Buchtel-East District Semifinal Suspended Due to Fight (Buchtel Advances)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buchtel two bigs get 4 game suspensions. Wouldn’t be eligible again until State title game. Buchtel will appeal to Ohsaa with slim hopes the penalty’s are revised. Buchtel advanced To district final vs Gilmour. East players handled internally.
Boy those suspensions sting a little bit more in the post season, ouch. I wonder if the Griff's get knocked out, do the suspensions get rolled over to next season?

I think four is bit harsh. IMO, which counts for nothing, two would have been sufficient. Maybe on appeal.

I think four is bit harsh. IMO, which counts for nothing, two would have been sufficient. Maybe on appeal.
Often a punishment is issued contemplating that it will be later reduced to what they thought was appropriate to begin with. That way, both sides save face and a fair penalty is rendered... Not sure that's how it will work out here, but if it does, then I agree 2 would be fair.

Last edited:
Well, there goes any chance Buchtel had of winning a state title.

I do think that if the Griffins have enough players eligible for the district final, those guys should be allowed to play. Kicking the whole team out of the tournament would have been too harsh.

ANOTHER Embarrassment for the City Series. Does the district even see how abaolutely disgusting this is? IF they had any balls, the Superintendent and AD would have said, "NOPE, you are DONE! You cannot act like this and continue your season."

ANOTHER Embarrassment for the City Series. Does the district even see how abaolutely disgusting this is? IF they had any balls, the Superintendent and AD would have said, "NOPE, you are DONE! You cannot act like this and continue your season."

Maybe they will to the players involved. No need to punish all with this nuclear option.

Well, there goes any chance Buchtel had of winning a state title.

I do think that if the Griffins have enough players eligible for the district final, those guys should be allowed to play. Kicking the whole team out of the tournament would have been too harsh.
Cry before it happens.

And in their infinite wisdom, Akron BOE combines Akron Garfield and Akron Kenmore!! Guess we should be happy they didn't combine Akron East and Akron Buchtel!!

And in their infinite wisdom, Akron BOE combines Akron Garfield and Akron Kenmore!! Guess we should be happy they didn't combine Akron East and Akron Buchtel!!
That scenario never would have happened. The BOE caved to the East community early in the period of the construction of the new buildings, circa 2003. If I’m remembering correctly, the initial plan was to close East and send its students to other schools. It may have had the smallest student population. There was an outcry from alumni and parents. The Board caved, giving them the first of the new high school buildings.

Last edited:
That scenario never would have happened. The BOE caved to the East community early in the period of the construction of the new buildings, circa 2003. If I’m remembering correctly, the initial plan was to close East and send its students to other schools. It may have had the smallest student population. There was an outcry from alumni and parents. The Board caved, giving them the first of the new high school buildings.
You are remembering correctly.

Last edited:
The fact the Buchtel kid punched (or attempted to punch) someone leads to a four-game suspension since that is considered "fighting" under the general sports regulations.

Any adults punished? Charges? Suspended?
I hope so! I don't see criminal charges unless they actually got involved in the fight, throwing punches, etc. You could probably fashion a disorderly conduct charge out of going onto the court, but if I'm a municipal prosecutor, I have a lot more pressing matters to deal with! But if they can be identified, then they can (and should) be suspended from attending games for a while. Now I'm not sure if that suspension would have to come from the school or from OHSAA. But they definitely should be kept out of the gym for a spell.

In actuality, Akron Buchtel had a smaller enrollment than Akron East, but the BOE would never give thought to closing 1040 to merge with Akron Firestone..
Akron East should have merged with Akron Ellet creating a NEW Akron East. And 1040,Akron Buchtel should have merged with Akron Firestone creating a NEW Akron West high school. Akron now only needs 4 high schools which would all be D 1.

I hope so! I don't see criminal charges unless they actually got involved in the fight, throwing punches, etc. You could probably fashion a disorderly conduct charge out of going onto the court, but if I'm a municipal prosecutor, I have a lot more pressing matters to deal with! But if they can be identified, then they can (and should) be suspended from attending games for a while. Now I'm not sure if that suspension would have to come from the school or from OHSAA. But they definitely should be kept out of the gym for a spell.
Akron BOE needs to take a strong stance. Penalize schools and adults. The players also have to held accountable for fighting, leaving the bench, etc. The OHSAA needs to go to Akron multiple times in the next 6 months. Mandatory educational meetings for administrators, coaches, and players. This is embarrassing, school-based athletics should not tolerate these behaviors.

In actuality, Akron Buchtel had a smaller enrollment than Akron East, but the BOE would never give thought to closing 1040 to merge with Akron Firestone..
Akron East should have merged with Akron Ellet creating a NEW Akron East. And 1040,Akron Buchtel should have merged with Akron Firestone creating a NEW Akron West high school. Akron now only needs 4 high schools which would all be D 1.
The rumbling and mumbling that went down in Ellet when an East closure/East-Ellet merger was discussed nearly 20 years ago was ugly.

This is how I recall the discussions, too; that East was going to be merged with Ellet.; which would have made perfect sense. And there were to be a number of other mergers considered as well. But the BOE caved in and once they built the new East building, then all the talk of mergers (except for Garfield/ Kenmore) pretty much went away. It's sad because the timing was perfect. They were rebuilding schools which absolutely needed to be done. That would have given them perfect cover to merge. But now that all the new buildings have been built, they won't be merged any time soon. Why wasn't it done? Yes, there was public outcry. But, to me, that wasn't it. It was the administrators and the teacher's union that stood in the way because of the jobs that would have been lost. And, truth be told, the BOE really didn't care so much about the teachers. But, like most institutions, APS is very top heavy with administrators, and the BOE wanted to protect them. In the end, you are right, there should be 4 high schools in Akron.

This is how I recall the discussions, too; that East was going to be merged with Ellet.; which would have made perfect sense. And there were to be a number of other mergers considered as well. But the BOE caved in and once they built the new East building, then all the talk of mergers (except for Garfield/ Kenmore) pretty much went away. It's sad because the timing was perfect. They were rebuilding schools which absolutely needed to be done. That would have given them perfect cover to merge. But now that all the new buildings have been built, they won't be merged any time soon. Why wasn't it done? Yes, there was public outcry. But, to me, that wasn't it. It was the administrators and the teacher's union that stood in the way because of the jobs that would have been lost. And, truth be told, the BOE really didn't care so much about the teachers. But, like most institutions, APS is very top heavy with administrators, and the BOE wanted to protect them. In the end, you are right, there should be 4 high schools in Akron.
Good call. Those board spots are all too often used as political stepping stones and as a result they are filled by aspiring politicians more concerned with appeasing people than making the difficult yet right decisions.

A novel thought: Hand out a one-year "death penalty" to both schools and make any underclassmen on the teams ineligible for next year should they try to transfer to another OHSAA school. Harsh, but should have a far-reaching effect beyond one school year.

Wow, you can actually feel the intelligence quotient of this thread going down.
1646514852869.png

It's plummeted under 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.