Cam Newton, Kirk Cousins Named Most Underrated, Overrated QB in Defensive Survey

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins both missed the playoffs, but they came in on opposite ends of the spectrum in an anonymous survey of 85 defensive players from 25 different teams conducted by The Athletic.

Newton received the most votes as the league's most underrated quarterback, while Cousins topped the list of the most overrated ones.

Philip Rivers and Alex Smith rounded out the top three in the underrated category, while Russell Wilson, Mitchell Trubisky, Drew Brees and Lamar Jackson notched multiple votes.

Eli Manning was the runner-up as the most overrated signal-caller, although Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston and Sam Bradford all received multiple votes.

Read more:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814994?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

Watched Newton play quite a bit this year. His line was just OK and his WR group was average, but even when he had time or receivers were open, he was liable to make the wrong read or misfire. He's not that good.

I find it hard to believe that Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston and Sam Bradford are "overrated" when most people know that they are average, or below average, at this point.

I thought Cam was overrated. NFL players aren’t very bright

Neither are some Yappi posters. Who would no better than the players who actually compete against these QB's. who the top QB's are. I think a lot of Newtons problems this year had to do with him being injured. Before this season he had put up some very good numbers ( rushing and passing ) and had helped take his team to the Super Bowl. I would take Newton over 90% of the QB' s in the league.

Newton had a bad throwing shoulder injury. No coincidence their downfall from 6-2 started when he got hurt, it looked like he barely could throw the ball 10 yards downfield

If I had to rank them, I'd put 8 or 10 QBs ahead of him. Oddly, I don't think there's a huge difference in where I'd rank him and Cousins.

I almost hate to bring this up because I don't like to bring up race. But considering it's NFL defensive players, who probably are what, 80-85% black, do you suppose the numbers are skewed a little? I mean, Tom Brady was considered overrated?? At least we know it can't be from any of the Charger players...

I know it is hard for a redneck to understand, but many pro athletes do not see race in the locker room. It is just teammates and non-teammates.

The simple fact is that Cousins never wins big games, and he has always padded his stats when his teams are behind, especially in Washington. Fantasy players love him, real football people do not. Vikings were fools to guarantee all that money to him.

Newton is a stud. As stated above his shoulder injury ruined his season. Is he BRady or Rodgers at reading defenses? No. Is he a great QB? Yep.

Cam's an outstanding athlete and a good QB, probably better than 2/3rds of the NFL QBs. He's not a particularly accurate passer, but he possesses size, strength and speed that benefits him in other aspects of the game.