Canceled XC meets

Our school currently has an all sports or no sports policy for competition.
Not to be blunt, but that seems dumb. It’s obvious that some sports have a much higher risk of COVID transmission than others. Why should all sports be punished just because some aren’t safe or feasible?

I had the idea of skipping conference meets, and using that week for sectional meets of 6-7 teams. feed

Yeah, I have already talked to two different football parents who indicated they would consider suing if the OHSAA allows non-contact sports to compete this fall and not contact sports.

As for taking the top x from each league to district, that is a possibility too. I personally hope they don't do that, as it would likely mean our six team division of the OCC would advance just Davidson (girls) to the district meet, with no chance for us, Orange, Liberty, UA or Bradley. At least two or three of the others would compete to get out of the Pickerington regional. But it would still be better than no post season at all.
I think leagues are very important and especially this year when "next week" could be in doubt. If we get to the league meet weekend use that as a way to cut some teams down for the Districts and reward those that beat other teams at the league meet. Less teams at District might be a good thing this year.

I'm not saying only league champs. I haven't looked to see what taking 2 from each league or 3 would do for the District races. Maybe take top half and make any not in conferences run that weekend against each other. At least cut teams at Districts in half.

I have had some conversations with people that love football and could care less about any of the other sports. I could see lawsuits. I do not see the same true in the other direction. If CC got cancelled and Football was allowed to still go on, I haven't talked to people that would take it to court. However, it only takes one person and I'm sure that person is out there.

Anyone explain how BIG 10 is cancelled and OHSAA HS Sports is full steam ahead? Does it seem like OHSAA would follow Big 10 and cancel?

The virus attacks Big 10 athletes different then it attacks a HS kid? Upper Arlington High is different than Ohio State in virus threat?

The virus attacks Big 10 athletes different then it attacks a HS kid? Upper Arlington High is different than Ohio State in virus threat?
Actually yes.
Ohio HS kids are from Ohio and will be playing kids from neighboring communities.
OSU kids are from all across the country and will be playing kids from all across the country.

First off.... there is absolutely no reason to cancel golf. It’s easier than cornhole to maintain social distance, only use their ball and clubs, can sanitize after every attempt. And no carts are needed and can require masks. Someone might argue that they have to travel to a meet in a group.... parents or kids can drive themselves. They have already been playing and it’s all outside. IMO it’s is at the safest end of the spectrum and we should look at golf when implementing regulations for all others sports to do. Including spectators (wear mask, social distance, washing/santitizing). Football is at the other end of the spectrum. Then soccer... So, if golf is cancelled at any school, or league, then we know that those making such decisions are being lazy, Biased, or selfish, .... or have no clue.... I am not a golfer

Covid 19 does not attack college kids any different than high school kids, but the risks are much lower of contracting it due to what BeaverNation said Plus living at home as opposed to on campus (not possible for most college kids to commute). Traveling together... planes, busses for a long time for college in HS It’s usually less than an hour and/or parents can drive. It really is dependent on the environment for college versus high school.... if people will follow the protocols, Most high school sports should be much “safer” than college or pro sports.

Golf and Tennis should go on. I cannot see any reason unless there are big outbreaks all of a sudden associated with them. But, everyone has to be willing to sit back and watch as some things are allowed and others are not. I have gone through track meets in my mind and I can see that it would be easy to allow track and field. I can also see where I might not be able to run certain kids that flop around at the finish line sometimes. It's easy to imagine where they could shut down track and field again and for good reasons. I just don't happen to agree with the good reasons. Cross Country seems like a no brainer to me, but I can also see where there could be problems and it could get shut down. If it does, we cannot complain that "Golf is allowed!" be happy for the kids and sports that get to keep going and figure out ways to make our sports as compliant as possible. Small meets. etc.

I honestly see football and maybe soccer dragging everyone down to the ocean floor with them on this one and we all drown.

Added the following to the cancellation list on post #4:
KSU Trumbull Flashback 8/25
Upper Sandusky Icebreaker 8/25
Fairborn Skyhawk Invitational 9/2
East Palestine Rotary Invitational 9/12
Cedarville Friendship Invitational 9/19
Wayne-Holmes County Meet 10/10

The Oscar Grant Maplewood Invitational on 9/10 carries the disclaimer on baumspage that entries may be limited.

Also, with the Wayne-Holmes meet being cancelled, I'll assume that there's no possibility that Wooster's Invitational on 9/12 might be reinstated.

Last edited:
A pair of NEO meets on 9/26 are added to the list:
Parma Hts. Valley Forge Patriot Invitational per baumspage and the Malone Invitational per FinishTiming himself.

As of now, Marlington's Ashley White-Stumpf Invitational is slated to occur as planned on 9/5 with the following modifications: Separate varsity and JV races. Varsity race will be a max of 20 teams and 7 runners per team. JV race will accommodate as many runners as possible up to a total of 140 runners in the race. Runners must be able to finish within 30 minutes. HS teams are asked to leave by 11:30am in order to prepare for the middle school teams to arrive for their 1st race at 12:30pm.

Weekend 3 is looking extremely thin in NEO. Weekends 1 and 5 have a few key meets that still appear scheduled to take place with Billy Goat, Berkshire, and Salem for week 1 and Strongsville, Sandy Valley, Black River, and Riverside inaugural night meet for weekend 5. Weekend 4 is entirely contingent upon Boardman at this point. McDonough and Galion are the other 2 meets where many NEO teams go for weekend #4. A handful sneak down I-77 to Meadowbrook.

Last edited:
Looks like Boardman is going to try and give it a go. Only NE Regional teams, no middle school, 10 per team, and D3 on another day. But it says 45 teams per division. How do they intend to make that work??

The may break down the divisions....if 45 teams enter, then 3 groups (sections) of 15 teams....maybe. if 30 teams, then 2 sections of 15 in each?

Looks like Boardman is going to try and give it a go. Only NE Regional teams, no middle school, 10 per team, and D3 on another day. But it says 45 teams per division. How do they intend to make that work??
The email sent out hinted at holding the DIII races on 9/17, and it also sounds like there are no MS races. That creates more time to run the DII and DI teams in smaller sections on 9/19. It's a bad year to be a JV runner.

According to FinishTiming, the Taylor Invitational on 9/16 is cancelled.

Also, my school has just been informed that the Dover Invitational on 9/12 is cancelled. That was about the only meet left in or near NEO that hadn't yet been cancelled for that date. I had some hope that it would make the cut, but no such luck.

EDIT: Dover Invitational is still happening as of now but is significantly downsized to include only local teams.

Last edited:
Just Run Baby!
Is the NEDAB not moving forward with its plan to use 2 district sites? Madison was not rumored to be 1 of the 2 sites used.
The zoom meeting last week with OATCCC and Dale G, he stated Madison was the 3rd host site.

Just Run Baby!

The zoom meeting last week with OATCCC and Dale G, he stated Madison was the 3rd host site.
I see. That solves quite a few problems that would've popped up from using only 2 sites as was planned earlier this summer.

Fayette Eagle Invitational on 9/19 is cancelled due to the meet being held on state park property.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the Boardman D3 Meet. Also that gives me an opportunity to come up north for some real corn beef from Slymans

Sandusky St. Mary Panther Run to Fun is now listed as cancelled according to baumspage. There's no additional information available to state if it is completely cancelled or limited to local teams. The draw of the meet was that it was only a 2-mile race, and competing teams and spectators had the opportunity to buy discounted tickets to Cedar Point.