Week 3 vs Olmsted Falls D-II
Week 4 at Poland Seminary D-IV
Week 5 at Chaney D-III
Week 6 vs Dover D-II
Week 7 BYE
Week 8 vs Holy Name D-III
Week 9 at Howland D-III
Week 10 at Boardman D-II

It looks like there is still considerable work to be done to fill out the schedule...

Last edited:

the schedule is ok, definitely need to add some games. Chaney game on the road again, but they lose a lot. West Branch, Olmsted Falls & Dover are the best teams on the schedule. Howland , Boardman and Poland aren’t very good I’m not sure how long it’s been since any of the 3 have beat Canfield at any level, but I’d guess it’s been a long time.

Last edited:
2023 Schedule
Week 1 vs West Branch D-IV
Week 2 BYE
Week 5 at Chaney D-III
Week 6 vs Dover D-II
Week 7 BYE
Week 8 BYE
Week 9 at Howland D-III
Week 10 at Boardman D-II

It looks like there is still considerable work to be done to fill out the schedule...
A game with The Big Red would be great for both schools.

2023 Schedule
Week 2 BYE
Week 5 at Chaney D-III
Week 6 vs Dover D-II
Week 7 BYE
Week 8 BYE
Week 9 at Howland D-III
Week 10 at Boardman D-II

That seems like an awful lot of openings…you would think schools like Fitch might want a crack at the state champs, but it’s doubtful.

2023 Schedule
Week 2 BYE
Week 5 at Chaney D-III
Week 6 vs Dover D-II
Week 7 BYE
Week 8 BYE
Week 9 at Howland D-III
Week 10 at Boardman D-II

I noticed only 3 home games. In theory, 2 of the remaining 3 opens will try to be filled at Canfield. @simkon, this makes finding an opponent even more difficult I would imagine. Who do think are the schools they could possibly schedule, and I would imagine taking a bye again this season is a possibility? If a bye is a possibility I would think Week 7 would be the preferred week, as I would guess taking a bye in week 8 followed by playing weaker opponents in weeks 9 and 10 wouldn’t be ideal.?.?.?

BTW - Congrats again on the State Championship.

Week 2 should not be that hard to fill, and I don't think Fitch is even being considered to fill that week. I am not sure who all is available weeks 7 and 8. However, with the situation that transpired with a certain Senate League team this year, they may not be able to get a game with one of them again to fill one of those weeks. Perhaps an Akron school would be available and interested such as East, Kenmore-Garfield, Ellett, etc. I am kind of curious about if someone like South Range or Hubbard is open week 2 or even someone like Salem.

Canfield traditionally has played all the YCS teams the past 20 years or so, but for whatever reason East is not on the schedule, but there is a thought they might combine with Chaney.

Surprised the NE8 schools filled their open dates since they are at 7 teams now. Thought we might see Hubbard or Struthers jumping at a chance with Canfield on their schedule. A South Range vs Canfield state champions game would have been a good one but SR added Louisville week 9

I’d like to see Canfield play Ursuline or Harding. Mooney is probably too small now.
Why add smaller schools. Go with Hoban, McKinley etc.

Last edited:
WGH wasn't interested in playing Canfield, I don't know the details but perhaps the other WGH folks can go into the details. Ursuline and Mooney won't happen in football for obvious reasons. It is a shame they don't have Louisville on their schedule.

WGH wasn't interested in playing Canfield, I don't know the details but perhaps the other WGH folks can go into the details. Ursuline and Mooney won't happen in football for obvious reasons. It is a shame they don't have Louisville on their schedule.
Wow. I didn’t know that. So did the Canfield AD or Head Coach tell you Canfield tried to schedule Harding?

Surprised the NE8 schools filled their open dates since they are at 7 teams now. Thought we might see Hubbard or Struthers jumping at a chance with Canfield on their schedule. A South Range vs Canfield state champions game would have been a good one but SR added Louisville week 9
Cats are open week 3. I don’t see us making that call though. Hubbard definitely isn’t making that call. The cats were also open week 8 but scheduled Youngstown east lol

I don’t think east is going to have a team this season sadly. I’ve heard nobody wants the job and they might take a year off from football
And reevaluate the program. Could all be rumors tho

Wow. I didn’t know that. So did the Canfield AD or Head Coach tell you Canfield tried to schedule Harding?
I know Harding is playing farrell I think this season. Could be something as small as home/away and what teams are open what weeks

I’ve heard the same on East situation. Boardman does not have them on the schedule this upcoming year either after playing them for several years.

I know Simkon will say Canfield can’t compete on a regular basis/long-run in a conference w/ Boardman, Fitch and Harding, but I think they can. Those schools aren’t that much bigger and Canfield continues to gain families of Boardman and Fitch alums’ who were good athletes back in the day and now their kids are some of the top athletes at Canfield.

Doing this would solve these scheduling issues. And I’d love to see Louisville added as well for all sports.

I heard from a South Range parent South Range AD has already reached out to Canfield about a 2 year home and home with Canfield. Haven't heard anything back yet. I think that rivalry will over take the one with my pathetic Bulldogs.

I’ve heard the same on East situation. Boardman does not have them on the schedule this upcoming year either after playing them for several years.

I know Simkon will say Canfield can’t compete on a regular basis/long-run in a conference w/ Boardman, Fitch and Harding, but I think they can. Those schools aren’t that much bigger and Canfield continues to gain families of Boardman and Fitch alums’ who were good athletes back in the day and now their kids are some of the top athletes at Canfield.

Doing this would solve these scheduling issues. And I’d love to see Louisville added as well for all sports.
If Shepas gets the head coaching job at Louisville this could happen.
My original thought was a split football conference but 1 conference for all other sports.
Louisville, Dover, Howland Canfield
Fitch, Harding, Boardman , Massillon

If Shepas gets the head coaching job at Louisville this could happen.
My original thought was a split football conference but 1 conference for all other sports.
Louisville, Dover, Howland Canfield
Fitch, Harding, Boardman , Massillon
Massillon isn't joining that. Second, if your talking football, Dover, Howland, and Canfield aren't signing up to play Massillon, Fitch, or WGH all in one year

Massillon isn't joining that. Second, if your talking football, Dover, Howland, and Canfield aren't signing up to play Massillon, Fitch, or WGH all in one year
No
Dover, Howland Canfield and Louisville will only play each other in football . The other 3 will only play Massilon in football. . All other sports they all 8 play each other.
If not Massillon, you could put Chaney in