Buchtel's Chris Livingston to Western Reserve Academy?

Wow! Must be smart kids to get into WRA. That is one of the best schools in the state.

Is WRA going to start beefing up their schedule?

Wow! Must be smart kids to get into WRA. That is one of the best schools in the state.

Is WRA going to start beefing up their schedule?

Both boys have been attending the STEM high school, just playing for Buchtel. So yes, they have smarts. Although I highly doubt being average students with their athletic abilities would preclude their being accepted at WRA.

Splitting this off the Akron City Series thread...

The chatter for this has been increasing over the last week and I think it is time for it's own thread. Hearing this behind the scenes and posted a few times elsewhere. This is big news for the Akron area and HS basketball...

Both boys have been attending the STEM high school, just playing for Buchtel. So yes, they have smarts. Although I highly doubt being average students with their athletic abilities would preclude their being accepted at WRA.
Not sure how it is now at WRA but in the past, sports really didn't mean much there. It was all about your academics. Of course, things could have changed as that was over a decade ago the last I heard about them.

Not sure how it is now at WRA but in the past, sports really didn't mean much there. It was all about your academics. Of course, things could have changed as that was over a decade ago the last I heard about them.
I can tell you from watching WRA Football team from 18 and 19, they got some kids to play football. I have ZERO knowledge on those kids academics, but one kid came from Canada and another from Columbus St Charles. That's just the two noticeable ones that I did a little Google search on. I believe WRA website said everyone must play 1 varsity sport. The football game was free, I'm sure the other sports are free to get in.

About 18 yrs ago they wanted my nephew to come play football as a fifth year senior. He declined choosing instead to enter Mount Union and play there.

Can the Livingstons play this season? My friend said the transfer window is closed for this year. Or is Western Reserve not an OHSAA member school? IDK

Can the Livingstons play this season? My friend said the transfer window is closed for this year. Or is Western Reserve not an OHSAA member school? IDK
There are 2 Western Reserve Academies in the OHSAA - one in Berlin Center and one in Collins. There is a 3rd (Hudson) that is not an OHSAA member, if I am correct. It's a nightmare trying to enter schedules when they never specify.

They are definitely not an OHSAA member. They are considered DVII in football but do not participate in the playoffs. They both will be eligible the whole season at this new school as long as WRA allows it.

Wow! This is really a strange transfer, although it might make sense because both of the twins will have an opportunity to improve their academics. Chris should be set for college due to his exceptional athletic ability. In fact, with a little luck he could go pro before he completes his college education. The move to WRA will really help Cordell since he doesn't possess Chris' basketball ability.

The change in the academic envrionment should help the twins, but I can't see an upside to the athletiic situation at WRA (unless they are attempting to build some type of national schedule). I would think the schedule, coaching and the ability to play in the OHSAA tournament would be a huge plus for staying at Buchtel.

Whatever the case, I wish the twins well. There are certainly reasons for the transfer and I'm sure they gave it much thought. In many ways, it's nice to see that young players are giving thought to academics and making it a priority (if that truly is the reason for their transfer).

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be immediate talk about whether this is a one-and-done situation for Chris. As has been alluded to above, three years in the hinterlands of WRA doesn't make a lot of sense for a top flight prospect from a basketball competition standpoint. Then again, the option of going from Buchtel to WRA to (fill-in the blank) carries with it its own stigma. Whatever they decide, I wish the Livingston brothers the best.

I would think that WRA also has the flexibility to add some games to their schedule if they want. I was really looking forward to seeing them with Buchtel in the tournament this year but at least they are staying in state at a prep school.

I'm pretty sure The Beacon had an article about their mother graduating from NEOMED earlier this year. I think she is pretty serious about making sure they get the best education possible. My son used to have basketball workouts there 5-6 years ago.....Great facilities!

I'm pretty sure The Beacon had an article about their mother graduating from NEOMED earlier this year. I think she is pretty serious about making sure they get the best education possible. My son used to have basketball workouts there 5-6 years ago.....Great facilities!

Good info, allworld! Here's the ABJ article:

Let's stop pretending this had anything at all to do with academics.
Things got sour quick between Grandpa Livingston (the family decision maker) and Futch. WRA was the closest viable option that allowed immediate playing time.
I agree that leaving Buchtel had nothing to do with academics. The Livingstons were thriving at the STEM school from all accounts. But the decision on where they landed seems to have taken academics into account. There were likely any number of academies across the country that would have willingly taken the Livingston boys where they would have been able to play right away, as well. WRA is not historically a basketball powerhouse. But it is (1) an excellent school; (2) close to home; and (3) offers the opportunity for the young men to play right away. So while academics may have had nothing to do with the decision to leave, my guess is it did have something to do with the decision to send them to WRA.

fighting, not showing up for practice or even wanting to practice, parents or grandparents feeling like they could control the team.. should I go on? How much is a coach supposed to take before enough is enough

fighting, not showing up for practice or even wanting to practice, parents or grandparents feeling like they could control the team.. should I go on? How much is a coach supposed to take before enough is enough
I was led to believe how committed the family was to the school last year. Again, who pays the tuition for WRA which is in the $35000 range to board there?

I'm guessing WRA picks up the tab through some type of scholarship system that the Livingston family qualifies for. I'm sure many of the private schools in Ohio do something similar for their student/athletes and their families as well.

First, WRA is not a member of the OHSAA and does not need to follow their rules. They (WRA) can offer as much scholarship money as they want. According to the WRA website tuition for day school is 32,500, while boarding tuition is 47,300.

Second, being a "pep school", either one (or both) can us a 5th year of high school, know as a prep year. Several players have declared for this at the ISA at Andrews Osborne in Willoughby. ISA has two teams, a high school team and a prep team that is made up of 5th year seniors.

First, WRA is not a member of the OHSAA and does not need to follow their rules. They (WRA) can offer as much scholarship money as they want. According to the WRA website tuition for day school is 32,500, while boarding tuition is 47,300.

Second, being a "pep school", either one (or both) can us a 5th year of high school, know as a prep year. Several players have declared for this at the ISA at Andrews Osborne in Willoughby. ISA has two teams, a high school team and a prep team that is made up of 5th year seniors.
They could also "reclass" and come in as freshmen. You cannot serve a 5th year if you graduate already from there. They would need to do a prep year somewhere else. Actually the schedule is decent and has been for some time. The current Head Coach has tried in recent years to up the incoming basketball talent and schedule but has had a hard time competing with higher level teams as the depth of the program is thin. As far as tuition I am sure there will be none. The Academy is awesome and welcoming to kids from all walks of life and social-economic backgrounds. Its not an exclusive school for Rich Smart kids at all. If they buy into the school and become part of it they will thrive there. Its the oldest school in Northeast Ohio. It is not uncommon for these circumstances to happen at WRA where the grandpa or parents try to influence the situation and it never comes out in their favor. Good luck to them