Centerville Elite Tournament

Back and forth game 1, between Elder and Moe, set goes to Moe 25-22.

Darby took game 1 from Ignatius, even til about 15 but Darby pulled away late. 25-18/19ish

Moeller takes game 2, 25-19, led 18-7

Darby storms back from down 15-16 on a 10-point run to win it 25-16

Last edited:
Moeller takes early lead in the 3rd and wins it 25-23.

Darby does the same to Ignatius and pulls away late 25-19.

Looks like the seedings are correct so far. The current two best teams in the state are meeting each other in the finals. This match between Moeller and Darby should be great.

Championship Match
Archbishop Moeller vs. Hilliard Darby

3rd Place Match
Elder vs. St Ignatius

5th Place Match
St Xavier vs. Centerville

7th Place Match
Pickerington North vs. St Edward

Darby hung a tighter in game 2 until the end, but Moe pulls away 25-19.

Ignatius and Elder played tight until 14-13 but Elder goes on a run and takes game 2, 25-16.

Darby comes back and blows out Moeller in game 3, 25-17.

Elder pulls away from Ignatius in 3, the marathon of a match they played earlier started catching up with them 25-18.

adselder09 (or anyone else who knows)...

Assuming Centerville gets a spot as the host team every year, how is the lineup of teams determined for this tournament? Is it set prior to the season? Is one of the polls earlier in the season used? Although the other 7 teams (incl. Centerville) are actually in the top 7 poll spots, St. Edward is outside the top 10.

It's usually the same top teams every year, so they are staples for the tournament. There is usually a team like eds this year who isn't in the top eight, however they're usually good. The actual seeding is based on the state rankings from the week prior.

It's usually the same top teams every year, so they are staples for the tournament. There is usually a team like eds this year who isn't in the top eight, however they're usually good. The actual seeding is based on the state rankings from the week prior.

Thanks... I figured you could (almost) always count on X, Moeller, Elder, Darby, Centerville and Ignatius. I know that Davidson has been invited in years past, but lost a lot to graduation, so I was wondering if it was just a good call that Pick North would be somewhere in the top 8-10 teams. I figured that the seeding would be easier, because (like you said), just use most recent poll results.

adselder09 (or anyone else who knows)...

Assuming Centerville gets a spot as the host team every year, how is the lineup of teams determined for this tournament? Is it set prior to the season? Is one of the polls earlier in the season used? Although the other 7 teams (incl. Centerville) are actually in the top 7 poll spots, St. Edward is outside the top 10.

This tournament is set up the previous year, but they really try to get the 8 best teams together. Typically St Ignatius and St Edward come down from the North, Centerville is there as the host, Darby has been a staple for a few years now and then the 3CL (Elder, Moeller, X). The 8th spot has rotated based on the state's best or potential. Davidson, Lakota West, Beavercreek and Northmont, (maybe Gahanna) and then Pickerington North today.

The state poll is used to seed the field in the typical 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and 4-5 matchups.

In game 4, Bowling didn't play the last half of the game with leg issues. He was able to play game 5 in the front row only.

In game 4, Bowling didn't play the last half of the game with leg issues. He was able to play game 5 in the front row only.

Saw him go down after a serve in Game 3 that was hit way wide. Couldn't tell if it was an ankle or not, but after laying there for a couple minutes he popped up and seemed to walk it off.

Full Results:

First Round
Archbishop Moeller def. St Edward 25-13, 25-13, 25-17
Hilliard Darby def. Pickerington North 25-22, 25-14, 25-19
St Ignatius def. St Xavier 25-23, 25-21, 19-25, 24-26, 23-21
Elder def. Centerville 25-17, 26-24, 25-18

Semifinals
Archbishop Moeller def. Elder 25-22, 25-19, 25-23
Hilliard Darby def. St Ignatius 25-17, 25-16, 25-19

Centerville def. St Edward 25-21, 25-14, 25-19
St Xavier def. Pickerington North 27-29, 25-21, 25-17, 25-17

Championship Match
Hilliard Darby def. Archbishop Moeller 17-25, 19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 15-11

3rd Place Match
Elder def. St Ignatius 29-27, 25-16, 25-18

5th Place Match
St Xavier def. Centerville 26-24, 25-17, 25-12

7th Place Match
Pickerington North def. St Edward 25-21, 25-15, 22-25, 25-11

This tournament showed a lot about the teams that participated. St. Xavier has no consistency losing to St. Ignatius during their first match and going on to beat Centerville handily during their last match. Elder played well but even at their best they seemed to fall far short of Moeller and Darby talent-wise. Centerville is a strong team but relies too much on a few good hitters. Pickerington North is essentially a one-man show. Moeller plays incredibly well in spurts but then lets the other team go on long and costly runs. Darby is also extremely good but shows its weakness when it is out of system on the second ball and cannot set the front row. As of right now, Moeller and Darby stand a head above the rest of the teams in the state.

Elder and St X did not play their best in this tournament outside of their matches against Centerville. Moeller played their best ball through 2 matches and half of the Darby match. I honestly can't see them playing any better than they did.

Elder and St X did not play their best in this tournament outside of their matches against Centerville. Moeller played their best ball through 2 matches and half of the Darby match. I honestly can't see them playing any better than they did.

Moeller has plenty of room for improvement. The amount of balls they hit into a block or let drop into deep corners costs them tons of points. If any team has been improving lately, it would be Moeller. Darby seems to be improving as well, and they can definitely work on lowering hitting errors. Elder appears to be stagnant and St. X is declining if anything. Centerville just got their best hitter back so they will most likely get better as well. I highly doubt the Moeller that played yesterday, or any of the teams in Centerville Elite, will look the same when the State Tournament rolls around.

This tournament showed a lot about the teams that participated. St. Xavier has no consistency losing to St. Ignatius during their first match and going on to beat Centerville handily during their last match. Elder played well but even at their best they seemed to fall far short of Moeller and Darby talent-wise. Centerville is a strong team but relies too much on a few good hitters. Pickerington North is essentially a one-man show. Moeller plays incredibly well in spurts but then lets the other team go on long and costly runs. Darby is also extremely good but shows its weakness when it is out of system on the second ball and cannot set the front row. As of right now, Moeller and Darby stand a head above the rest of the teams in the state.

I strongly agree, Moeller's weakness is when they lose a few points in a row, they lose their energy and momentum making them incredibly vulnerable to long runs. Darby's passing isn't the best and even though they have Ian Cowen to set a nearly perfect ball every time, there are still times where they are our of system and play like an average team. If these teams can fix their problems, I honestly don't know who would win and it's pretty much a coin toss. It all depends on who gains the momentum at the right time.

If I was coaching Darby or Moeller, I would focus on ball control. Cowen does a great job of setting the ball but better passing would still help them tremendously. Moeller has lots of heavy hitters and more in system balls would allow them to take advantage of their front row.

Looks like Moeller is still holding down the #1 spot in the State Rankings. Hilliard Darby has more first place votes (17-6), but fewer points (211-220).