Centerville Football

I think it is possible to see 5 GWOC teams win in the 1st round. Burg and Creek are probably the only 2 that won't. We will see if the depth of the GWOC was as good as I thought this Friday.

I think it is possible to see 5 GWOC teams win in the 1st round. Burg and Creek are probably the only 2 that won't. We will see if the depth of the GWOC was as good as I thought this Friday.
[/QUOTE

Well. Doesn’t Wayne and elks play each other. So be one them. Northmont. Springfield. Boro. Fairmont? Wow. U r right. I’d love watch that elk Wayne game. And that team better not take fairmont lightly. They actually pretty decent team. If they would go to a spread offense. Get away from the old style run offense they mite start competing better. They seem have decent players every year

I just hope bolts don’t choke. Lol. Take Middletown lightly. But they should win. But then they have play Marysville more likely. But if they pull that off I’d love see them play elks. That b fun game I believe

After watching the Elks lose again, is it time to make a change? There is no excuse to not win with these kids - plenty of talent. Since 1981, the Elks have NEVER had more than 1 losing season in a row, much less 3 seasons. After 2017 season, the 3 year trend is not good (9 wins vs 18 losses)

Last edited:
Pretty good guess here. Kudos to Fairmont, Northmont, Springfield, Boro, and Wayne for 1st round wins. I think Springfield beats Wayne and Northmont beats Marysville in the next round, but Boro falls to Coffman and Fairmont falls to Liberty. It would be great to see 4 GWOC team advance so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Pretty good guess here. Kudos to Fairmont, Northmont, Springfield, Boro, and Wayne for 1st round wins. I think Springfield beats Wayne and Northmont beats Marysville in the next round, but Boro falls to Coffman and Fairmont falls to Liberty. It would be great to see 4 GWOC team advance so we'll see what happens.

I think Wayne could possibly beat Springfield. I’m betting they do. Bolts have a tough game. I’m just worried monarchs control clock to much not giving bolts enough opportunities. Fairmont is a decent team. But I can’t see them beating liberty. Cville played a good game against a Wayne team I think could win the region . But yes I’m for the last gwoc team standing when it’s all said and done

After watching the Elks lose again, is it time to make a change? There is no excuse to not win with these kids - plenty of talent. Since 1981, the Elks have NEVER had more than 1 losing season in a row, much less 3 seasons. After 2017 season, the 3 year trend is not good (9 wins vs 18 losses)
Not only yes but ABSOLUTELY YES. I have followed Elk football for 35 years. I could not be more disappointed with a team and administration that seems to embrace being mediocre. Year after year i have bought the tickets, the programs, the concessions, even traveled to Florida when they played Naples. I appreciated the hard nosed work ethic i always saw in coach Gregg and the elder Ullery. I think this year was the final straw for me. 3 losing seasons in a row is not ok. If there is a Gofundme to bring back Ron Ullery as head coach i will donate to it.

Not only yes but ABSOLUTELY YES. I have followed Elk football for 35 years. I could not be more disappointed with a team and administration that seems to embrace being mediocre. Year after year i have bought the tickets, the programs, the concessions, even traveled to Florida when they played Naples. I appreciated the hard nosed work ethic i always saw in coach Gregg and the elder Ullery. I think this year was the final straw for me. 3 losing seasons in a row is not ok. If there is a Gofundme to bring back Ron Ullery as head coach i will donate to it.
Have you considered the possibility that there's no turning back now? That today's Elks are just an average football program and thats just the way it is

Have you considered the possibility that there's no turning back now? That today's Elks are just an average football program and thats just the way it is
That is a true statement as long as the AD and head coach remain. The right coach influences the program to be successful. There are countless examples of that but for a current example look at Douglas in Springfield. There is a team that had talent over the years but not the right man to turn a so-so team into a contender. His arrival sparked a team that will be competing for league titles and playoff runs for as long as he stays there.

Where’s the link to the Go Fund Me? They were dang near dominate with big Ron. I’d say bring him back.

Not that it really matters, but I see the Elks will play Fairfield this Friday. It seems like a good opportunity to get underclassman more practice and game experience. Although, they are out of the playoffs, I would hope they have some motivation and pride and maybe win the game. Fairfield is 1-6 after losing to Elder in their playoff game.

Puckett would be ideal for Centerville. Parents want him back. Should have given it to him when Roberts left but he didn't have the right last name and wasn't an alum. Administration isn't as gung ho on football as they used to be. Centerville used to set the mark for achievement around Dayton but now just mediocre at best. Unwatchable!! Work ethic is pathethic. Embarassing!! Bob Gregg would be ashamed. Need someone dominant who can bring back the grit Centerville was known for that has been lacking since Ullery Senior left. Pucketts the guy to do that he gets our culture and tradition and can bring it back. Ive coached many years and he is one of the best. Hopefully Centerville will get their head out of their arse get Puckett back there as HC this time, grow some balls and get back to winning.

Puckett would be ideal for Centerville. Parents want him back. Should have given it to him when Roberts left but he didn't have the right last name and wasn't an alum. Administration isn't as gung ho on football as they used to be. Centerville used to set the mark for achievement around Dayton but now just mediocre at best. Unwatchable!! Work ethic is pathethic. Embarassing!! Bob Gregg would be ashamed. Need someone dominant who can bring back the grit Centerville was known for that has been lacking since Ullery Senior left. Pucketts the guy to do that he gets our culture and tradition and can bring it back. Ive coached many years and he is one of the best. Hopefully Centerville will get their head out of their arse get Puckett back there as HC this time, grow some balls and get back to winning.
He definitely paid his dues for that chance. If I am correct, he was the DC when the Elks D was dominate in 2014 and 2017.

That is a true statement as long as the AD and head coach remain. The right coach influences the program to be successful. There are countless examples of that but for a current example look at Douglas in Springfield. There is a team that had talent over the years but not the right man to turn a so-so team into a contender. His arrival sparked a team that will be competing for league titles and playoff runs for as long as he stays there.
I disagree with comparing the Elks to Springfield bc Centerville never had the talent Springfield has always had. By all accounts, even in their heyday, Centerville didn't have many star players. Gregg instilled a culture and work ethic and inspired them to play beyond their limits that made them a formidable team that made up for the lack of individual talent and athleticism that opponents like Springfield had. That's the problem in a nutshell. Lack of talent and inspiration. And, Springfield's talent was divided between 2 schools without the backing of a unified community.

Last edited:
I think this is in part due to a generational shift in parenting. Too many helicopter and snowplow parents pampering their kids and kissing their . You see it by just looking at the millennial generation. When I was growing up, HS seniors were like men and women. Today, college seniors look and act like they're 14 years old. And, Gregg's coaching style simply isn't allowed or tolerated these days.

I disagree with comparing the Elks to Springfield bc Centerville never had the talent Springfield has always had. By all accounts, even in their heyday, Centerville didn't have many star players. Gregg instilled a culture and work ethic and inspired them to play beyond their limits that made them a formidable team that made up for the lack of individual talent and athleticism that opponents like Springfield had. That's the problem in a nutshell. Lack of talent and inspiration. And, Springfield's talent was divided between 2 schools without the backing of a unified community.
I agree with you here. When they consolidated Springfield and brought in Douglas, I knew it was only a matter of time before Springfield became a yearly state contender. He did it at Trotwood with half the enrollment. He is not only keeping his talent from leaving, but he is also attracting move-ins like January (one other from Wayne I can't remember) and Thigpen from Xenia. The brand new schools and facilities don't hurt either.

I agree with you here. When they consolidated Springfield and brought in Douglas, I knew it was only a matter of time before Springfield became a yearly state contender. He did it at Trotwood with half the enrollment. He is not only keeping his talent from leaving, but he is also attracting move-ins like January (one other from Wayne I can't remember) and Thigpen from Xenia. The brand new schools and facilities don't hurt either.
That's another thing. In Centerville's heyday, anyone who wanted to play on a successful team went to Centerville. That's why the other South suburban schools like Fairmont were always just average. Before Springfield consolidated, the talented athletes went to South but South lacked punters, kickers. Lack of competitive special teams was South's downfall every time they had a good team. In 2002, in the regional final they led 28-7 start of the 4th qtr. Then, Findlay started rushing the punter and scored 24 unanswered points to win in the final seconds. That's just one example. North had the soccer program so they had kickers. But they lacked the talent to field competitive teams regularly. So, the new SHS has all the pieces. But also, IMO Douglass inspires his players the way Gregg did. Plus, he's got the talent and athleticism.

January was a move back he is a Springfield kid sk was the other Wayne kid

I do agree that coaching matters. If you look at Elks basketball, Cupps seems to make deep playoffs runs with the same talent level as football. What is the difference?

Nobody else is getting past Moeller in basketball, but Cupps takes his teams right up to that point almost every year. We'll see how the current group does over the next couple of years, but losing a guy to a basketball factory won't help.
But the Elks bball have never gotten out of regional even before Moeller became invincible. Going back to Staley. Both the football and bball Elks are good to a certain point.

Stronger competition in football.
I don't know if I agree here. Every basketball game I have watched, it was obvious that Cupps' teams were better prepared and he "out-coached" the opposing coach most of the time. That is not happening in football. There were several games I walked away and thought that the basketball team had no business winning that game because the other team had more talent.

But the Elks bball have never gotten out of regional even before Moeller became invincible. Going back to Staley. Both the football and bball Elks are good to a certain point.
I think Elks football fans would take a winning season at this point and would lose our minds if we made it to the Elite 8 like basketball (region finals)

I believe there are a number of factors when comparing Centerville football and basketball. Let me preface my comment by saying that Cupps is one of the top 2 coaches in the area hands down but you definitely need talent to win without it you'll only go so far no matter what the sport is. However it is my opinion to no fault of theirs that Cville has benefitted from very weak area in D1 there's only 3 good teams in that division area wide and Cville plays both teams 2x times a year. The Dayton D1 sectional has been all GWOC teams so if Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville go different ways 2 of those 3 will end up in the regionals almost by default,

Secondly, a good coach will cultivate a culture regardless of talent. Within cultivating that culture he or she will instill winning and life qualities such as work ethic, accountability etc...but to achieve ultimate success you have to manifest talent by providing a consistent stable culture. Centerville is simply not as talented as they were when Gregg was there. They always had talented line play on both sides, quarterbacks, linebackers, D-ends and Rb's, Gregg cultivated and manifested that talent. On that level you"ll win some games but you don't make deep playoff runs by just getting players to play beyond their limits.

Last edited:
Like everybody else. Every era / phase in a program is different. But the point where the basketball team is has been pretty good lately. I've opined in other posts on the reason for Staley teams not going very far. Who else would you say is consistently getting to State for basketball out of this region? Making it to state is great, but consistently making regionals and regional finals to lose to eventual state champs is a good sign that things are being done right and well.