Centerville player gets Covid-19.

It is going to happen. Quarantine him for 14 days and check on the rest of the players around him. This is going to be the norm for this season

How many times during the season do you hear a coach say “we have really been dealing with the flu bug the last week or so”....

What athletes do on the weekends and in the evenings should be a concern. It’s now being reported that 18 Clemson players went to a nightclub a couple weeks ago and boom, now they have an outbreak. While going to a nightclub is not something a high school player is doing, their carelessness by not washing their hands, using sanitizer and social distancing during while out in public and on the evening and weekends could be a problem.
I think coaches should remind their athletes that they are not invincible and to follow healthy protocols. It’s inevitable that someone on a team will get it. What we don’t need is panic over it. The next 30 days will be a huge determining factor in what happens to college and high school football.

So this happens in a week during the season, how do some schools treat this who actually plays against Centerville? Let's be realistic, as a coach, I'd say we need to move on, let's go play, but we all know there will be parents making a stink and then as AD, what do you do? Especially if you were in for a blowout loss or something to that degree...ugh, it's coming boys....

I got news for everyone, there are probably a bunch of schools in this state with kids that have this virus. They are most likely asymptomatic and therefore little to no threat to anyone, as the WHO has stated repeatedly. There is no need for the inevitable overreaction that undoubtedly will come, but we as a society are found of unfounded overreactions.

Bellaire and Shadyside have players with the virus. They have shutdown workouts. IF, I say IF the season actually starts, there will be cancelled games every week as virus outbreaks hit teams............... repeatedly.

Bellaire and Shadyside have players with the virus. They have shutdown workouts. IF, I say IF the season actually starts, there will be cancelled games every week as virus outbreaks hit teams............... repeatedly.

Well that would be pretty dumb if a few kids test positive and most of the team isn't positive. But dumbness does seem to be a symptom of this virus.

Well that would be pretty dumb if a few kids test positive and most of the team isn't positive. But dumbness does seem to be a symptom of this virus.
They cancelled the NBA games after a player tested positive. They have been cancelling College football practices after players tested positive. MLB shutdown Spring training in Florida and Arizona after players tested positive. Call it what you want but, the reality of it all, it doesn't look promising for High school sports this Fall. I'm not agreeing with how it's all being handled. I'm just looking at what is happening at the higher levels of the Sporting world.

They cancelled the NBA games after a player tested positive. They have been cancelling College football practices after players tested positive. MLB shutdown Spring training in Florida and Arizona after players tested positive. Call it what you want but, the reality of it all, it doesn't look promising for High school sports this Fall. I'm not agreeing with how it's all being handled. I'm just looking at what is happening at the higher levels of the Sporting world.

I agree, that doesn't make it any less dumb however.

Let’s say this was during the season, who is coving the costs to test the 100+ players on the Centerville team? The school isn’t going to have that much money and let’s say this was found out on a Monday morning, now we have to assume that whoever they played Friday was also exposed. Another round of 100+ tests paid for by who?
Statistics show HS kids are incredibly unlikely to die from it, but “you” telling everyone how they should feel about their kid being put at risk, makes no sense. Plus it is not just about the kid who has it, they go home to parents and grandparents who might actually be likely to die from it.
Also the second an outbreak happens at a school parents will be asking if all protocols were followed and if a school didn’t cross their T’s and dot their I’s, then yes they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit. You know how you prevent that as a school, no sports. We all hate it, but it’s a CYA society.

Well Centerville's voting to lay off teachers and staff tonight due to budget restraints. I highly doubt they have money to afford testing for not just the athletes but the general student body as well. Lets just go ahead and assume that if the games are actually played there will be no fans. Schools can not afford to host sports at that point, especially football

Wonder how the Virus is affecting a young healthy teenager? Hope this kid gets back to feeling 100% asap!

Let’s say this was during the season, who is coving the costs to test the 100+ players on the Centerville team? The school isn’t going to have that much money and let’s say this was found out on a Monday morning, now we have to assume that whoever they played Friday was also exposed. Another round of 100+ tests paid for by who?
Statistics show HS kids are incredibly unlikely to die from it, but “you” telling everyone how they should feel about their kid being put at risk, makes no sense. Plus it is not just about the kid who has it, they go home to parents and grandparents who might actually be likely to die from it.
Also the second an outbreak happens at a school parents will be asking if all protocols were followed and if a school didn’t cross their T’s and dot their I’s, then yes they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit. You know how you prevent that as a school, no sports. We all hate it, but it’s a CYA society.
Isn't the covid testing free?

Yes, probably, since antibiotics don't do anything to treat strep. Good call.
You do realize that strep, with antibiotics, kills on average about 1,600 people a year, mainly children, and can cause countless other major issues. It can also lay asymptomatic for weeks and be spread very easily. But I guess that type of infectious disease didn’t matter much before Ninja Covid.

Good to see the "COVID isn't a big deal" crowd on Yappi migrated over to this thread to complain others talking about the not-a-big-deal-virus.

You do realize that strep, with antibiotics, kills on average about 1,600 people a year, mainly children, and can cause countless other major issues. It can also lay asymptomatic for weeks and be spread very easily. But I guess that type of infectious disease didn’t matter much before Ninja Covid.

This is an oddly obtuse point. Clearly you're trying to get me to downplay the 1,600 deaths, which I won't do. There is, however, a vast difference between what we can do with strep and with COVID right now. Most people know this.

I think at this point we can all see the writing on the wall, there is likely not going to be a football season.... Such a shame too because it's not like other countries haven't already had it and dealt with it. Gonna take the morons to live with minor inconveniences for a couple months for us to get through this and quite frankly that is just not going to happen. Looks like it's on to waiting for a vaccine

I think at this point we can all see the writing on the wall, there is likely not going to be a football season.... Such a shame too because it's not like other countries haven't already had it and dealt with it. Gonna take the morons to live with minor inconveniences for a couple months for us to get through this and quite frankly that is just not going to happen. Looks like it's on to waiting for a vaccine
Negatory we are trending in a direction where we are playing we are already in phase two thats a good sign we are playing, its just expanded testing