Canton McKinley football 2012

Hof, Yes, I have been there... and, I will be there again this Friday... For me, it's about a 90 minute drive... East on the turnpike to St Rt 7, and head North for about ten minutes... we park in the shopping mall, and walk across the street.

The home of Bernie Kosar... Their stadium is dark, windy, and the metal stands will make one pray... (Fawcett has to have the best stadium lighting around.)

Regarding the Spartans, I am sure they are a good team... In my previous post, I was just sharing what "Todd and Mike" were saying on the Two Minute Drill... With our history of letting people hang around till the second half, I would never take anybody lightly.

The nice thing about the Pups, is that when they finally get serious and begin to play, it is like "Night vs Day"... One minute we are sleep walking and the next minute the intensity level goes up sky high.

I look forward to a good game... Good luck to all... Go Pups!...sam ('68)

Bulldogs beat Boardman 53-14 ... IMO, there are more McK fans in the stands than Boardman... Pups win Federal League crown outright... clinch play-off spot.

Glover (3 TD's), Richardson (2 TD's on pass receptions), Smith (1 TD run) rule the day... even the Defense scores two TD's on a blocked punt and intercepted pass... one McK TD is lost on a fumble thru the end zone for a touchback... McK had to have over 400 all-purpose yards (rushing, passing, special teams).

Game was never in doubt...the conclusion was evident early... On this day, Boardman is not in the same class as Mck... Pups score five TD's in the first half... if we did not lose a TD on the above fumble, then we easily score six first half TD's to Boardman's zero... In the end, Boardman scores two TD's, but one is aided by multiple Mck penalties, and the last one is scored at the end of the game against McK's subs.

At the opening Kick-off, there is a slight drizzle...the heavy rain waits till after the game is over...just windy and cold...the field is in great shape... McK wins the coin toss and elects to defer ... the game is played on Boardman's half of the field... Sadly, Boardman can not catch a break from the officials in the early going...repeatedly, the Spartans are flagged to start off the game.... between the Pups and the Officials, Boardman has no chance.

One highlight we enjoyed was watching our Kicker make a TD saving tackle... He took on the Boardman ball carrier like a Beast... (Unknown to our kicker, there was a flag on the play against Boardman... but our kids celebrated this great solo tackle as if it was the game saver)... Speaking of great tackles, there must have been a half dozen or more SUPER hits by the Pups... our guys put on a tackling clinic... the Pups put together a complete game - Offense, Defense, and Special Teams all came to play.

Now, it is on to Massillon... another great match-up is in store... we have our tickets... can't wait for saturday...Go pups...Good luck to all, sam ('68)

Thanks again Sam....We win the Fed and make the play-offs on the same night!

It sounds like that GlenOak loss lit a fire under our players.I like the way we bounced back after the loss!

Now on to the BIG game....It should be a trilla' in Massillon.Lets get ready for the tigers and get a Home game in our first play-off game.

The Massillon fans think they will overwelm us with there offense,but there in for a big surprize against our defense.

Lets go pups.....BEAT Massillon!!!

McKinley loses to Mass 37-29

McK finishes the regular season at 7-2... Fed League Champs... on to the play-offs next Sat... per the JoeEitel website, our unofficial opponent will be the Vikings at N.Canton... I am tempted to say Ho-Hum - No damage done today... our "second" season now marches on.

The Mass game was close... McK dug ourselves into our normal early hole, and just could not pull out the win at the end... We won the battle, but lost the war...we lose the first half 24 to 7, but win the second half 22 to 13... With about two minutes to go in the game, we have the ball deep in Mass terr but throw an interception in the end zone.... we still get the ball back with under a minute, but time runs out with us looking to pass for the miracle finish.

We had more first downs 25 -19... more total yards 427 to 375... but, we lost the game on fumbles - we lost three of four...Mass also had a superior kicking game... they routinely kicked off into the end zone... and they had three field goals to our none.

If we win our first round play-off game, and Mass wins theirs, then we have a re-match in two weeks... I like our chances in a second game this year... For now, we wait for tomorrow to get the official first round match -ups... Good luck to all, sam ('68)... (P.S. - PA announcer gives the attendance as 17,582)

Thanks again Sam,I agree with everything you said.I still believe we have the better team,and hope we get a rematch in week 12.Which I think we will win!

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Bulldogs - McK beats Hoover 36-29 (first round play-off win)

Another exciting, come from behind win for the Pups... many plays to enjoy in this contest... Mck wins the coin flip and defers to the second half... First quarter action is marred by interceptions for both teams, and plenty of penalties ... play is "Chippy" on both sides... both QB's are warned by officials to stop their verbal taunts... (NC QB hit with an unsportsmen penalty... McK QB comes out of the game for one play)

Mck draws first blood, and both teams trade the first six TD's back and forth... in the Third Quarter, Hoover scores back to back TD's to take the lead 29 -21... McK scores the last two TD's for the final score of 36 -29.

The game is a study in contrasts...on the ground for McK (346 rush yards and 34 passing)... Glover has four TD's and 241 rush yards on 33 carries...Smith has 107 yards on 21 carries... In the air for Hoover (258 passing - and 34 rushing yards).

Per the Repository, McK has 117 penalty yards, and Hoover has 44... personal fouls are still a problem for Mck... IMO, the biggest problem was "Roughing the QB".

Noteworthy plays were McK going for 4th and one from their own 27 yard line in the Fourth Quarter (we made it)... also was the defensive adjustments in the Fourth Quarter when McK went to a three man rush, and dropped eight men back to shut down the Hoover air attack...plus eight QB Sacks by the McK defense... McK has also "lost" our regular kicker for the rest of the season.

Now, for a re-match with Massillon next Saturday...Go Pups!...sam ('68)

Thanks again Sam,it's much appreciated.

Way to go beating Hoover twice this year!

Now lets BEAT Massillon!!!

McKinley loses to Massillon 28-19 in their Regional Semi-Finals Game.

Pups close out their season at 8-3 with a second lose to Massillon in the past three weeks... Played at Kent State Dix Stadium in front of a packed house of 19,000 fans ... Massillon took control early, and the final score was not indicative of the match... IMO, the Pups were done in by a lack of a running and kicking game... No excuses, Massillon had the better team.

Going forward, I believe our future is bright... we have good players coming back next year, and a great young coach... With a full year together, there is no doubt that we are back in the play-offs next year.

I am proud of this team... they accomplished a lot ... Federal League Champs... five years in a row in the play-offs ... there was adversity here that no team should have had to face... Keep your heads up... We will do it again next year... Good luck to all...sam ('68)