved. Kuddos to the coaches and players!

Graham needs to shore up its deep passing defense. They did a fine job against the short game and knocking balls down. But this is two weeks in a row a Graham defender got beat deep. That might be the chink in their armor.

All in all, a thrilling game a fun to watch. Congrats to both teams for a hard fought game.

Alder looked really sharp against Bellefontaine, they have shown improvement each week. I wasn’t expecting that type of beat down. If they come to play like that each week, they will be tough to beat the next 3 weeks.

Alder looked really sharp against Bellefontaine, they have shown improvement each week. I wasn’t expecting that type of beat down. If they come to play like that each week, they will be tough to beat the next 3 weeks.

I didn’t anticipate a 38-0 halftime score...and it wasn’t even that close.

I think Graham could give North Union a tougher game than once thought. North Union isn't as strong up front on offense as they have been in the 't past. Also their big physical back is battling a nagging lower leg injury that seems to really slow him down. Hopefully he is fully healthy soon but if he is not that is big deal to the overall function of their offense. Obviously both teams have to take care of business this week but if they do I believe NU and Graham will be playing for league championship in Week 3 and it will be a battle.
I had a hunch how this one would go. haha. In all seriousness North Union should have won this game by at least a couple of touchdowns. They simply had more talent. Their offensive coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Their coach has always coached more not to lose and it tends to keep opponents in the game when they otherwise shouldn't be. Also besides being ultra conservative NU doesn't seem to have an identity. Their coach needs to figure out who they are and stick with it. Also their lack of discipline and lack of energy was very apparent all night. It's hard to win championships when you lead the world in penalties and turnovers. Their coaches better get it figured out. Congratulations to Graham on the upset. They deserved to win. Good teams make the most of their opportunities. Graham did exactly that.

Bellefontaine lost a lot last year.

Quite a few upper upperclassmen who are inexperienced are now starting. Pretty sure besides Leeper on defense every returning starter from last season is playing a new position. Then you top that off with the underclassmen that are playing. It’s a recipe that’s great for losses. Also doesn’t help that Newland a returning starter is probably out for the season with knee injury he got in practice right before Shawnee game.

Smith did this team no help.He rode the backs of last years seniors and didn’t let the backups play much and then left.

This is a big season for the new staff to prove that they can develop talent. Time will tell and next season will be a big tell tale sign of the progress.

How do you blame the coaches for not developing talent last year? Were they in any games that had any type of lead to get the younger guys snaps? Besides Urbana and KR the Chiefs were in tight games about every week.

Bellefontaine is bad on the lines. There’s just no other way to put it. Then compound that with by far their best D Lineman, Trent Kelly, being out. I’m not sure there is much they can do to fix it.
KR is a big game. They need to beat them and Tecumseh and try to sneak a win in Round 1.
The loss to Shawnee hurts a lot. If they make an extra point, they are 2-1 and a blowout loss to Alder isn’t that big a deal.

How do you blame the coaches for not developing talent last year? Were they in any games that had any type of lead to get the younger guys snaps? Besides Urbana and KR the Chiefs were in tight games about every week.
Just looking at the finals the backups could have gotten snaps against 40% of their games:

Urbana.
Kenton Ridge.
London.
Tecumseh.

Some programs are good at getting their future snaps, and some are not. I've seen some put their backups in after one drive in the second half against a bad opponent, or with 6 min to go in the third against a good team who has firepower and come back and starters still in, and some who will ride their starters till the end no matter.

It’s called play them in blowouts and not wait until the last possession of the game. You also build
depth by playing the subs in games on a consistent basis. Good coaches figure out how to get subs in.

Week 4? Who do you like this week? Where are you headed? ?? That is.....if you get a ticket around here.
Urbana @ Graham
Ben Logan
@ Indian Lake
Tecumseh @ Alder
Bellefontaine @ Kenton Ridge
Shawnee @ London
Northwestern @ North Union

I’m sure London is looking for some payback against Shawnee after last years loss. I will be taking in the Alder game. Good luck to all teams, hoping for another week of normalcy

I will be at the London/Shawnee game. I have no idea what to expect in this game. I could see anything from a Shawnee win to London beating the brakes off Shawnee.

Bellefontaine is young and inexperienced. Many Knew that the D line and o line would struggle badly this year after what they lost. It’s hard to replace what they had the last couple years in the trenches and many could say the seniors from last year probably had one of the best O lines in school history although that is a big stretch from me but I have watched a good amount of there games the last 3 years. But I do believe they sent 2 kids to Ashland university up front??? and if that’s the case you’d bet for a major drop off Espcially replacing them with very young guys. The future is still bright for the chiefs but they will continue tI go through growing pains as the season loves along.

Nwwarrior09 you have alot of insight in to the program. Let's just say conversations were had about the vision of the offense moving forward after a 6-4 year and it was adamantly expressed to the Head Coach from the OC and several others that Ben was not and did not want to be a 25 carry a game kid. The HC made the decision that they were going to the Wing T and focusing on maximizing Ben's touches at RB/Wing. The OC and Oline coach resigned/moved on. The OC is now at Stebbins who is currently 3-0. And Ben has offers....so great decision on all fronts. These two coaches were the last two to step down from the playoff coaching staff. There's your factual insight as to what went down. Northwestern has a young and inexperienced varsity coaching staff.

Appreciate the insight. I'm not in-tune enough anymore to know of any internal staff disagreements, but from the handful of games that I watched last year along with following the stats there seemed to be a very big shift in offensive philosophy after a few games to heavily relying on Ben as a runner and riding him as far as he could take them. From a standpoint of wins and losses, I think it was a good move...but from the standpoint of further developing the kid and preserving his health, not so much.

Hopefully even bigger offers will come for Ben. I personally think he's an equal if not better WR prospect than the Stephens kid that graduated from Springfield last year who's now at Toledo.

Alder is going to give teams fits! They are well disciplined team and they are deep. The can run, pass and have a great kicking game. Going to be tough to beat.

Alder is going to give teams fits! They are well disciplined team and they are deep. The can run, pass and have a great kicking game. Going to be tough to beat.

This team is a step below last year's squad, but still some good talent and chemistry. Defense/Special teams haven't missed a beat from last year. Defense hasn't really been tested in the passing game yet, secondary does have some tackling issues that will need corrected against the better teams. Offense is starting to find its groove, probably not as lethal, not as many home run hitters as last year, but still pretty good balance.

Alder/London/Shawnee will be some good games on the horizon. Jury is still out on how good Shawnee is after needing overtime to beat Bellefontaine. This week should be a really good test to see if Shawnee is a contender or not.

This team is a step below last year's squad, but still some good talent and chemistry. Defense/Special teams haven't missed a beat from last year. Defense hasn't really been tested in the passing game yet, secondary does have some tackling issues that will need corrected against the better teams. Offense is starting to find its groove, probably not as lethal, not as many home run hitters as last year, but still pretty good balance.

Alder/London/Shawnee will be some good games on the horizon. Jury is still out on how good Shawnee is after needing overtime to beat Bellefontaine. This week should be a really good test to see if Shawnee is a contender or not.

Can anyone give me some input if I go to London, can I see the game from my car, under a tree, etc? Please advise. Thanks so much!