Canal Winchester HC

Parents in Canal Winchester love to complain. They complained about Coach Stratton, and now they’re complaining about the new coach, before he’s even coached a game. Maybe that’s part of the reason no big name coaches wanted to go there. Combine that with a lackluster administration, and you get a mediocre occ athletics program
Lackluster administration is putting it lightly! They DO NOT CARE ABOUT ATHLETICS! The Super was presented with the idea of reducing pay to play for free and reduced lunch students and he said no. Most OCC schools do this. There is around $30 million in the bank after bills are paid! I think this would have cost the district like $20k in PTP revenue. He has zero interest in supporting athletics. The facilities are TERRIBLE! Once again those that suffer are the kids.

Lackluster administration is putting it lightly! They DO NOT CARE ABOUT ATHLETICS! The Super was presented with the idea of reducing pay to play for free and reduced lunch students and he said no. Most OCC schools do this. There is around $30 million in the bank after bills are paid! I think this would have cost the district like $20k in PTP revenue. He has zero interest in supporting athletics. The facilities are TERRIBLE! Once again those that suffer are the kids.
Kinda surprised to see that about the facilities, although I haven't seen their other fields or inside gym in many years. In the last few years they were in the MSL, seemed to me CW had one of the nicer football stadiums. Just curious - what about booster revenue to help with Pay To Participate? Do they generate any significant funds?

That is the problem. Their football stadium is the same now as it was when they were playing Amanda, HT, Bloom, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm.
They are no longer in the MSL... they have to compete against Scioto, Kilbourne, Westerville South, etc.
And much of the community still thinks of themselves as an MSL school.

That is the problem. Their football stadium is the same now as it was when they were playing Amanda, HT, Bloom, Fairfield Union, Logan Elm.
They are no longer in the MSL... they have to compete against Scioto, Kilbourne, Westerville South, etc.
And much of the community still thinks of themselves as an MSL school.
I wonder if there has been any concerted effort to improve the facilities. I would think parents would demand more from the school. Another reason why this wasn’t an attractive job for many coaches

Last edited:
No one cares enough to actually do anything about it. The Sup and Mayor are the two biggest deterrents from CW “taking the next steps”

However, the fact that the community allows those two to be incompetent would suggest that the community members are the problem.

They are no longer in the MSL... they have to compete against .... Kilbourne,.... etc.
On the plus side, CW doesn't have a train coming by during opening kickoff 20 feet from the bleachers on the far side to scare the bejeebies out of the visiting fans. ?

AD, Principal, Admin, etc. are not sports people and do not care really care about sports. No alignment in the district. And apparently the new football coach really doesn't care too much either since he doesn't show up.

AD, Principal, Admin, etc. are not sports people and do not care really care about sports. No alignment in the district. And apparently the new football coach really doesn't care too much either since he doesn't show up.
Their school board president, however, knows a lot about football, cares about CW athletics and the schools. That alone would suggest there are folks in the district that are "sports people", but they just aren't in any position that really effects change to promote advances in sports.

One would think that the board president would make a phone call and question what is going on.

let’s also remember not all is known what is actually going on behind the scenes with the new coach and his new team.

I can see both sides to this ... one, the HC should be there and doing everything in his power to really jump start this new job. With that said, if he is committed to coaching another sport then that is what it is. I am FULLY speculating here and not saying this is true ... BUT ... due to the show that was the hiring process of CW HC job, there isnt a sense of urgency from the school so the pressure to not coach track and get things going wasnt/isnt there.

Specifically, where is the CW athletic director in this mix? Is that person a "sports person"? I would think that individual has the primary responsibility for seeking out coaching candidates and hiring them, with the Supt and BOE approval. After all, they're being paid the big bucks to do just that. Are there any issues with the coaches of other sports the AD has hired?

I thought maybe this job would attract a bigger name coach, but apparently this is why. The good ones research and sniff this stuff out.

Very concerning that the head coach hasn’t really been involved yet. I’ve heard they don’t even know what offense and defense they’re running. I guess this is what the AD and superintendent want

Very concerning that the head coach hasn’t really been involved yet. I’ve heard they don’t even know what offense and defense they’re running. I guess this is what the AD and superintendent want

Not good. Low numbers in the weight room, HC still isn't in there much. Same as what was said before.

WOW.... That is a shame, CW should have a chance to be pretty good. Coach Straton did a good job there. One would figure with most of their staff in place that the train could keep rolling. They had a couple of quality coaches interviewed the first round and I know they offered at least one of them. To bad CW Admin couldn't make the offer better. They have to realize if you want a quality HC you can not offer his day job to be teaching in the middle school. Not saying Coach Kuhner isn't, but so far it looks rough for them. Plus, the district needs to up their pay to compete with the rest of the OCC schools... JMO

Is there a meet the team for parents ? Weight room under construction , kids have to find a place to lift temporarily .