CDA issues

You shouldn’t believe everything you hear from the town hall meeting. Lots of promises and everything looks good on the slide show but what is actually provided has not lived up to what was promised on a basic level. Heard there will be lots of movement this year.

Still the best way to get information and movement happens every year. Nothing new to that. Just like hearing about mergers. I heard WCSC, CSA, Impact, Lakota FC and OE are merging into a mega club.. lol lol

That meeting isn't a response to any critiscm. It's a normal informational meeting for all current or prospective parents and players. Nothing he said is some change from this year for the next. You really think those guys are watching Yappi and changing their club based on the fools here??? Lol

That's what's been so frustrating on this board. The DA has never marketed itself as an "avenue to the top," whether that be the national team or the pros. Hell, it has never even said it's the way to college either. It HAS said that USA Soccer wanted a program like the DA so that it could better identify players it may want for the national program by having them in a controlled environment where they also had better access to them (it is mandatory that a certain percentage of DA games be attended by US soccer recruits). But the #1 goal is to provide the best environment for players to train and maximize their development.

The 2nd part about also maximizing their growth into adults is more the club goal rather than DA. I know that is a big part of CU/CUP. I can't speak for Kings Hammer, but I'm sure they aren't much different, as this is something most all clubs work to achieve. Some just have it as more of a priority than others. Don't get it twisted, you are choosing the DA for its elite level training and competition. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'll have to disagree with you on #1... the DA has absolutely been driven and marketed as the avenue to the NT. Player development is focused solely on the top 2-3 kids on each roster with the rest getting what they get as a by-product.

The international substitution rules and the lock-down on playing games for other teams are detrimental to the 14 kids on an 18 girl roster that only get half a game once a week (if that)....

Training in the DA is great, because it's with the best girls in the region (sorry OE), but the ability to actually play the game is unnecessarily restrictive. This is not the fault of the local DA, but is a function of the US Girls DA and its one-dimensional goal to get girls into the National Team.

I'll have to disagree with you on #1... the DA has absolutely been driven and marketed as the avenue to the NT. Player development is focused solely on the top 2-3 kids on each roster with the rest getting what they get as a by-product.

The international substitution rules and the lock-down on playing games for other teams are detrimental to the 14 kids on an 18 girl roster that only get half a game once a week (if that)....

Training in the DA is great, because it's with the best girls in the region (sorry OE), but the ability to actually play the game is unnecessarily restrictive. This is not the fault of the local DA, but is a function of the US Girls DA and its one-dimensional goal to get girls into the National Team.
There is NOBODY that isn't getting substantial game playing time on a DA team. There are minimum start rules for that very reason. People have overexaggarated the international rules. Are you also going to say that by using the FIFA rules players are unprepared for the college game? That's usually the next one. Because of course limited substitutions and clock counting up instead of down is going to have kids completely forget how to play soccer.

And saying only a few kids get real training and the rest get whatever is left isn't even worth addressing.

You shouldn’t believe everything you hear from the town hall meeting. Lots of promises and everything looks good on the slide show but what is actually provided has not lived up to what was promised on a basic level. Heard there will be lots of movement this year.

Well, there were absolutely 0 promises made during the meeting. I'd like to hear what they don't provide that was in the slide show. Please be specific and factual.

They actually touched on the substitutions. U14 and I think U15 have re-entry and they sort of teased that this may be expanded to all age groups at some point in the future, but it's ultimately up to US Soccer.

There is NOBODY that isn't getting substantial game playing time on a DA team. There are minimum start rules for that very reason. People have overexaggarated the international rules. Are you also going to say that by using the FIFA rules players are unprepared for the college game? That's usually the next one. Because of course limited substitutions and clock counting up instead of down is going to have kids completely forget how to play soccer.

And saying only a few kids get real training and the rest get whatever is left isn't even worth addressing.

Do the math. 18 players on a team. 11 on the field. 3-4 kids that are "on the national team watch list" will play the whole game, every game. The rest are left with playing 1/2 a match. ONCE a week at best, more like 3 times/month for 10 months...

The DA will tout its "encouragement" of playing players up an age-group, but really doesn't address the other great players that aren't getting meaningful time playing the game.

All this would be a moot point if those same kids could go play on their second-level team to get more meaningful minutes (just like the real NT rostered players would). But you have to be kidding if you think playing 1/2 a game is meaningful.

Do the math. 18 players on a team. 11 on the field. 3-4 kids that are "on the national team watch list" will play the whole game, every game. The rest are left with playing 1/2 a match. ONCE a week at best, more like 3 times/month for 10 months...

The DA will tout its "encouragement" of playing players up an age-group, but really doesn't address the other great players that aren't getting meaningful time playing the game.

All this would be a moot point if those same kids could go play on their second-level team to get more meaningful minutes (just like the real NT rostered players would). But you have to be kidding if you think playing 1/2 a game is meaningful.
Let's say it's true that 3 or 4 players play all of every game (which I disagree with). Please tell me on what team in any environment where playing time is equal? How about high school? Which is what people seem to be upset that DA kids aren't allowed to play. How many times do you see kids on high school rosters that get close to zero playing time for an entire season? But hey, we can ignore that since they are representing their schools and communities.

You're also ignoring the fact that the DA places more emphasis on training over games. The overwhelming part of their development comes during the week, not on the weekend. There are also opportunities for players to play up an age group for matches, and also 2nd team players to be rostered to the DA team for playing opportunities as a developmental player or part time player. For a player that you've given an example of, one that is struggling finding significant playing time in DA matches, the club should have had them on the 2nd team and eventually added them as a part time player on the DA roster. That would allow them to play 2nd team matches as well as DA matches. You can't start up and play down, but you can start down and play up.

Well, there were absolutely 0 promises made during the meeting. I'd like to hear what they don't provide that was in the slide show. Please be specific and factual.

1. Three directors in a 1 1/2 years.
2. Practice facilities and fields are very random and no winter facilities.
3. All the technology presented sounds amazing except when they don’t really use it. The da has had 3 or 4 different video companies in the past 1 1/2. Film is rarely if ever watched and not broken down for the players like presented. Flat out never happened. The one person who used it was fired and left the da.
4. Individualized coaching does not happen. Even for the girls that make the National team.

Not Saying the da is not a good option. The competition is good. Training with some of the best girls is good. Just saying be careful what you believe and expect. There are definite positives to it and we have to give DR a chance now that he has taken over the Da.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Training is the emphasis in DA?

Games are twice a week (Saturday/Sunday, usually). Many times a Friday and/or Monday is utilized as a travel day OR rehab.prep day. That means four of the seven days are booked with competition, travel, and/or rehab/prep. So, that means three days of potential, meaningful training in a week. Within that three days, there's possibly another rehab day, prep day, or walk through.

How is that valuing training? The DA shares a field for their training, so most of the time there's one goal (at best) utilized for one team. Truly, how many meaningful training days would there be then?

No games from June 10, 2018 to September 8, 2018 (according to USSDA website). Another break from December 9, 2018 to February 2, 2019. That is a 3-month break in the summer and a 2-month break in the winter. Five months off of competition in the year, sure that will lead to more training. That also means that inside of competitive season (7 months) that training could be viewed as less than meaningful.

Games are twice a week (Saturday/Sunday, usually). Many times a Friday and/or Monday is utilized as a travel day OR rehab.prep day. That means four of the seven days are booked with competition, travel, and/or rehab/prep. So, that means three days of potential, meaningful training in a week. Within that three days, there's possibly another rehab day, prep day, or walk through.

How is that valuing training? The DA shares a field for their training, so most of the time there's one goal (at best) utilized for one team. Truly, how many meaningful training days would there be then?

No games from June 10, 2018 to September 8, 2018 (according to USSDA website). Another break from December 9, 2018 to February 2, 2019. That is a 3-month break in the summer and a 2-month break in the winter. Five months off of competition in the year, sure that will lead to more training. That also means that inside of competitive season (7 months) that training could be viewed as less than meaningful.
Careful here... US Soccer mandates 4 training sessions per week and CDA adheres to this requirement. Games are not generally doubled up and are about 3 per month on average. There is really no downtime in the winter and the summer showcase goes through the end of June, so it really is a 10 month season. This is all available on the ussoccer girls DA site. If anything, OVER training has to become an issue.

This being said, the kids in the local DA are without a doubt getting better because they are focused on training and they train with the best. It’s just a matter of whether missing out on the development that comes with playing the game takes a larger toll than what kids of this caliber ought to get during their teenage years.

Philly - Go look at the minutes per game on the DA website per player and you’ll determine very quickly which kids are “on the watch list” and which ones get half a game every week... nobody’s saying they get no minutes, but the focus is most certainly on the top 2-4 and NOT on the other 14. This is pretty consistent across the DA. My point is that the DA does itself a dis-service by not providing pathways for the roster spots 5-18.

Also, you’re kidding yourself if you think there is movement throughout the season from 2nd team to 1st team in an age group. More likely that a younger player already in the DA is pulled up.

Careful here... US Soccer mandates 4 training sessions per week and CDA adheres to this requirement. Games are not generally doubled up and are about 3 per month on average. There is really no downtime in the winter and the summer showcase goes through the end of June, so it really is a 10 month season. This is all available on the ussoccer girls DA site. If anything, OVER training has to become an issue.

This being said, the kids in the local DA are without a doubt getting better because they are focused on training and they train with the best. It’s just a matter of whether missing out on the development that comes with playing the game takes a larger toll than what kids of this caliber ought to get during their teenage years.

Philly - Go look at the minutes per game on the DA website per player and you’ll determine very quickly which kids are “on the watch list” and which ones get half a game every week... nobody’s saying they get no minutes, but the focus is most certainly on the top 2-4 and NOT on the other 14. This is pretty consistent across the DA. My point is that the DA does itself a dis-service by not providing pathways for the roster spots 5-18.

Also, you’re kidding yourself if you think there is movement throughout the season from 2nd team to 1st team in an age group. More likely that a younger player already in the DA is pulled up.
I'm not going to look at the game cards for each game and figure out minutes for each player. I dont care that much to dig that deep. What I did see by looking at each team's page is that no player on any team has started 100% of the games. So just by that it would be impossible for any kid to have played all of every game.

I also noticed that all of the players are listed as full time. Meaning no one on the 2nd teams have been designated as part time in order to get time on the DA teams. Not sure why that's the case. Could it be because in Cincinnati there are other closely camparible options to CDA, so their depth isn't as strong as a city where the DA is the only elite option? The 2nd teams may not have the players that should be moved to PT DA. You say they've changed their directors multiple times? Maybe the instability is affecting rosters. I don't know, but I'm willing to have the conversation. Nothing is ever simply black and white.

Some here have said that CDA has made fake promises. I coach youth baseball. I tell my parents that my goal is for every kid to pitch on my teams. With that said, I won't just put a kid on the mound just to say he pitched. Every kid must first be trained and show that they are ready to pitch in a game. I may go a season where a kid doesn't pitch because he's just not ready. That doesn't mean it wasn't still the goal I was working towards all season. My point is, should CDA be moving kids up simply to show they move kids up even if those kids aren't ready to be moved up?

You guys realize that you're describing ECNL. Same amount of games (About 22 not counting playoffs). Some players play the entire game while others play half (My little Mia has played half games for her 3-year ECNL career). I've never worried because primary development takes place at practice which is top notch. ECNL season takes off July-Nov and 1 month during the winter, which sounds about the same amount of games in the same amount of time.

Really not sure why DA hangs its hat on no HS. Bet that changes sooner or later.

At first glance, there were many doubles on weekends. Looking at the schedule closer, yes, the games are spaced out more. But, there were no games on the schedule in the December-February window (winter showcase is in December listed) -- on the DA site.

Over training? That shouldn't be an issue. The rest of the world does more in soccer, in regards to training (whether official or unofficial) and it's hardly an issue. That's part of the reason why "periodization" is such a buzzword in soccer these days. International clubs train more and play more meaningful competition too.

The biggest reasons to abandon the DA locally and they are the reasons I'm hearing from parents who's kids are playing are two fold.

One is WHO you play against. There is a total lack of competition. You need to play teams that can compete. Honestly the midwest region of the DA is terrible. Many cases they would be better off playing top division of National League than many of the DA teams. And the MW conf is not alone with this issue.

And the other is WHO you are playing for. That means something to girls. BP was the best thing that ever happened to CUP and the DA. And while the Lilliputian king of self importance is trying to fill those shoes, all the false accolades in the world stuffed in there would not make them fit.

I'll be interested now that the "Pre" Da is dead what happens to those girls. I know what I have heard so it'll be interesting. Lots of high caliber girls on those teams at all ages who still wanted to play High School that were hoping for a chance (that never came anyway) to make it to the DA to play at a higher level.

I'll be interested now that the "Pre" Da is dead what happens to those girls. I know what I have heard so it'll be interesting. Lots of high caliber girls on those teams at all ages who still wanted to play High School that were hoping for a chance (that never came anyway) to make it to the DA to play at a higher level.

That doesn't really make sense. Did they want to play high school or did they want to play DA? It cant be both, but you're saying kids played PreDA because they wanted to play high school, but also wanted to play DA.

The biggest reasons to abandon the DA locally and they are the reasons I'm hearing from parents who's kids are playing are two fold.

One is WHO you play against. There is a total lack of competition. You need to play teams that can compete. Honestly the midwest region of the DA is terrible. Many cases they would be better off playing top division of National League than many of the DA teams. And the MW conf is not alone with this issue.

And the other is WHO you are playing for. That means something to girls. BP was the best thing that ever happened to CUP and the DA. And while the Lilliputian king of self importance is trying to fill those shoes, all the false accolades in the world stuffed in there would not make them fit.

I think the other piece that is missing is WHAT you are playing for. When the 10-month season is all said and done, there's no real TEAM accomplishment to be able to look back on... winning State Cup, Regions, and then Nationals are all legit things that help to put some nearer-term gratification behind the work that's gone on.

I think the other piece that is missing is WHAT you are playing for. When the 10-month season is all said and done, there's no real TEAM accomplishment to be able to look back on... winning State Cup, Regions, and then Nationals are all legit things that help to put some nearer-term gratification behind the work that's gone on.

It's relative. You play through the tension of a playoff race and division standings. Just different TEAM achievements.

“Lilliputian King of Self Importance” wow that’s harsh. Funny as hell but harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So since you think you know what these girls will be doing, want to share with the rest of us?

That doesn't really make sense. Did they want to play high school or did they want to play DA? It cant be both, but you're saying kids played PreDA because they wanted to play high school, but also wanted to play DA.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. There was a belief that if you played on the Pre DA you would get chances to play up with the DA when a need arose. But no different than many other clubs they often pull from the age group down top team rather than from their 2nd team. DA has overall been no different.

Now a 2nd team player did get a shot on the 16/17 team, but not many and not nearly what was flitting around in these young girls minds. At least some of them.

SoccerFan63, I certainly don't know what all are doing but I can tell you I absolutely do with a handful. I've been around CUP and Hammer for a long time and am still close with many families, quite a few are my patients. Not my place to make it public until it is public, no sense in adding drama to a kids life. I will say that I was surprised that those that were told they are being relegated back to their "home" club are going this direction. But really nothing surprises me much anymore.

How do you figure there is only one goal since they have access to other goals or training goals they can use if needed? I know when I train a team I usually have half a field and I have access to training goals. Many times I need to work on things that don't even require full size goals. The ECNL is in the same boat for training too. You also seem to be assuming that all the DA stuff is done away from Cincinnati. How many games are played here an involve only driving to Grooms, Withrow or another location? Three sessions a week and 2 matches is plenty or you get into overuse injuries like you see in HS where they train or have matches upto 6 days a week. I am sure DR and other DA coaches know when their teams need a lighter training day and they do walk throughs, have "no contact" days, or watch videos to help rest players. Seems to me from what I see both the ECNL and DA value training.

How do you figure there is only one goal since they have access to other goals or training goals they can use if needed? I know when I train a team I usually have half a field and I have access to training goals. Many times I need to work on things that don't even require full size goals. The ECNL is in the same boat for training too. You also seem to be assuming that all the DA stuff is done away from Cincinnati. How many games are played here an involve only driving to Grooms, Withrow or another location? Three sessions a week and 2 matches is plenty or you get into overuse injuries like you see in HS where they train or have matches upto 6 days a week. I am sure DR and other DA coaches know when their teams need a lighter training day and they do walk throughs, have "no contact" days, or watch videos to help rest players. Seems to me from what I see both the ECNL and DA value training.

You do realize that the CDA training sessions can be watched in person?

Looks to me the same question can be said about the local ECNL club that seems to be struggling to finish in most age groups higher than 4th and thats with a weakened group since some strong clubs left and were part of the DA. Do you expect them to do better now that some strong clubs have come back to the ECNL? I am not knocking the ECNL just believe they are in a down swing at this time and CUP is in an upswing that dynamic can and will change but it takes a few seasons for it to change. Just saying at this ppoint and time it appears CUP across the board appears to be stronger at this point and time.

I agree the BP moving away hurt but not nearly as much as you like to think. DR being promoted is a great thing. He cares about the players and seems to work hard to make them the best they can be just like DB from OE does. I know kids that play for DR and DB and they love them. I know players that also dislike them. As I have said many times not every coach, club or league is best for an individual and the player needs to be where they believe they will do best be it CUP, KHA, DA, or the ECNL its really that simple. Your blind hatred, demonization and attempted character assassination on certain coaches is glaring and really undermines your credibility at least in my eyes.

Some will go to CUP, KHA, OE or may even decide to move into the DA. Their options are open. I am sure they will pick what is best for them.

You do realize that the CDA training sessions can be watched in person?

Yes they can be watched. At Withrow I have seen 4 full size goals used, Deerpark only has 2 full size goals they bring 2 more collapsible goals and Grooms they access to 4 full size goals and 4 9v9 goals if they need them for a training sessions. Looks like the myth about only having one goal is BUSTED..

Yes they can be watched. At Withrow I have seen 4 full size goals used, Deerpark only has 2 full size goals they bring 2 more collapsible goals and Grooms they access to 4 full size goals and 4 9v9 goals if they need them for a training sessions. Looks like the myth about only having one goal is BUSTED..

Not really busted. Your experiences are different than my experiences. Can both be right? :shrug:

I've got nothing against the CDA. Never have inferred as much. Just stating what I've seen.

At both grooms and voa the boys also use the full sized training goals. I've never felt like facilities and equipment have ever been an issue for training, whether they are outdoors or indoors. I'll speak for the boys side on that though.

I think people are really starting to reach now. I feel like the DA is being compared to MLS clubs as a standard and not instead against other youth clubs in the area, since that is who the choice is between. Where does OE train? Serious question, since all I know is the one park off of Rialto.

At both grooms and voa the boys also use the full sized training goals. I've never felt like facilities and equipment have ever been an issue for training, whether they are outdoors or indoors. I'll speak for the boys side on that though.

I think people are really starting to reach now. I feel like the DA is being compared to MLS clubs as a standard and not instead against other youth clubs in the area, since that is who the choice is between. Where does OE train? Serious question, since all I know is the one park off of Rialto.

I believe OE may train at Seven Hills also and they use the two full size goals that Seven Hills has and OE brings pop up goals when needed too.

Does seem to be reaching by many on here. A lot of soccer training can and does happen at every level without a goal for a few sessions. I am not sure why this is being made into a huge deal. Seems like a non-issue to me.

They will go back to CUP or KHA (if they want the chance to play DA). CUP and KHA are now recognized as feeder clubs for the DA by US Soccer, so they can be pulled up to DA teams when the need arises. Pre DA was only created to have a pool of kids to pull from while also having a product for kids to still play high school.

They will go back to CUP or KHA (if they want the chance to play DA). CUP and KHA are now recognized as feeder clubs for the DA by US Soccer, so they can be pulled up to DA teams when the need arises. Pre DA was only created to have a pool of kids to pull from while also having a product for kids to still play high school.
US Soccer has changed its stance and will recognize CUP, KHA, and "partner clubs" as developmental feeders into CDA... so pretty much the same sub-structure as what CUP DA does on the boys side.

The interesting question is which club is going to get the bids into the National League once the Pre-DA teams are absorbed back into CUP and KHA. That may have an impact on where kids choose to go, especially at the older ages that are prime for college recruiting. Regardless, unless they can manage to keep the Pre-DA teams intact, the net result will be lower quality teams at both CUP and KHA for the time being.