California moves wrestling to spring!?

Best leadership I've seen in the sport in reaction to this whole pandemic. I'm sure there will be naysayers, but CIF is going to give themselves the best chance of a season getting away from the flu season.

Coach Root
Totally agree, makes complete sense, would love for Ohio to follow suit- and fast. Clearly the future is uncertain as it related to Covid-19, but moving winter sports to the spring gives time for the the uncertainty of return to school to work itself out, and allows student athletes to still have a goal to work for. Personally, I'd love to see this change stay permanently. It's solves the two semester sport issue, and gives wrestlers, coaches, families, their holidays back. Perhaps FS/ GR USA Wrestling events season flips to late summer- fall. Maybe Fargo moves to a warmer climate, and becomes a fall event before the NCAA season kicks off....

Totally agree, makes complete sense, would love for Ohio to follow suit- and fast. Clearly the future is uncertain as it related to Covid-19, but moving winter sports to the spring gives time for the the uncertainty of return to school to work itself out, and allows student athletes to still have a goal to work for. Personally, I'd love to see this change stay permanently. It's solves the two semester sport issue, and gives wrestlers, coaches, families, their holidays back. Perhaps FS/ GR USA Wrestling events season flips to late summer- fall. Maybe Fargo moves to a warmer climate, and becomes a fall event before the NCAA season kicks off....
It might make a lot of sense this year...but I’m not convinced you have to make the move just yet. Start planning for it and make the decisions as needed but it’s a fluid situation. I’m not sure you have to make the call on wrestling just yet.
As far as your feelings about making it permanent making sense—sure if your serious wrestler doesn’t like playing football in the summer/fall because of FS or your less serious wrestler doesn’t enjoy playing baseball. As such, I’m not in favor of this as a permanent schedule...that said...if we need to for the upcoming season—so be it, I’m on board if it has to be.

So youre going to make a kid choose between track and wrestling.... or baseball and wrestling.

There goes all my on the fence guys, and average guys... Any school that heavily relies onmulti-sport athletes (most small schools) will probably be in a lot of trouble.

Track is fun and a hangout spot with usually boys and girls around at the same time....

That
So youre going to make a kid choose between track and wrestling.... or baseball and wrestling.

There goes all my on the fence guys, and average guys... Any school that heavily relies onmulti-sport athletes (most small schools) will probably be in a lot of trouble.

Track is fun and a hangout spot with usually boys and girls around at the same time....
thats my point...that’s why I don’t favor the permanent move....
temporarily, if it is move season back or no season at all, I would rather see a moved season.

That

thats my point...that’s why I don’t favor the permanent move....
temporarily, if it is move season back or no season at all, I would rather see a moved season.
If its the choice between no season a season... i guess. I'm pretty sure I'll be coaching my kids for free as I won't have enough to field a team.

If its the choice between no season a season... i guess. I'm pretty sure I'll be coaching my kids for free as I won't have enough to field a team.
True here too. Every one of my kids either runs/throws on track or plays baseball

Best leadership I've seen in the sport in reaction to this whole pandemic. I'm sure there will be naysayers, but CIF is going to give themselves the best chance of a season getting away from the flu season.

Coach Root
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't calif move football to spring also?

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't calif move football to spring also?
Very early spring. So I assume they will be practicing in January and competing in late Feb. with a championship at the beginning of April. I suppose the weather is more forgivable out there....

Here in Texas they moved the biggest 2 classes of football to late September start with January state championships. Left small schools with normal schedule. This was based on big schools in dense population urban areas and small schools in rural areas less affected. It is true for probably 90%. Some small schools in cities too.

No change as of now to the wrestling season, but it is anticipated. Problems come in for track/baseball kids that also wrestle. Ohio similarly has multisport athletes. Pushing one season (football) affects winter and spring sports. Kids more than ever will be forced to pick sports. The year round wrestler will just adjust schedules. November-March becomes February-June, not really that big of a deal.

Like other societal issues, Covid-19 effects will be felt for years to come. I can see smaller schools not having enough kids and suspending the season due to kids choosing other sports. I coached at a very small school in Ohio right out of college and we shared the same 20 kids for 3 sports. This could be ugly...

Here in Texas they moved the biggest 2 classes of football to late September start with January state championships. Left small schools with normal schedule. This was based on big schools in dense population urban areas and small schools in rural areas less affected. It is true for probably 90%. Some small schools in cities too.

No change as of now to the wrestling season, but it is anticipated. Problems come in for track/baseball kids that also wrestle. Ohio similarly has multisport athletes. Pushing one season (football) affects winter and spring sports. Kids more than ever will be forced to pick sports. The year round wrestler will just adjust schedules. November-March becomes February-June, not really that big of a deal.

Like other societal issues, Covid-19 effects will be felt for years to come. I can see smaller schools not having enough kids and suspending the season due to kids choosing other sports. I coached at a very small school in Ohio right out of college and we shared the same 20 kids for 3 sports. This could be ugly...
And you know the old saying, " ugly is ugly" like a pink and orange house with 1 window.

It would be interesting if this happen in Ohio. I haven't heard much talk at all about this switch.

Maybe as we get closer to wrestling season and things are bad, there could be more talks about doing this switch in Ohio.