Centerville vs Mentor (Cupps vs Chicone)

Well..... another posted stated something that brought Wayne into the mix. I was stating in my opinion that Wayne could beat Mentor.

you see Mentorgrad stated that noone in the GWOC could beat Mentor..... I disagreed. That is all to see here......

Ok, fair enough.

Congrats Elks on a terrific win. Yes, Mentor wasn't at their best (Elks defense & rebounding certainly had a say in that), but to beat a 25-0 top ranked opponent to make the state finals is pretty awesome. Regardless of what was said here, for a full season Mentor was the real deal...Class act as well.
Do not forget though that you've still got the Big one tomorrow. Stay focused.!

So I missed the final score by saying Elks 75-60 but the spread was pretty close. Now the finals, Elks win by 20 and will be state champs.

People said if Mentor ever played an athletic team with size that defends - it would give them trouble. They ran into a team that contested every shot, rebounded, broke their press and was well coached - that spelled doom. When you mix in that Mentor was ice cold from 3 (which is normally their equalizer) they had no chance to win. The Cards needed one of those games where Chicone went off for 40 - the Elks were not going to let him beat them. He was a non factor for the first time in his HS career.

Anyone think depth perception due to shooting in a large venue affected Mentors three game? Not having the back wall of a H.S. gym behind the baskets will trip you up.

Anyone think depth perception due to shooting in a large venue affected Mentors three game? Not having the back wall of a H.S. gym behind the baskets will trip you up.
I played in several venues like that during out tourney run. It honestly didn’t bother me. Didn’t even think about it

I haven't noticed there being any depth perception trouble with shooting on outdoor courts. So there shouldn't be problems with depth perception indoors, no matter what the size of arena.

Kyle E Woyote...I was wondering where you've been. Elks in the state final...You must be loving that huh?

Kyle E Woyote...I was wondering where you've been. Elks in the state final...You must be loving that huh?
Yes, this is great! I spent a lot of time on Yappi during football season running the KOS contest. I didn't run a KOS basketball contest because there usually aren't too many participants for basketball, and with the pandemic I wasn't sure there would be a basketball season.

I was lucky I got onto Yappi yesterday to see the ELKS made it into the final four, so I listened to the Centerville / Mentor game on the TKDS network I saw on Facebook. I'll be listening to the championship game on TKDS today. I was hoping I could watch the game live online (I live near Seattle), but at least I can listen to the game.

I could probably watch a replay on Youtube TV. They have the replay of the Centerville / Moeller game that I'm watching now.

Nooks, you must be excited about the ELKS in the championship game too! It should be great, GO ELKS!

Yes, this is great! I spent a lot of time on Yappi during football season running the KOS contest. I didn't run a KOS basketball contest because there usually aren't too many participants for basketball, and with the pandemic I wasn't sure there would be a basketball season.

I was lucky I got onto Yappi yesterday to see the ELKS made it into the final four, so I listened to the Centerville / Mentor game on the TKDS network I saw on Facebook. I'll be listening to the championship game on TKDS today. I was hoping I could watch the game live online (I live near Seattle), but at least I can listen to the game.

I could probably watch a replay on Youtube TV. They have the replay of the Centerville / Moeller game that I'm watching now.

Nooks, you must be excited about the ELKS in the championship game too!. It should be great, GO ELKS!
Cant you just buy the game online ? Search ohsaa tv and there is a boxcast site where you can buy the stream. Yesterday it was 10 bucks

Oh, this run has been really cool. Never would I have imagined 30 years ago that the Elks would be playing again for a state title in basketball before football. This Coach Cupps is really special. Kinda like Bob Gregg was for football. Too bad they can't "pack" the UD arena for tonight's game. That place can really rock when its full...Good luck Elks.

Congrats to Centerville, they played really well yesterday. Their length, athleticism, and most importantly - their discipline was what made life so difficult for Mentor. Yeah, their shooting stunk (3-25 from 3FG). The rebounding (37-14 edge to Centerville) difference was unbelievable. Mentor has played bigger teams this year, including fellow Final Four rep St Ignatius and Massillon Jackson. They always held their own on the boards.

The game was lost in the 2nd quarter. Centerville had a nice 15-7 cushion after the first quarter. But Mentor held the Elks to just two points through the first 7 minutes of the quarter. Unfortunately, Mentor’s offense couldn’t score either. That was their opportunity to get back in the game. It got as close as 17-12, but a 5-0 run after a timeout pushed it out to ten points. Centerville mostly held a double digit lead the rest of the half.

Cupps, Rolf, and House are a tremendous and versatile big three. Centerville played nine yesterday due to foul trouble. Mentor couldn’t really close any gap even with Cupps and Rolf sitting for stretches. Deng did a tremendous job on Chicone.

Only two things looked “Mentor-like” yesterday. They forced a lot of turnovers on defense, the Elks had 19 for the game. Steven Key played extremely well too. Outside of that, nothing looked like it had all season.

Disappointing ending aside, Luke Chicone will go down as one of the very best to ever play at Mentor. And we know Coach Krizancic is one of the all-time best in Ohio history. I would’ve loved to see them play a little better yesterday and give themselves a chance. A perfect regular season. A 15th district title. Their third Final Four since 2010.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed there being any depth perception trouble with shooting on outdoor courts. So there shouldn't be problems with depth perception indoors, no matter what the size of arena.
I have heard this mentioned over the years especially in the final 4 where they play on elevated courts in football doomed stadiums.

I have heard this mentioned over the years especially in the final 4 where they play on elevated courts in football doomed stadiums.
The issue is more with lighting differences in the big spaces. Gyms are consistently lit while arenas have var shades of darkness in the depths.

Congrats Elks.....

GWOC!

I felt that Central made a mistake taking time off the clock on the last possession. They should of just ran their offense and take the best shot available. Centerville did a great job in the last 10 seconds preventing a good shot attempt.

Definitely felt like two evenly matched teams with very contrasting styles in this one. I'd put this game up there with the Jackson/Moeller championship game in 2017 as an instant classic. I'd definitely agree that Westerville Central should have been more direct trying to get downhill at the rim in the closing moments. Defensively, Centerville did a great job of choking down the clock in the last possession.

Great job Elks.

Congrats to Centerville, and congrats to WC on an excellent season. Tasos Cook from WC: kid never played varsity until his junior season.

Congrats to Centerville, and congrats to WC on an excellent season. Tasos Cook from WC: kid never played varsity until his junior season.

i really hate to rag on chicone but he was the worst guard in this whole tournament and I'm still wondering how he is going to d1 when his own teammate and these other guards aren't

I thought that he was very impressive...seems to be one of those kids that just kept working at it and bloomed late. Hopefully he has some low-major D1s and strong D2s jump on him after their tournament run, because he can definitely play at that level. Things are a bit different this year with limited recruiting and a large girth of D1 transfers, but he seems to be this year's Torrey Patton (Trotwood) or Sincere Carry (Solon) that should see a massive stock rise after the state tournament.

i really hate to rag on chicone but he was the worst guard in this whole tournament and I'm still wondering how he is going to d1 when his own teammate and these other guards aren't

I think you're strongly underrating a combination of Centerville's defense and the kid having a poor shooting night from three in probably the only "arena" backdrop he played in this year...the last few weeks Centerville's half court defense was lights out and they did a good job of eliminating transition opportunities outside of their turnovers.

I think you're strongly underrating a combination of Centerville's defense and the kid having a poor shooting night from three in probably the only "arena" backdrop he played in this year...the last few weeks Centerville's half court defense was lights out and they did a good job of eliminating transition opportunities outside of their turnovers.

well it sure doesn't help to shoot bad when your slow and not athletic. See 0 skills that translate to college. Those other guards could miss and still showed out. Centerville actually isn't a very athletic team so if you look unathletic against them that's pretty bad. The only reason Central was in the game was they had quick guards

Chicone didn't have a great game, but he was definitely not slow and unathletic. His handle is tight and quick and it looked like there were a lot of times he would've otherwise stepped into a jumper off the dribble, but a second Centerville defender was there.