Central Buckeye Conference 2020

Jason Brown rehired as Bellefontaine head coach. Didn’t see that coming, was told he had pulled his name. While I like and respect brown, chiefs missed a prime opportunity

Jason Brown rehired as Bellefontaine head coach. Didn’t see that coming, was told he had pulled his name. While I like and respect brown, chiefs missed a prime opportunity

Any idea who else applied?

AD Comstock said there were 20+that "threw their hat in the ring", but did not elaborate as to who. I would think that not all 20+ were interviewed

Have not heard, but heard weeks ago that Coach Brown was leading that pack the whole time. I had an earlier post as to why I thought he would be a different coach than the first time around. Sure enough Brown talked about his time in south Florida on The Peak of Ohio web site.

Have not heard, but heard weeks ago that Coach Brown was leading that pack the whole time. I had an earlier post as to why I thought he would be a different coach than the first time around. Sure enough Brown talked about his time in south Florida on The Peak of Ohio web site.
I’ve heard from multiple people that are close with the program say that coach brown turned down the job in early January. So he must’ve had a change at heart or he was there only option.

It was his job the entire time worst kept secret In town. Rumors are rumors and most on here get info 2nd and 3rd hand and not direct from somebody within the program.

Other than the 4 or so mentioned previously, no. Brown is a great guy and did a good job last time. I just really think the kid from kenton is going to make a heckuva head coach.
Gotcha. Still plenty of gigs out there for him to apply for if he is interested in being a head coach. Hopefully he applies for the Allen East gig.

that’s incorrect
I’m aware. Coach Brown withdrew before the interview process began. He simply offered to step up if there were no coaches to make the program better.
Connelly withdrew after the first round of interviews, and Turner came to BHS yesterday to accept the job and got cold feet and turned it down.
Coach Brown was willing to be an assistant to the right coach for the betterment of the program.
He accepted after all other options were exhausted.

Last edited:
I’m aware. Coach Brown withdrew before the interview process began. He simply offered to step up if there were no coaches to make the program better.
Conley withdrew after the first round of interviews, and Turner came to BHS yesterday to accept the job and got cold feet and turned it down.
Coach Brown was willing to be an assistant to the right coach for the betterment of the program.
Does not quite seem like a ringing endorsement, but the program will be fine as they have a lot of talent coming up.

Does not quite seem like a ringing endorsement, but the program will be fine as they have a lot of talent coming up.
May not seem like a ringing endorsement - but its absolutely the right hire and best guy for the job. Strong leader and passionate about this program, this community and making it the very best it can be. He will hire a great staff which will be a big improvement - and it will be a program which makes the Chieftain family very proud. The other 2 final candidates which were considered imo seemed to have significant risk and were really unproven in leading a program - which is significantly different than being a JH coach or having great plans on paper.

Connelly withdrew after the first round of interviews, and Turner came to BHS yesterday to accept the job and got cold feet and turned it down.

that’s exactly what I edited out of my post. I was hoping someone else would tell the story. Haha. This is how it went down.

T
2003 2-8
2004 5-5
2005 4-6
2006 5-5
2007 9-2 (Lost to Shelby in first round)
2008 5-5
2009 8-3 (Lost to Watterson in first round)
Overall record: 38-34 (.528 winning percentage)
that 2009 team was arguably the best team bellefontaine has had as far as raw talent and speed. Would’ve loved to seen that speed in today’s modern offensive schemes.

I’m confused....Brown sat back and let others take a stab at the job first and when they all turned it down said aww heck, I’ll take it? That’s not very comforting if I am Bellefontaine, not is it comforting that Bellefontaine allowed this scenario to play out. I want someone who absolutely is jumping over my desk for the job.

I’m confused....Brown sat back and let others take a stab at the job first and when they all turned it down said aww heck, I’ll take it? That’s not very comforting if I am Bellefontaine, not is it comforting that Bellefontaine allowed this scenario to play out. I want someone who absolutely is jumping over my desk for the job.
I’m with you. 20 some applied, supposedly the two favorites ended up turning it down for one reason or another.
The job is then awarded to someone who seems wishy washy on taking the job in the first place?
The other 17-20 apps must have been very unimpressive.

What would have made the Kenton Kid a "heckuva head coach" and why did he turn it down?

Let me preface by saying that I don't know him from Adam. But based on what I've seen and been told, he's a very high IQ offensive mind. Has a ton of respect from others in the industry and knows the game like very few. I don't know his reasoning for turning the job down, but he did in the final hour. I'm guessing Kenton made some promises to retain him. All speculation though.

Not to familiar with the previous coach...I figured Kenton's 5 wide mentality would gel with the big time freshman class coming up. Anyone saying Bellefontaine can't run the 5 wide is ignorant....he will have WAY more than enough athletes walking the halls of BHS.

Not to familiar with the previous coach...I figured Kenton's 5 wide mentality would gel with the big time freshman class coming up. Anyone saying Bellefontaine can't run the 5 wide is ignorant....he will have WAY more than enough athletes walking the halls of BHS.

Walking the halls and getting them to play is two different stories. That's why I wouldn't be so fast to talk-up the younger classes that are supposedly loaded. Those kids have to continue to come out and play. I'll take balance over the 5-wide type stuff any day. It has really only worked for Kenton when they had some serious horses, and in the Mauk's case, serious exceptional horses. But, if you run an offense with balance you can cover up some of your softer spots and make it work.

I concur. They have the athletes. It isn't like the Chiefs were a bone or wing-t program with zero WR's.

The 5 wide WR is "sexy" set but not always the most practical and you don't need 5 'great' ones. Kenton's offense loves to throw to the wings to get their athletes in space from sideline to sideline and then once they lure you up the pop it deep, but traditionally can be had if you have quick and speedy DL/LBs to put the pressure, but that is neither here nor there since he didn't get the job.

Anyone know what sort of offense/defense the new coach runs/ran in his previous stint?
Is he the sort of coach who believes in the players adapting to HIS system or does he adapt to the talent/ability he has?

Walking the halls and getting them to play is two different stories. That's why I wouldn't be so fast to talk-up the younger classes that are supposedly loaded. Those kids have to continue to come out and play.
Get the kids excited to play football and the athletes will come out. Plain and simple. The hoops program doesn't look that good judging but the varsity basketball record.
I truly believe the baseball program will make a strong comeback with the grass roots effort of their new HC to rebuild from the ground up.

I believe that if the kids are excited in what they hear and see then they will start coming out.

Kenton Ridge opted to schedule Columbus Independence week 1 instead of Greenon. very disappointed as we all should be. no reason Greenon and Kenton Ridge shouldn’t have gotten this done.