CBC 2021. (Central Buckeye Conference)

Alder would be an imperfect fit in any currently-existing Central District conference. Metro Columbus conference alignments make as much sense the mid-2000's color-coded Homeland Security Advisory System.

Hamilton and Teays could, in theory, form a "Southern Six" conference by convincing Southwestern City Schools to withdraw from the OCC. Those schools could be a potential match for Alder and an 8th, although the travel from points west into that part of Columbus has already been mentioned as being problematic.

Really, what I see, as a possible avenue is if indeed Circleville and Logan Elm try to go south to the Frontier Athletic Conference (FAC) or Scioto Valley Conference (SVC.) From there, the MSL would be tasked with having to do some sort of realignment. That might be enough a push to either realign based on enrollment (was voted down before) or just make four divisions of six. How and what, I'm not too certain.

And how it would even shape future league prospects for Alder, unsure.

It almost feels like Plain City is trying to preserve its small town feel by not bending over backwards for developers. It’s not like the town hasn’t been situated on the edge of suburbia or just outside the outer belt for decades. I know many are often confused where the Alder northern boundaries are, often assuming much of the growth along 33 is JA, when it’s actually Dublin City. At this time, I don’t see a better fit for Alder without a tad more travel. As some tweener districts have learned, going Coffman-Davidson-Marysville poses a different challenge than Tecumseh-Shawnee-Urbana. The desire of smaller schools to “play up” is why the GWOC didn’t survive as a large conference. Same can be said for the constant shuffling of the OCC. With that said, many of Alder’s programs at their current level would compete just fine with most OCC schools. Let’s hope the current structure lasts for at least a few more years, and the new members continue to push existing members to get better.

I remember hearimg a few years ago some of the northern schools in the OCC weren't happy, but had no other plan.

I could see JA fitting in that mix if they ever broke off and went for it. Delaware, Marysville, Big Walnut, JA. Grab Marion (not great competitively but a fit in size and location.) And then we run into the problem. Who the hell else is there? Buckeye Valley willing to be the small fish and get their heads beaten in to get away from Columbus travel? Mount Vernon, even though it's an hour and a half on a good day from Plain City?

And that's the issue. Short of getting to OCC size and/or dealing with the travel, there's just nothing there. Even that SW league, if Plain City was located where London is they'd fit perfect. Of course then they wouldn't be growing like they are. That's a drive on a good day to Grove City or Teays Valley.

I remember hearimg a few years ago some of the northern schools in the OCC weren't happy, but had no other plan.

I could see JA fitting in that mix if they ever broke off and went for it. Delaware, Marysville, Big Walnut, JA. Grab Marion (not great competitively but a fit in size and location.) And then we run into the problem. Who the hell else is there? Buckeye Valley willing to be the small fish and get their heads beaten in to get away from Columbus travel? Mount Vernon, even though it's an hour and a half on a good day from Plain City?

And that's the issue. Short of getting to OCC size and/or dealing with the travel, there's just nothing there. Even that SW league, if Plain City was located where London is they'd fit perfect. Of course then they wouldn't be growing like they are. That's a drive on a good day to Grove City or Teays Valley.
Buckeye Valley has never qualified into OHSAA football playoffs, and possibly never will even in the MSL-Bizarre division. May as well make rivalries and better travel! They already play Delaware every year, so it wouldn’t be too much a stretch I think for them to be interested in the hypothetical.

I think London is in a good spot in the CBC, they were in the league back in the 1970's, size wise they are playing like schools and they have a natural rival in JA. For JA, it's just a matter of time before they move to a new league for a few reasons.
1st - It appears JA will only continue to grow - the sewage system will be a hinderance especially with Plain City being in the Big Darby Watershed. However, Dublin is only going to continue to push out that way. Columbus growth just keeps moving on.
2nd - As mentioned the schools of Canal Winchester, Hamilton Township, Teays Valley, Big Walnut, Licking Heights, they are all similar - bedroom communities of Columbus. The people in these towns work/socialize in Columbus. Regarding rush hour traffic, since COVID traffic is no where near as bad. Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Chase, Ohio Govt jobs downtown - many of these jobs will not go back to working at the office 5 days a week. It will be a blend of work from home & some going into the office. Life has changed. The CBC is primarily a farming/small town league, JA definitely has it's fair share of country boys but it's demographics has been changing over the last 20+ years.
3rd - JA is a Central District school & the media coverage from The Dispatch & tv coverage. It doesn’t matter but it kinda does matters. I know the Dispatch does a terrible job of covering Friday night football but it’s still nice for the kids to be recognized for post season awards. This is more likely if you are playing vs central district schools. Also, a 9-0 JA vs say a 9-0 Bellfontain or Shawnee isn’t getting on NBC 4 Football Friday night. If it’s 9-0 JA vs a 8-1 Canal Winchester it is one of the bigger games in central Ohio, it may even get the chopper to swing by for the game
4th - In 4 years JA is 24-3, in 2 years London is 10-3 with 2 of the losses coming from JA. JA is also very good it baseball & having a great season basketball this year. I don’t think JA will fall back to the CBC pack, someone In the CBC will have to get better to take the football league title from them. It could ruffle some feathers if the likes of JA with their new SUV’s, living in their newly built homes and newly built schools/Facilities continue to win league titles.

I think London is in a good spot in the CBC, they were in the league back in the 1970's, size wise they are playing like schools and they have a natural rival in JA. For JA, it's just a matter of time before they move to a new league for a few reasons.
1st - It appears JA will only continue to grow - the sewage system will be a hinderance especially with Plain City being in the Big Darby Watershed. However, Dublin is only going to continue to push out that way. Columbus growth just keeps moving on.
2nd - As mentioned the schools of Canal Winchester, Hamilton Township, Teays Valley, Big Walnut, Licking Heights, they are all similar - bedroom communities of Columbus. The people in these towns work/socialize in Columbus. Regarding rush hour traffic, since COVID traffic is no where near as bad. Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Chase, Ohio Govt jobs downtown - many of these jobs will not go back to working at the office 5 days a week. It will be a blend of work from home & some going into the office. Life has changed. The CBC is primarily a farming/small town league, JA definitely has it's fair share of country boys but it's demographics has been changing over the last 20+ years.
3rd - JA is a Central District school & the media coverage from The Dispatch & tv coverage. It doesn’t matter but it kinda does matters. I know the Dispatch does a terrible job of covering Friday night football but it’s still nice for the kids to be recognized for post season awards. This is more likely if you are playing vs central district schools. Also, a 9-0 JA vs say a 9-0 Bellfontain or Shawnee isn’t getting on NBC 4 Football Friday night. If it’s 9-0 JA vs a 8-1 Canal Winchester it is one of the bigger games in central Ohio, it may even get the chopper to swing by for the game
4th - In 4 years JA is 24-3, in 2 years London is 10-3 with 2 of the losses coming from JA. JA is also very good it baseball & having a great season basketball this year. I don’t think JA will fall back to the CBC pack, someone In the CBC will have to get better to take the football league title from them. It could ruffle some feathers if the likes of JA with their new SUV’s, living in their newly built homes and newly built schools/Facilities continue to win league titles.
Shawnee is shrinking
Kenton Ridge is shrinking
Bellefontaine certainly isn’t growing
Tecumseh’s enrollment is inflated, but i can assure you that people aren’t moving to New Carlisle unless it is to work in the nurseries
London.. growing a little

the CBC and OHC will realign soon. i think we see leagues of closer proximity with big/small divisions. les mandatory crossovers possible.

i would love to see the Clark County schools get back together while adding in the the Madison County schools, and possible the Greene County schools (nowhere else for them to go)

Clark/Greene/Madison Schools from biggest to smallest:
D2- Tecumseh
D3- Alder
D3- London
D4- Northwestern
D4- Kenton Ridge
D5- Shawnee
D5- Greenon
D5- Madison Plains
D6- Greeneview
D6- West Jefferson
D6- Northeastern
D7- Southeastern
D7- Cedarville
D7- Catholic Central

Last edited:

Great post. Excellent point about possible hybrid and remote work scenarios at major employers lightening the traffic some downtown, but over the next 10-20 years I can see it still sucking badly as Columbus continues to grow. Updating infrastructure capacity tends to lag behind growth.

Media coverage I certainly understand. In fact, I've been told that was the main driver for one of the other county schools briefly venturing into the MSL. Unfortunately for them, getting whooped constantly by teams inside the beltway doesn't draw the eye of the Dispatch and 10TV. Alder has a very strong athletic program, and winning tends to translate into coverage. In that regard, it makes sense for them. London the last few years is as good as they've been in a long time in football. Under certain conditions I could see them falling back into the pack in the CBC. The fit here in terms of size, distance and demographics makes a lot more sense for them than trudging back into the beltway.

This league has been there and done that already with Tippecanoe. I imagine a show of hands would indicate that as Tipp started to grow some and changed somewhat demographically into more of a bedroom community of Dayton, it's probably not their increased winning that bothered most people from other schools...but the perception of a smugness or arrogance coming from them as being better or superior to everyone else.

but by 2030 i think it’s very possible.

i see JA growing into a Canal Winchester type of school and community

I don’t think you understand just how big an issue this water and sewer thing is. And on top of it all there’s an environmental issue with the Darby. The time frame to get it all taken care and finish could be a long, long time.

Last edited:
NWO is blessed to have WOSN, Western Ohio Sports Network. It was born out of the local religious station from Lima, TV44, covering games over the years.
I guess we have became spoiled with such coverage and it does seem like there is a void in coverage for much of the CBC>

High school sports coverage in the Springfield News-Sun used to be eons better 15-20 years ago. In recent years, that paper is mostly the Dayton Daily News with the News-Sun name on it and local coverage has gone down the toilet for the CBC, OHC, etc. You can't get anything somewhat regularly anymore without being in the GWOC unless you're really good. The DDN and WHIO don't seem to like venturing beyond the 675 corridor.

Last edited:
Great post. Excellent point about possible hybrid and remote work scenarios at major employers lightening the traffic some downtown, but over the next 10-20 years I can see it still sucking badly as Columbus continues to grow. Updating infrastructure capacity tends to lag behind growth.
Hehe -- got that right. Recent construction on 270 on the west side, 71 southwest of Downtown Columbus has been painful. Starting to border on "Big Dig" levels of delays, frustration and what not. Can only imagine what MORPC has in the books down the road...

Media coverage I certainly understand. In fact, I've been told that was the main driver for one of the other county schools briefly venturing into the MSL. Unfortunately for them, getting whooped constantly by teams inside the beltway doesn't draw the eye of the Dispatch and 10TV. Alder has a very strong athletic program, and winning tends to translate into coverage.
One point I do want to make on Columbus media, the advantages and whatnot: I think we're in an age where high school sports coverage and media is incredibly digitized and mobilized. Good thing? Possibly. But consider this: the Dispatch basically does not cover high school sports anymore. Steve Blackledge, praise be to him, no longer works there. Recent changes to the Dispatch (including ownership changes, earlier deadlines and the fact the paper isn't printed in Columbus anymore) have basically rendered that paper moot for coverage beyond publishing the AP polls and local honors that come down the wire. ThisWeek Newspapers has a couple good sportswriters, but that whole publication is really disjointed in its coverage.

I say this not to undermine either of your two fine observations. My thinking, though, is that the coverage Alder (or any Madison County) school would want either has to come from grassroots local media with Twitter accounts (in the absence of a local paper) or enough participation with schools close enough to Columbus. Social media as a tool for high school sports coverage has blossomed in Columbus in the past five years (see: 270Hoops -- which now has its own Friday Night Feature on WCMH/NBC4 in Columbus.) I would imagine station management at WCMH or WBNS has begun to see the writing on the wall when it comes to their programming for sports, and how they can seize increased viewership by paying more mind and coverage to a section of sports (high school) where the tradition medium for coverage (print newspaper) has evaporated.

If I'm correct-- while the Clark/Champaign/Logan County corridor, as well as Madison County and Union County, are all in the Columbus TV markets they basically get paid no attention whatsoever by the TV stations when it comes to local sports. Shame!

NWO is blessed to have WOSN, Western Ohio Sports Network. It was born out of the local religious station from Lima, TV44, covering games over the years.
I guess we have became spoiled with such coverage and it does seem like there is a void in coverage for much of the CBC>

And now it's expanded with Channel 26 in Defiance so they now cover games from Bryan clear down to Marion Local.

Speaking of Central District and media coverage/awards. I heard the number 1 reason Buckeye Valley went MSL over MOAC was because of that. They were worried with a more Mansfield centric league, they'd have a harder time standing out for all district awards and tournament seeding.

Speaking of Central District and media coverage/awards. I heard the number 1 reason Buckeye Valley went MSL over MOAC was because of... tournament seeding.
Which is ironic AF because there’s only one team in their league (Bexley) who competes in the same district tournament and size classification as them (Central District, D2.) Granted, there are sports like basketball where the MSL prowess and attention is enough to help seeding even in the absence of conference buddies.

Springfield News Sun does a decent job during football season covering the CBC/OHC. weekly previews and recaps on games.

to touch on WHIO not wanting to go outside the 675 corridor- you’re correct. but, i will add that we have seen much more games as of recent become the “Game of the Week” as well as get attention. the brand of football in this region is solid- we always have plenty of late season games that matter in terms of conference standings and playoff seedlings.

Springfield News Sun does a decent job during football season covering the CBC/OHC. weekly previews and recaps on games.

to touch on WHIO not wanting to go outside the 675 corridor- you’re correct. but, i will add that we have seen much more games as of recent become the “Game of the Week” as well as get attention. the brand of football in this region is solid- we always have plenty of late season games that matter in terms of conference standings and playoff seedlings.
WHIO used to make their way all the way up to Mercer and Auglaize County. They would be a must see for the highlights back in the day in our area. WHen that WOSN/TV44 really got big, and started their show soon after 10pm no one would watch them anymore because if they showed up they would show just 1-2 plays.

I think local media should EMBRACE the local goings on and HS sports. People are not going to get that content much else so why not?

I dont know it it played in your market, but did you see him in a local commercial spot during the super bowl?

Always a big deal when he would show up! He would show up in Mercer County in his chopper!
I didn't see it! would have liked to. He showed up at Greenon once, possibly twice?

WOSN has expanded?
That is awesome! Truly spoiled! And the quality was good. IL was on vs I think NW this fall and man the announcer was absolutely atrocious and talked out his arse all game. When the kids watched the replay they were like 'wtf is this guy talking about?

Yep they took over WNHO and started doing games further north!

Cool thing is we never really got it around Defiance, but of course we get WNHO. Some of the replays they show on 26 are the more southern games so we get a chance to see some WBL/NWC/MAC games now. Really fun to see teams we all hear about but never get to see other than the few that play in those leagues.

It's entertaining to discuss league shake-ups, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground. The reality is that AD's and school Admins don't have a lot of stomach for those headaches. Changes generally happen when obvious problems or opportunities arise. Neither applies here. I will bet that the CBC and OHC remain as is for at least another 5 years and probably more like 10 years.

I'm not super familiar with this conference, what is the story behind Urbana? Weren't they conference Champs just 2 years ago or something?

I'm not super familiar with this conference, what is the story behind Urbana? Weren't they conference Champs just 2 years ago or something?
they were like, 5-5 at best maybe. they haven’t had much talent since the Mays duo left. that program is not in a good state.

It's entertaining to discuss league shake-ups, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground. The reality is that AD's and school Admins don't have a lot of stomach for those headaches. Changes generally happen when obvious problems or opportunities arise. Neither applies here. I will bet that the CBC and OHC remain as is for at least another 5 years and probably more like 10 years.
i understand what you’re saying but the CBC/OHC are due for another major shakeup within 5 years. we will probably see the Clark County schools get together and then see the logan/union/champaign schools get together in some format.

As GHS Knights alluded to, they were 5-5 the last time they won a shared title. If I’m not mistaken, that team ran off four straight running clocks to finish the season, including a blowout win over a playoff team. Looking at their results, they might have been a few plays from being a playoff team. I believe the 2018 team dealt with many injuries at key positions early in the season.
They essentially put a JV team, in terms of experience, on the field this past fall. Starting with the freshman class, there’s some talent coming to compete in the KTD. The key will be getting and keeping the best athletes involved. This past fall they were led in rushing in at least one game by a kid who also started on the soccer team. The turnover of head coaches in the past decade has hurt the program. Cotner returning to the helm is an important step to rebuilding. Also, having Rogan return helps.

Last edited:
Yeah, being a champ in the CBC, especially in the small school division, can be a bit of a misnomer when it comes down to an overall record.
Urbana Records
2020: 0-7
2019: 0-10
2018: 5-5 (win over Shawnee was impressive, didn't beat anyone else notable)
2017: 4-6
2016: 2-8
2015: 2-8
2014: 7-3 (last year of Mays QB/Coach, missed out on playoffs)
2013: 10-1 (playoff loss @cincinnati McNick)
2012: 9-2 (playoff loss vs. Sandusky Perkins)
2011: 8-2 (playoff loss @Columbus Eastmoor)

they have not recovered since the Mays left. now, the Mays were GOOD. he started as a Freshman at QB and immediately took them to the playoffs.

the 2018 team just wasn't anything but average. Northwestern was the best team in the division and they slipped into the playoffs before getting throttled. the CBC Mad River had mostly been down before North Union joined (2016 being the outlier, was a good year for league)

As GHS Knights alluded to, they were 5-5 the last time they won a shared title. If I’m not mistaken, that team ran off four straight running clocks to finish the season, including a blowout win over a playoff team. Looking at their results, they might have been a few plays from being a playoff team. I believe the 2018 team dealt with many injuries at key positions early in the season.
They essentially put a JV team, in terms of experience, on the field this past fall. Starting with the freshman class, there’s some talent coming to compete in the KTD. The key will be getting and keeping the best athletes involved. This past fall they were led in rushing in at least one game by a kid who also started on the soccer team. The turnover of head coaches in the past decade has hurt the program. Cotner returning to the helm is an important step to rebuilding. Also, having Rogan return helps.
Awesome info, thanks!

I agree, it will be awhile although it seems that Greenon fans want out of the OHC and back into the CBC now. I'm not sure the Knights are ready for that just yet. Build a winning culture, then go back to the CBC. JMHO.

I agree, it will be awhile although it seems that Greenon fans want out of the OHC and back into the CBC now. I'm not sure the Knights are ready for that just yet. Build a winning culture, then go back to the CBC. JMHO.
I would never pick the current CBC Mad River over the OHC South. I don't care what league we are in, I'm more concerned about what teams are in it. Ideally, there would be a league that was south of Champaign county that included a mix of some of the current CBC and OHC schools.

what im getting at is, Greeneview and Greenon should probably never be in a league with Fairbanks or Triad. Northwestern should probably never be in a division with North Union or Ben Logan. that's how it is.

I would never pick the current CBC Mad River over the OHC South. I don't care what league we are in, I'm more concerned about what teams are in it. Ideally, there would be a league that was south of Champaign county that included a mix of some of the current CBC and OHC schools.

what im getting at is, Greeneview and Greenon should probably never be in a league with Fairbanks or Triad. Northwestern should probably never be in a division with North Union or Ben Logan. that's how it is.
I bet that's what they said when the MAC was formed. You have to beat them and have a good OOC, period.

Man, it's amazing how we get spoiled and all too soon forget history.

25 years ago, the WCOC was a conference comprised of teams mostly together because of "travel times." Everyone decided they wanted to travel a little further so that they could grow athletically with better competition. Same for the KTC. So they formed a conference of similarly sized schools, all within an hour drive of one another. The CBC essentially is the big school version of the OHC and had a similar path to their current state.

Now we are complaining about the 40 minute drive from Enon to Milford Center? I would guess that the CBC and OHC have very average travel times compared to the other leagues in the state of Ohio. Imagine being Lima Senior in the TRAC.

Curious as to why, as a Clark County guy, that you are choosing to cut out the Champaign County teams in your proposals and keeping the Greene County teams?

There is absolutely nothing wrong, from a logistical standpoint, with how the CBC or OHC are aligned. Could you shift a team or two around? Sure. Could you cut a team or two out and add a better fit? Sure. But there has to be some hidden, deeper reasoning behind what you are saying. You've been pushing the realignment card for 2 years. Curious if this is a Greenon mentality, or just a personal mentality of yours? Because to join a new league in order to have a little more success, find a little bit of success in that league and then call to disband the league and take original members with you; all in a span of 3 years, is a little bold.

1024px-OHC_Map.jpg

Central_Buckeye_Conference_Members_Map.png

One conference is aligned by enrollment, one by location. I don't know what else you could possibly want.

Man, it's amazing how we get spoiled and all too soon forget history.

25 years ago, the WCOC was a conference comprised of teams mostly together because of "travel times." Everyone decided they wanted to travel a little further so that they could grow athletically with better competition. Same for the KTC. So they formed a conference of similarly sized schools, all within an hour drive of one another. The CBC essentially is the big school version of the OHC and had a similar path to their current state.

Now we are complaining about the 40 minute drive from Enon to Milford Center? I would guess that the CBC and OHC have very average travel times compared to the other leagues in the state of Ohio. Imagine being Lima Senior in the TRAC.

Curious as to why, as a Clark County guy, that you are choosing to cut out the Champaign County teams in your proposals and keeping the Greene County teams?

There is absolutely nothing wrong, from a logistical standpoint, with how the CBC or OHC are aligned. Could you shift a team or two around? Sure. Could you cut a team or two out and add a better fit? Sure. But there has to be some hidden, deeper reasoning behind what you are saying. You've been pushing the realignment card for 2 years. Curious if this is a Greenon mentality, or just a personal mentality of yours? Because to join a new league in order to have a little more success, find a little bit of success in that league and then call to disband the league and take original members with you; all in a span of 3 years, is a little bold.
i think the WCOC would be a very solid league today, just my opinion

i choose Greene county over Champaign county due to the Greene County schools having nowhere else to go. Champaign County schools also fit quite well with the Logan/Union County schools.

i can assure you there’s no hidden reason. i have my opinion, you have yours. demographics change. it’s been 20 years since we had a major alignment.

if you have further questions about how i feel and i why i feel the way i do, my Direct Message is open.

btw, Greenon to Fairbanks is 51 minutes with no traffic. on a bus, it’s over an hour. Greeneview to Fairbanks is over an hour. more on a bus.

there’s no Greenon mentality. i don’t speak for Greenon. i have my personal opinion. that’s that.