Can a US company win the vaccine "space race"?

CJK84

It seems as if things will return to normal - and we can have school and school sports without limitations - only when a highly effective vaccine is developed and approved for general use.

The company/nation that produces the first vaccine will come out as a big winner and have major bragging rights, yet this 'race' has seemingly generated little interest in the US - and that surprises me somewhat because we're typically competitive people. Apparently, the launch of Sputnik back in the '50s terrified Americans because it seemed to indicate that we were not in first place and were hopelessly behind the Soviets - I believe it was really important to the masses that we were recognized as leaders and superior to other nations.

I guess it's not a big deal to me, but I'm hoping a U.S. company can claim the prize for the vaccine. For what it's worth, I'm proud that we're the only nation that has ever sent men to the moon, for instance.

Thoughts? Does anyone else even think about this - or care?

270SC

Don’t care, this is not for the FOOTBALL forum. I assume this will be the only like I’ll get from WGHFan or CKnights

chs1971

It seems as if things will return to normal - and we can have school and school sports without limitations - only when a highly effective vaccine is developed and approved for general use.

The company/nation that produces the first vaccine will come out as a big winner and have major bragging rights, yet this 'race' has seemingly generated little interest in the US - and that surprises me somewhat because we're typically competitive people. Apparently, the launch of Sputnik back in the '50s terrified Americans because it seemed to indicate that we were not in first place and were hopelessly behind the Soviets - I believe it was really important to the masses that we were recognized as leaders and superior to other nations.

I guess it's not a big deal to me, but I'm hoping a U.S. company can claim the prize for the vaccine. For what it's worth, I'm proud that we're the only nation that has ever sent men to the moon, for instance.

Thoughts? Does anyone else even think about this - or care?
Hyped by the media and politicians. Most people looked up and yawned.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Today the news media is only interested in stories that will hurt Trump or prove how Woke! they are.

BIG ED

I have two close relatives who have degrees in the medical field. They both told me while a vaccine will be good, it won’t be any more reliable than our current flu vaccines, which are on average 50-65% effective.
Then you have those who don’t even get the yearly flu vaccine. Will they get this one when it comes out? They’ll always be the potential for Covid so folks better get used to it. Hopefully the vaccine cuts the infection rate way down, and we can back to some normalcy, but will it ever go away? Probably not. Look I’m an optimist, but you have to look at the facts. I want football and all sports back on all levels, but this thing has the potential to be around for awhile even after the vaccine.

JUSTGOPLAY

I have two close relatives who have degrees in the medical field. They both told me while a vaccine will be good, it won’t be any more reliable than our current flu vaccines, which are on average 50-65% effective.
Then you have those who don’t even get the yearly flu vaccine. Will they get this one when it comes out? They’ll always be the potential for Covid so folks better get used to it. Hopefully the vaccine cuts the infection rate way down, and we can back to some normalcy, but will it ever go away? Probably not. Look I’m an optimist, but you have to look at the facts. I want football and all sports back on all levels, but this thing has the potential to be around for awhile even after the vaccine.
Excellent post.....as to will Coroni-Coroni ever go away? It will probably not, and neither will car wrecks, prostate cancer, diabetes, catastrophic acts of nature, and a myriad of other calamities that can and do impact any of us at any time. Whoever told our moonbat friends that everyday they must feel 100% healthy and free from any worries of anything negative impacting their lives" LIED TO THEM".

USMC6789

It’s unlikely we will be the first country with a vax. Both the British and Chinese vaccines are already in phase 3 trials. Our first vaccine candidate has yet to begin the third stage trials. If I had to put money on it I’d put my dollars on the British.

We also need effective treatment’s because even with a vax Rona isn’t going away completely. Luckily it seems as if progress is being made on treatments as well.

Levi

Hopefully it can be as effective as the flu vaccine is 40% effective with about 50k deaths a year despite probably 100,000,000 ppl taking the flu shot.