Centerville vs Mentor (Cupps vs Chicone)

Kyle_E_Woyote

I have heard this mentioned over the years especially in the final 4 where they play on elevated courts in football doomed stadiums.
I can see your point. Indoors in arena’s glass backboards are used, so depth perception could be an issue. I was comparing this to outdoor courts, but on second thought, outdoor courts usually have solid backboards, which gives shooters depth perception.

UCArch

I played in several venues like that during out tourney run. It honestly didn’t bother me. Didn’t even think about it
Similar experience and agree completely - while you’re playing, it doesn’t even cross your mind. The people that make this excuse are either 1) people that have heard this over the years and think it’s actually true or 2) had a bad game in an arena and used it as an excuse.

nwwarrior09

Bucknut5...
Do you have anything good to say? Centerville, as poorly athletic as they are (according to you), in the last 2 weeks just knocked off the #5, #3 (and defending state champs), #1... and finally #7 ranked teams in the state. Thanks anyway...
Elks were so unathletic they only gave up 43 ppg from the district finals onward knocking off 4 of the top-7 teams in the state from the AP poll. Great post. Some people can't help themselves but to focus on something in the most negative context possible.

Last edited:

The Dock

I thought that he was very impressive...seems to be one of those kids that just kept working at it and bloomed late. Hopefully he has some low-major D1s and strong D2s jump on him after their tournament run, because he can definitely play at that level. Things are a bit different this year with limited recruiting and a large girth of D1 transfers, but he seems to be this year's Torrey Patton (Trotwood) or Sincere Carry (Solon) that should see a massive stock rise after the state tournament.
Funny that you mention Cook, re: low-D1 interest and the Carry comparison!

Per Zach Fleer of @270Hoops, he's had some coaches from the MEAC/SWAC, Horizon Leagues reach out to him after the tourney. Duquesne also reached out to him, and Carry just transferred out of there a few months ago.

I also want to add that he has a strong reputation of being a very happy, positive and upbeat kid on-and-off the court.

nwwarrior09

Funny that you mention Cook, re: low-D1 interest and the Carry comparison!

Per Zach Fleer of @270Hoops, he's had some coaches from the MEAC/SWAC, Horizon Leagues reach out to him after the tourney. Duquesne also reached out to him, and Carry just transferred out of there a few months ago.

I also want to add that he has a strong reputation of being a very happy, positive and upbeat kid on-and-off the court.
He resembles the Carry kid a lot physically...very quick and for his age he's already pretty well chiseled physically. Definitely passes the look test of being a low-to-mid major D1 prospect. Glad to see that things are heating up for him and hopefully he finds an offer that's a good fit for him.

eastisbest

I can see your point. Indoors in arena’s glass backboards are used, so depth perception could be an issue. I was comparing this to outdoor courts, but on second thought, outdoor courts usually have solid backboards, which gives shooters depth perception.
Shooting is muscle memory more than aim and shoot I think. Is depth perception an issue? I wonder if anyone practices their kids with no backboard at all? Just hang that hoop off a pole. That'd be an interesting experiment.