Centerville Football

I believe there are a number of factors when comparing Centerville to basketball. Let me preface my comment by saying that Cupps is one of the top 2 coaches in the area hands down but you definitely need talent to win without it you'll only go so far no matter what the sport is. However it is my opinion to no fault of theirs that Cville has benefitted from very weak area in D1 there's only 3 good teams in that division area wide and Cville plays both teams 2x times a year.
Secondly, a good coach will cultivate a culture regardless of talent. Within cultivating that culture he or she will instill winning and life qualities such as work ethic, accountability etc...but to achieve ultimate success you to manifest talent by providing a consistent stable culture. Centerville is simply not as talented as they were when Gregg was there they've always had talented line play, quarterbacks, linebackers, D-ends and Rb's, Gregg cultivated and manifested that talent. On that level you"ll win some games but you don't make deep playoff runs by just getting players to play above beyond their limits.
You have made my point. So is Ullery the right head coach to bring that to football? The first year was promising but the last 3 years has been a disaster. I am not seeing Ullery build the same foundation as Cupps.

I believe there are a number of factors when comparing Centerville to basketball. Let me preface my comment by saying that Cupps is one of the top 2 coaches in the area hands down but you definitely need talent to win without it you'll only go so far no matter what the sport is. However it is my opinion to no fault of theirs that Cville has benefitted from very weak area in D1 there's only 3 good teams in that division area wide and Cville plays both teams 2x times a year.
Secondly, a good coach will cultivate a culture regardless of talent. Within cultivating that culture he or she will instill winning and life qualities such as work ethic, accountability etc...but to achieve ultimate success you to manifest talent by providing a consistent stable culture. Centerville is simply not as talented as they were when Gregg was there they've always had talented line play, quarterbacks, linebackers, D-ends and Rb's, Gregg cultivated and manifested that talent. On that level you"ll win some games but you don't make deep playoff runs by just getting players to play above beyond their limits.
Exactly. This is happening with Cupps in basketball, but football seems tossed by the wind and the flavors of the day. It will take time, and a new coaching regime, to get football to the level you discuss regarding culture.

You have made my point. So is Ullery the right head coach to bring that to football? The first year was promising but the last 3 years has been a disaster. I am not seeing Ullery build the same foundation as Cupps.
No my point is Centerville is not that talented. Diehards will always point to the coaching but sometimes you just don't have the talent.

No my point is Centerville is not that talented. Diehards will always point to the coaching but sometimes you just don't have the talent.
I don't agree here. I could understand the last 2 seasons, but not this year. The Senior class was stronger than the last 2, the Junior class is strong, and the Soph class was also strong coming through the program. Frosh and 8th grade classes are undefeated this year just like the Junior class was. I don't buy that there is no talent in Centerville!

I don't agree here. I could understand the last 2 seasons, but not this year. The Senior class was stronger than the last 2, the Junior class is strong, and the Soph class was also strong coming through the program. Frosh and 8th grade classes are undefeated this year just like the Junior class was. I don't buy that there is no talent in Centerville!
It's the same kids! Of course they're stronger their a year older but their talent level is the same.

Last edited:
I don't know if I agree here. Every basketball game I have watched, it was obvious that Cupps' teams were better prepared and he "out-coached" the opposing coach most of the time. That is not happening in football. There were several games I walked away and thought that the basketball team had no business winning that game because the other team had more talent.
Cupps runs a program down into the lower grades which is a big difference than before. Also a really good basketball mind, and the game preparation is on the college level.

Coach Krzyzewski (Coach K). Lol You have Coach C, out in CVille. Lol start the marketing. He is a good coach; I will give you that much.

Like everybody else. Every era / phase in a program is different. But the point where the basketball team is has been pretty good lately. I've opined in other posts on the reason for Staley teams not going very far. Who else would you say is consistently getting to State for basketball out of this region? Making it to state is great, but consistently making regionals and regional finals to lose to eventual state champs is a good sign that things are being done right and well.
But that was South's situation too in the 90s to mid 2000s. And people there were unhappy that they never got out of the regional and couldn't get over the hump despite all the success they had. People felt South should have won several state championships during that stretch.

Coach Krzyzewski (Coach K). Lol You have Coach C, out in CVille. Lol start the marketing. He is a good coach; I will give you that much.
At least we have basketball season to look forward this year! It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season at the Ville.

At least we have basketball season to look forward this year! It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season at the Ville.

Exactly. The Elks put out a quality product on the hardwood. I always look forward to a good game and a good crowd.

The football offseason will be interesting. The parent group must be kept in their place.

Exactly. The Elks put out a quality product on the hardwood. I always look forward to a good game and a good crowd.

The football offseason will be interesting. The parent group must be kept in their place.
Centerville has had quite a few coaches since they decided to replace the 1st Ullery. What does it say that none of them have worked out and all of them have put out the same product? Why can't they find they coach that can do something?

Centerville has had quite a few coaches since they decided to replace the 1st Ullery. What does it say that none of them have worked out and all of them have put out the same product? Why can't they find they coach that can do something?

1,000,000 question. A lot of things have to go right and patience is not a popular word in sports and that is just one word. Helicopter parents need a hobby.

I think they have had 2 and the first left to spend time with his family if I remember. But agree with HardCorps that patience is not in great supply in Centerville and other places as well.

I think they have had 2 and the first left to spend time with his family if I remember. But agree with HardCorps that patience is not in great supply in Centerville and other places as well.
I think the hard part to swallow is this is the THIRD losing season in a row. Centerville has never had more than 1 losing season in a row since 1980. How much patience should the administration, parents, and players have?

I think the hard part to swallow is this is the THIRD losing season in a row. Centerville has never had more than 1 losing season in a row since 1980. How much patience should the administration, parents, and players have?
Tough question. Some? Will be hard to get a good coach to come in under the pressure of win right away given how the program has slipped.

That roster looks like a sub 500 roster? Is the expectation that the coaches staff should be able to take 3-7 talent and turn that into 7-3? If that is the community expectation good luck.

1,000,000 question. A lot of things have to go right and patience is not a popular word in sports and that is just one word. Helicopter parents need a hobby.
But look at how quick Douglass woke up the sleeping giant of Spfld. Despite the hard times the Elks are having now, they haven't sunk as low as where Springfield was before Douglass

Douglas is a winner. PERIOD. A few have it, many do not.
Gregg did. Centerville sucked before him. A friend of mine Carolyn was the mom of a co-captain of kirk herbstreit. She said when Gregg came, Centerville was very spoiled and cake eaters. In the beginning, Gregg told the players bluntly, "you're gonna work for a living for a change!"

If Springfield won the State championship, what would Centerville think of that? Football is supposed to be their sport and identity. What would they think of another league foe winning it all first?
Douglas is a winner. PERIOD. Few have it, many do not.

If Springfield won the State championship, what would Centerville think of that? Football is supposed to be their sport and identity. What would they think of another league foe winning it all first?

Start looking for a new coach. I think SHS has a little ways to go to catch up with Pick Cent, Eds and X.

I think this is in part due to a generational shift in parenting. Too many helicopter and snowplow parents pampering their kids and kissing their . You see it by just looking at the millennial generation. When I was growing up, HS seniors were like men and women. Today, college seniors look and act like they're 14 years old. And, Gregg's coaching style simply isn't allowed or tolerated these days.
Very true points. Definitely no leadership development going on with the kids. Seems like the tough and grit kids are few and far between anymore.

I believe there are a number of factors when comparing Centerville football and basketball. Let me preface my comment by saying that Cupps is one of the top 2 coaches in the area hands down but you definitely need talent to win without it you'll only go so far no matter what the sport is. However it is my opinion to no fault of theirs that Cville has benefitted from very weak area in D1 there's only 3 good teams in that division area wide and Cville plays both teams 2x times a year. The Dayton D1 sectional has been all GWOC teams so if Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville go different ways 2 of those 3 will end up in the regionals almost by default,

Secondly, a good coach will cultivate a culture regardless of talent. Within cultivating that culture he or she will instill winning and life qualities such as work ethic, accountability etc...but to achieve ultimate success you have to manifest talent by providing a consistent stable culture. Centerville is simply not as talented as they were when Gregg was there. They always had talented line play on both sides, quarterbacks, linebackers, D-ends and Rb's, Gregg cultivated and manifested that talent. On that level you"ll win some games but you don't make deep playoff runs by just getting players to play beyond their limits.
Great statement on culture. Couldn't agree more. Always tried to instill that in my programs. The differences in high culture programs vs. low culture programs is evident, though sometimes overlooked by win/loss records. Unfortunately Centerville has neither culture nor wins in football right now. In basketball, Cupps runs a fantastic program on culture and doesn't let parents run it. Nephew played at the middle school level last year and can't say enough nice things about the basketball program and the development of players. Wins, but also development off the court: community service, morning leadership sessions and high expectations with kids who want to rise to the challenge. Feeds nicely into the high school level. Pansies aren't tolerated.