Browns want to interview Condoleezza Rice for head-coaching job

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I thought this had to be from the Onion but it looks like it is actually serious. Also looked to make sure that this wasn't originally printed on April 1st. Did someone hack Adam Schefter's account?

Browns general manager John Dorsey said last week that he was open to hiring a woman as Cleveland's next head coach, and one prominent name is on the team's wish list to interview.

The Browns would like to interview former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for their head-coaching job, a league source tells ESPN.

If the Browns follow through on it, Rice would become the first woman to interview for an NFL head-coaching job.

Read more:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

The theory on reddit is that the Browns' front office is trying to figure out who's leaking information, so they're telling different people ridiculous possible candidates.

Satisfies the Rooney rule and she's a big Browns fan so she'll take the token interview.

Evil genius actually.

Interesting possibilities. She could hire Dick Cheney as Off. Coordinator as he is an expert with the shotgun.

The theory on reddit is that the Browns' front office is trying to figure out who's leaking information, so they're telling different people ridiculous possible candidates.

This sounds legit!

I know she is a big football fan and had mentioned her dream job would be the commissioner of the NFL which she may be good at if she would then hire a good staff.

As a HC? Cleveland isn't in the position to reinvent the wheel. They TRIED to do that with Sashi and relying heavily on analytics even with him not knowing football.

This sounds legit!

I know she is a big football fan and had mentioned her dream job would be the commissioner of the NFL which she may be good at if she would then hire a good staff.

As a HC? Cleveland isn't in the position to reinvent the wheel. They TRIED to do that with Sashi and relying heavily on analytics even with him not knowing football.

I dont think the Sashi idea was a bad one. If Sashi was willing to share control over drafting/personel decisions with a guy like Dorsey, I think they would have been on to something. The bottom line is you need a football guy, who is good at identifying talent, to cash in in the assets/picks that were accumulated.

Him "interfering" with the McCarron trade was probably the best thing he did. I think Sashi deserves more credit than most probably want to give. He wasnt great by any means but he did leave the Browns with a lot of salary cap flexibility and a good amount of assets to build on. I didnt agree with his whole "this isnt the year to draft a qb" mantra.

I dont think the Sashi idea was a bad one. If Sashi was willing to share control over drafting/personel decisions with a guy like Dorsey, I think they would have been on to something. The bottom line is you need a football guy, who is good at identifying talent, to cash in in the assets/picks that were accumulated.

Him "interfering" with the McCarron trade was probably the best thing he did. I think Sashi deserves more credit than most probably want to give. He wasnt great by any means but he did leave the Browns with a lot of salary cap flexibility and a good amount of assets to build on. I didnt agree with his whole "this isnt the year to draft a qb" mantra.

He set the table for Dorsey. His biggest mistake was kicking the can down the road on a franchise QB, passing on Wentz & Watson.

At the time, I wanted Wentz and thought Watson would bust. In hindsight, Watson looks like he could be the better pick and I wouldn't trade Mayfield for Wentz right now.

Bottom line, Sashi made no big moves for a couple years and prolonged the suffering. Any idiot could have done nothing and left Dorsey with lots of picks and cap room. it just so happens Sashi was that idiot.

Bottom line, Sashi made no big moves for a couple years and prolonged the suffering. Any idiot could have done nothing and left Dorsey with lots of picks and cap room. it just so happens Sashi was that idiot.

For the Browns, doing nothing, seems to be the best thing they could have done ;) AJ McCarron may disagree though

For the Browns, doing nothing, seems to be the best thing they could have done ;) AJ McCarron may disagree though

And that dolt Dave Lapham, was a guest on 92.3 in Cleveland when this was about to go down and was saying it was a "great deal for Cleveland." Andy Friggin Dalton's backup for a 2nd & 3rd.

Now Lapham won't even take an interview with them after he hung up on Ken Carman when Carman was saying how much "You" Jackson sucked and Lapham was trying to defend him.

And that dolt Dave Lapham, was a guest on 92.3 in Cleveland when this was about to go down and was saying it was a "great deal for Cleveland." Andy Friggin Dalton's backup for a 2nd & 3rd.

Now Lapham won't even take an interview with them after he hung up on Ken Carman when Carman was saying how much "You" Jackson sucked and Lapham was trying to defend him.

Lapham is basically a Bengals employee, hard to take what he says seriously.

I do like listening to him occassionally just for his random shouts over Dan Hoard trying to call the game. Whenever there is a fumble you can guarantee he will be screaming "ball ball ball" repeatedly. Would think anyone else in the booth would need ear plugs

Lapham is basically a Bengals employee, hard to take what he says seriously.

I do like listening to him occassionally just for his random shouts over Dan Hoard trying to call the game. Whenever there is a fumble you can guarantee he will be screaming "ball ball ball" repeatedly. Would think anyone else in the booth would need ear plugs

I think every franchise has their homer guy. Tunch Ilkin for Pittsburgh is insufferable. The Browns have Doug Dieken but he's just kind of laid back & aloof, like a 280 lb Eeyore.

I think every franchise has their homer guy. Tunch Ilkin for Pittsburgh is insufferable. The Browns have Doug Dieken but he's just kind of laid back & aloof, like a 280 lb Eeyore.

Love listening to the home town guys. Hear the bengals crew a lot and Lapam even interviews on a local Lima station occasionally.

Tooonch....Tooooonch Ilkin for the steelers is the same way and the late, great Myron Cope of Terrible Towel fame was that way as well.

Was some female on 97.1 the Fan in Columbus yesterday in studio who was saying Condi would do fine as a HC blah blah blah and throwing out different examples. While a HC may not be the X and Os day to day, that HC has to have football knowledge.

Just like the CEO of a huge company may not know how to be a floor supervisor at a factory and advise, assist employees on their actual jobs I don't think Condi would be a good HC.

I think she could do a good job at Commissioner though.