Canal Winchester HC

Hartley1

Any updates on this? What I have... First round was 10 interviews. 9 with HC experience. 1 internal.

Second round was 3. 1 internal, 2 former HC's. Should have a decision by early January. Anyone have names?

That’s very interesting that it would have to be opened back up. Do they not have any attractive positions available within the school system?

That’s very interesting that it would have to be opened back up. Do they not have any attractive positions available within the school system?

To attract a good coach you have to offer them a better job than they already have. It's not all about the athletes in the school. If your job sucks from 7:30-2:30 it can make a job less attractive. Schools unwilling to create an attractive situation for their HFC job are sending out the bat signal that "we want to be a stepping stone job"

It's really hard to "create" situations right now that are super attractive. Administrators have enough on their plates dealing with the hybrid and virtual learning situations. Not sure now is the time to be too creative with any jobs.

Job Positing 2 of interviews are supposed to start next week. Rumor is they have been calling asking coaches to apply. Doesn't seem good. Especially with two Dublin jobs opening. Canal has had quite a bit of turnover... do they not have someone internally that wants to be there and will stay for the long term?

Job Positing 2 of interviews are supposed to start next week. Rumor is they have been calling asking coaches to apply. Doesn't seem good. Especially with two Dublin jobs opening. Canal has had quite a bit of turnover... do they not have someone internally that wants to be there and will stay for the long term?

that would seem to indicate they aren’t offering much of a teaching position. I don’t think the Dublin jobs would have any kind of impact on this one.

Canal Winchester High School is seeking a Head Football Coach. While previous Head Coaching experience is preferred, it is not required. All Candidates must have a valid teaching license. Potential teaching positions may be available for the 2021-22 school year at Canal Winchester. All interested candidates should submit a Cover Letter, Resume and List of References by Friday, Jan 22nd, 2021 to Pat Durbin, Director of Athletics at pdurbin@cwls.us.

It’s interesting that CW is having so much trouble finding a coach while Lancaster who is even further from Columbus had over 40 applicants. I wonder if any of the applicants were the same for both schools.

It’s interesting that CW is having so much trouble finding a coach while Lancaster who is even further from Columbus had over 40 applicants. I wonder if any of the applicants were the same for both schools.
An educated guess would be yes. A guy looking for a Head Job is going to apply at most positions.

A lot of guys apply for the same jobs all over the State believe it or not. A good portion are just throwing something up against the wall to see if it sticks. If a school gets 40 applicants, it’s very typical that 4-6 are legitimate candidates.

Canal is definitely not committed to the OCC. Teacher pay is lowest in the OCC... and they get the least amount of coaching contracts in the OCC. Teays Valley & Hamilton Twp pay more and give more contracts... have better facilities and are in the MSL.

Canal should be doing whatever it takes to get Burchfield from Hartley. He lives in the district. Was the DC there... applied for the job in the past. It is a no brainer.

Canal is definitely not committed to the OCC. Teacher pay is lowest in the OCC... and they get the least amount of coaching contracts in the OCC. Teays Valley & Hamilton Twp pay more and give more contracts... have better facilities and are in the MSL.

Canal should be doing whatever it takes to get Burchfield from Hartley. He lives in the district. Was the DC there... applied for the job in the past. It is a no brainer.
Burch would get retirement and Canals pay might be higher than a Parochial School. However, let’s face it, he has a machine at Hartley. He has always seemed happy. I would be surprised but would understand it if he took the job assuming he is in the running.

Does anyone know much about the Canal athletic director? I heard he has a military background, but no experience in athletics or education

Last edited:
Does anyone know much about the Canal athletic director? I heard he has a military background, but no experience in athletics or education
Not sure, but an educated guess is that he's from Pickerington. Anyone who has a kid in the district (I do), knows canal is hiring former Pickerington employees. My guess is the new HC has Pickerington ties.

Not sure, but an educated guess is that he's from Pickerington. Anyone who has a kid in the district (I do), knows canal is hiring former Pickerington employees. My guess is the new HC has Pickerington ties.
Sounds like everything is going well, in Canal Winchester. Looks like those high property taxes aren’t worth it