Canal Winchester HC

I have no problem with kids and family's moving to better school districts that may or may not have better athletic programs for little Susie and Johnny .It is what it is . Some of the reasons some kids transfer can be questionable and in some cases probably wasn't necessary to achieve at a high rate and reach some goal , but again you live you learn . We live in impatient times. No question about that. Grass is always greener . Sometimes it is , sometimes it isn't all things considered . Wins and losses in High school isn't any kind of defining moment for kids going forward.

This whole process has been a disaster from the very start. multiple people turning the job down

I heard over they interviewed a coach who used to teach and coach in pickerington. They liked this person. Then called pickerington. Pickerington didn’t give him a glowing recommendation so they crossed him off their list.

looks like the next coach will be keuhner, who would not have been welcomed back at Watkins whether he got the job or not.

good luck canal

Last edited:
I heard over they interviewed a coach who used to teach and coach in pickerington. They liked this person. Then called pickerington. Pickerington didn’t give him a glowing recommendation so they crossed him off their list.

looks like the next coach will be keuhner, who would not have been welcomed back at Watkins whether he got the job or not.

good luck canal

Do we have a name of this so called Pickerington person?

Also why do you say Keuhner would not have been welcomed back to Watkins?

Down to 2 candidates; Kuhner & an assistant coach from New Albany. Expecting an announcement today

The New Albany assistant may be the guy who used to be the Lakewood HC? Name is escaping me. He's a Delphos guy. That's just me guessing since he was a head coach before.

Will be interesting how the community, players, & parents react to this... hopefully they buy in to what he is selling. His resume may turn some people away. 3-12 in the LCL at Watkins. You don't get to play Lakewood & Utica at Canal.

Steps into a good situation thought it seems. Has one of the top players in central Ohio.... can't wait to see him play week 3!!

Will be interesting how the community, players, & parents react to this... hopefully they buy in to what he is selling. His resume may turn some people away. 3-12 in the LCL at Watkins. You don't get to play Lakewood & Utica at Canal.

Steps into a good situation thought it seems. Has one of the top players in central Ohio.... can't wait to see him play week 3!!
I think you're overestimating the number of parents that have any knowledge of high school football beyond their community and adjacencies. I agree that the resume is mediocre, and that the most impressive achievement (Whitehall winning the MSL in 2014 ) is bloated.

But, we should probably take a step back. What we know as fans, who post on here, is that this was probably the second-least attractive big school opening in Central Ohio by a mile. Coffman, Jerome, Lancaster... (big gap) Canal... (even bigger gap) Franklin Heights. If the district is hamstrung on what teaching offerings they have, or are unwilling to create/accommodate, and if the powers-that-be have a weird Pickerington preference, then that of course cuts down on who you could land.

There's probably enough football-serious families in Canal that will ride with the program no matter who they hire. Open enrollment-out prospects are dim if you live in CW's district. Only worthwhile private school choice for football is Hartley.

I spoke to a Canal parent earlier today. This was his feedback and I have no opinion on the matter. He said there are 2-3 major issues in Canal. He mentioned that the parents have had too much influence on the team and the athletic department does not back the coach. They don’t pay their coaches very much relative to other schools. A lot of their athletes are entitled and can’t take hard coaching. Some parents think their kids are too good for Canal so they transfer.
I think Jake can do a good job there. They have some good players. I think their Junior High coaches do a good job getting them ready for high school.

Canal has won 28 games in 4 yrs... and have a league schedule that is favorable. And have one of the top players in central Ohio returning at RB. Definitely a good situation to step into. No doubt Kuener can keep it rolling. Just think first impression and getting buy in from coaches, staff, players is going to be essential. People do not like change... how much will he change? And people really don't like change when they have had success...

Has he been introduced to players? I am sure they are excited to get a coach and get rolling. Should be an off-season with excitement.

Every Program has move outs , not just yours .To say that the last 15 years , it's a total MYTH that Central hasn't benefited much at all or benefited much less than most in CO from transfers is silly. No one is saying that the large majority isn't homegrown as it is with pretty much all local public schools , BUT you seem to be insisting that Pick C is more homegrown than most and I know that's not exactly true .
I agree.

Whats the word at Canal? Is there a new excitement at the school or in the weight room. Has he brought a new toughness to the program.
He has been on the job for 2-3 weeks now... I have heard most staff is staying.

Whats the word at Canal? Is there a new excitement at the school or in the weight room. Has he brought a new toughness to the program.
He has been on the job for 2-3 weeks now... I have heard most staff is staying.
Everything I hear is very underwhelming. Kids and parents are very lukewarm on the hire and the transition so far.

Just spoke with a parent of a player... said new coach is coaching track at Watkins. Does not come to anything at CW. Hasn't been formally introduced to team.

Just spoke with a parent of a player... said new coach is coaching track at Watkins. Does not come to anything at CW. Hasn't been formally introduced to team.
Parents in Canal Winchester love to complain. They complained about Coach Stratton, and now they’re complaining about the new coach, before he’s even coached a game. Maybe that’s part of the reason no big name coaches wanted to go there. Combine that with a lackluster administration, and you get a mediocre occ athletics program

What gives you this impression? Have you watched his teams in the past or just trying to be positive?
Both, I know him and worked with him. IMO and I really do mean mine, the bigger the program the better he will do. He excels in X and Os but was only average with boosters and parents. Unfortunately that is everywhere in every sport nowadays.
If he’s allowed to coach em up he will do just fine. Hope that helps.

Both, I know him and worked with him. IMO and I really do mean mine, the bigger the program the better he will do. He excels in X and Os but was only average with boosters and parents. Unfortunately that is everywhere in every sport nowadays.
If he’s allowed to coach em up he will do just fine. Hope that helps.

Agree to disagree on the X’s and O’s. I think there is a lot to be desired from what I have seen over the years (terrible at Watkins). I respect your opinion and hope you are right.

Agree to disagree on the X’s and O’s. I think there is a lot to be desired from what I have seen over the years (terrible at Watkins). I respect your opinion and hope you are right.

I could see that and offensively I think it was stale. He was slow to correct the call player as he was a good guy but that will get you in trouble as well. Its safe to say that we will both be watching.

ER8868 I appreciate your sportsmanship in our talk lol.