Campbell Memorial Red Devils looking for a new Head Coach...WOW!

Spread All Day

Also, in reality, if Campbell does not go to Open enrollment, you can expect the same results year in and year out. I thought that once the new career center was built that the discussion of going to open enrollment would happen. Time will tell.
I don’t understand the resistance to open enrollment at this point. Sure 10 years ago it was different.

JAws31 said - We are a perfect example of giving someone a chance. Our longtime assistant, first time head coach took us to a state title shot. Football at every level seems to like to recycle coaches. Just doesn't make sense.

I posted something like this on another thread... I just feel like if there are guys that are local that have been coaching for a decade or longer, they aren't necessarily a "young coach" who gets his first chance. A lot of times if you are a longtime assistant you see the rights and wrongs of the head coaches you work for and can try to make it better. But if you only have a few years of coaching and get a head job, that is usually where one struggles.
Prime example....."Mickey Sikora".

Buckeye Elite

JAws31 said - We are a perfect example of giving someone a chance. Our longtime assistant, first time head coach took us to a state title shot. Football at every level seems to like to recycle coaches. Just doesn't make sense.

I posted something like this on another thread... I just feel like if there are guys that are local that have been coaching for a decade or longer, they aren't necessarily a "young coach" who gets his first chance. A lot of times if you are a longtime assistant you see the rights and wrongs of the head coaches you work for and can try to make it better. But if you only have a few years of coaching and get a head job, that is usually where one struggles.
It also matters what talent you have. Talent in jfk compared to Campbell is not even close. Most coaches would have done well with that team at jfk. Turning around Campbell would really show how good a coach is

ThaXFactor

I'm just curious if anyone knows how many kids Campbell loses to other schools every year. Or if they have lost any that are really good "impact players" at other schools over the past few years.

ThaXFactor

If they lose a kid it’s usually to mooney or Ursuline.
Have they lost any kids that were standouts at Mooney or Ursuline? Just curious if their recent records were due to losing their best players, a declining enrollment, or just an overall lack of the kind of talent that they used to have.

BTrev

Have they lost any kids that were standouts at Mooney or Ursuline? Just curious if their recent records were due to losing their best players, a declining enrollment, or just an overall lack of the kind of talent that they used to have.
I’m sure there are more examples, but the only one that comes to mind... I believe Mooney’s starting QB in 2011, P.J. Quinn, was from Campbell. That was the last time Mooney won the state championship. I recall Quinn putting up solid numbers for Mooney that year as a dual threat.
Coincidentally enough, Campbell actually still had a pretty good stretch of quarterback play from 2009-2012 with Hughes and Reyes.

To answer your other question, I think it’s probably a little bit of all 3 of those. Also a lot of the star players from their lower levels just haven’t panned out for one reason or another.

Buckeye Elite

I’m sure there are more examples, but the only one that comes to mind... I believe Mooney’s starting QB in 2011, P.J. Quinn, was from Campbell. That was the last time Mooney won the state championship. I recall Quinn putting up solid numbers for Mooney that year as a dual threat.
Coincidentally enough, Campbell actually still had a pretty good stretch of quarterback play from 2009-2012 with Hughes and Reyes.

To answer your other question, I think it’s probably a little bit of all 3 of those. Also a lot of the star players from their lower levels just haven’t panned out for one reason or another.
Also some of their middle school kids end up going elsewhere from feeder schools I believe

nupanther

Another thing to consider is their youth program. A few years ago these current Campbell kids had pretty good records as Little Red Devils. But they were in a league with Columbiana, Lowellville, Sebring, etc. Also it appeared they were relying on athletes in key spots as opposed to actual coaching fundamentals. Kinda the opposite of the successful teams in that little league (Springfield, Crestview)
IMO Morrow isnt the answer. Campbell needs young blood. Morrow is pushing 60. And dont forget DJK from Campbell to Mooney several years ago.
Campbell lost a couple to VCS this year. Doesnt matter if they're losing top notch guys or not. They need numbers. No depth. When you cant run an effective 11 versus 11 practice you cant expect to compete with the top of the league, especially with the GMen coming.

The top notch receiver(can't recall his name) at Boardman came from Campbell. He will be a Senior this year, and is being recruited from D-1 colleges for the next level. Is there anybody within the school system interested to take over? I heard there might be? But no names were provided.

Buckeye Elite

Another thing to consider is their youth program. A few years ago these current Campbell kids had pretty good records as Little Red Devils. But they were in a league with Columbiana, Lowellville, Sebring, etc. Also it appeared they were relying on athletes in key spots as opposed to actual coaching fundamentals. Kinda the opposite of the successful teams in that little league (Springfield, Crestview)
IMO Morrow isnt the answer. Campbell needs young blood. Morrow is pushing 60. And dont forget DJK from Campbell to Mooney several years ago.
Campbell lost a couple to VCS this year. Doesnt matter if they're losing top notch guys or not. They need numbers. No depth. When you cant run an effective 11 versus 11 practice you cant expect to compete with the top of the league, especially with the GMen coming.
The little league comment is false, Campbell plays in the upper division of that league, occasionally they’ll play a Columbiana. But they play Struthers/Poland/Austintown/Youngstown/lakeview

Also Springfield refuses to play the bigger school tier, they play the schools like Lowellville.
You can go on the mvyfa website and look at all the schedules

Buckeye Elite

The top notch receiver(can't recall his name) at Boardman came from Campbell. He will be a Senior this year, and is being recruited from D-1 colleges for the next level. Is there anybody within the school system interested to take over? I heard there might be? But no names were provided.
Is he the one who was playing Qb last season while the regular QB was injured?

olschoolreddev

It appears that the youth programs have had some numbers but have always relied upon skill to get them by. They shut down due to COVID in 2020. The 7th & 8th grade teams have had success over the years as well but that hasn't translated over to Varsity football over the years. We also lost a stud WR in Moore who transferred to Chaney and had some success at DB there last year. Hell his brother who was a stud Basketball player now plays for Bucthel. So, the losses due to eligibility and transfers has hurt the Red Devils over the years. But, we have to give them a reason to stay. We have great facilities just not any luck producing and converting any of that into success. Campbell has a long and proud history but we probably have the worst overall sports program in the area top to bottom which is sad to see.

Whomever takes over will have good support from the gridiron and other clubs along with playing in arguably the best small school stadium in the area. The N. A. D'amato fieldhouse isn't too shabby either. I wish the Red Devils luck!

Asking for a friend.... lol

No I got ya, it seemed like you know someone who might apply for the job! I said earlier there are people on staffs like Moggy and Garrettsville that would be good hires, Crestview too!

There's good hires all over the place. The question is if they are willing to go to Campbell. It takes a special type of coach to be able to coach the different divert kids that Campbell has. Are they willing to take kids home that needs rides? Make sure kids are not getting themselves into the "Street games". Campbell I believe, is a great opportunity for the individual who understands, what the community has to offer. From great people that live in the community, and the football complex that it offers, but also, the understanding of all the types of kids. Trying to be respectful.

oldpolecat

Good memory! Wish mine was that good. lol

It also matters what talent you have. Talent in jfk compared to Campbell is not even close. Most coaches would have done well with that team at jfk. Turning around Campbell would really show how good a coach is
Is it talent? Or discipline? Campbell has always had talent. It is easier when you have had a winning tradition. Kids know that it's a team effort. If you can get the kids at a school like Campbell believing in themselves, and not listen to the "Garbage", then you could built from that. The problem I see is that Coaches want to implement their offensive system into the kids. "Do it my way or take the highway". You're not playing. You run this route, or you will be replaced. I believe you need "FIRST" to make it fun for the kids. We all remember recess at school going out to play football? Can I ask...How many times did you line up in the Stacked I? Or; maybe, the Wing T? I am confident to say maybe a few, but most likely "Never". Defense is a little different? Defense is more disciplined in knowing your responsibility,; but, teach to attack the football which they all do anyway at recess. The new coach has to make it fun so they can spread it out into the community to other kids. If you give them some freedom to do their thing like they did during the recess "Days". You will see talent at Campbell.

Spread All Day

Is it talent? Or discipline? Campbell has always had talent. It is easier when you have had a winning tradition. Kids know that it's a team effort. If you can get the kids at a school like Campbell believing in themselves, and not listen to the "Garbage", then you could built from that. The problem I see is that Coaches want to implement their offensive system into the kids. "Do it my way or take the highway". You're not playing. You run this route, or you will be replaced. I believe you need "FIRST" to make it fun for the kids. We all remember recess at school going out to play football? Can I ask...How many times did you line up in the Stacked I? Or; maybe, the Wing T? I am confident to say maybe a few, but most likely "Never". Defense is a little different? Defense is more disciplined in knowing your responsibility,; but, teach to attack the football which they all do anyway at recess. The new coach has to make it fun so they can spread it out into the community to other kids. If you give them some freedom to do their thing like they did during the recess "Days". You will see talent at Campbell.
I agree. Campbell usually has talent but they are very very undisciplined. There used to be a lot of Campbell posters online shout out big dean but idk where they went. With the right coach they will be successful. But it’s such an uphill battle.

Bigdean1

Coaching at Campbell is tough. From my point of view the biggest problem is numbers, work ethic of the kids, and stability. I was surprised to hear Coach Sikora was stepping down after just two seasons. His staff was really good. Whomever takes over is going to have his hands full. The league is only going to get tougher with Crestview and Garfield as regular opponents. Open enrollment would help. But from what I understand it's not on the table.

nupanther

The little league comment is false, Campbell plays in the upper division of that league, occasionally they’ll play a Columbiana. But they play Struthers/Poland/Austintown/Youngstown/lakeview

Also Springfield refuses to play the bigger school tier, they play the schools like Lowellville.
You can go on the mvyfa website and look at all the schedules
My apologies on the little league. A few years ago they were playing the smaller schools. Didn't think to go back to the website to see if it's still true.

nupanther

From purely a football standpoint, what would open enrollment accomplish? A couple players here and there from maybe Strurhers or Ytown who are looking for playing time? May help overall numbers but it won't return Campbell to glory days. Or even 500 ball. Theres gotta be a young guy that can jumpstart that program.

Jaws31

In order for Open Enrollment to work the school has to be attractive to parents and students. Is Campbell school district appealing? I'm going to say no. A lot of people think that OE is the answer but there are plenty of schools that have it that are terrible. There has to be a reason to send your kids there.

Salad76

In order for Open Enrollment to work the school has to be attractive to parents and students. Is Campbell school district appealing? I'm going to say no. A lot of people think that OE is the answer but there are plenty of schools that have it that are terrible. There has to be a reason to send your kids there.
More appealing than the city schools

OE would help you get a decent coach that could bring city kids with them