Boys Soccer Scores (10/12)

Fairfield beat Mason 1 - 0 on a 2nd half PK (hand ball in the box) to win the GMC title. The last time the Indians won the boys GMC title was in 2010.

As an aside tonight also saw the FF girls beat mason to win the GMC girls soccer title.

Bellbrook 3
Eaton 1

Bellbrook wins its 26th consecutive SWBL Championship, thanks in no small part to Oakwood’s defeat of Monroe last week!

Fairfield beat Mason 1 - 0 on a 2nd half PK (hand ball in the box) to win the GMC title. The last time the Indians won the boys GMC title was in 2010.

As an aside tonight also saw the FF girls beat mason to win the GMC girls soccer title.

Congrats on a very well executed game plan. Didn't love the handball call, but Fairfield played disciplined defense and worked counters well. I thought they would just play for a tie but that was not the case. Congratulations on a great year, I hope you now get some of the press you have been deserving all season.

I wish you a smidge less luck in the playoffs though. ;). Well played. Congrats.

Fairfield D is good...can keep them in any game (like tonight) Mason controlled the game just could not finish. PK was a very tough call.

Fairfield D is good...can keep them in any game (like tonight) Mason controlled the game just could not finish. PK was a very tough call.

Wasn’t there, didn’t see it.....but why are so many PK’s “tough calls”. Every PK I’ve ever called were ‘no brainers’ / 100% ‘had to be called’ decisions. iJS.
:shrug:

Congrats to Danny and the Fairfield Indians for winning the GMC. Best of luck to all the GMC teams in the tourney.

Was a tough call because it went against their Mason boys.

Not even close to accurate. Ball hit defensemen in the upper arm. I've seen it called and not called all season in the middle of the field. I believe it was a judgment call for the ref and he called what he saw. Tough way to give up a pk for sure, but not the refs fault, as high school goes the officiating was normal, maybe even leaning toward "good".

Mason didn't convert on the handful of chances Fairfield allowed. The are a very good team as you know.

My point was tough to lose on a judgment call, but Mason had plenty of possession in order for that not to be an issue.

Fairfield didn't allow Mason to score. Can't win if you don't score... pk or no pk.

And a tie still crowns Fairfield GMC champs. They didn't tie. They won.

Last edited:
Anybody see this game and can give an analysis?

I saw a lot of Elder games this season, including the Carroll game last night. The season was a pretty big disappointment. Elder went 2-9-5, when on paper the team should have been capable of better than that. From my perspective, it was a combination of poor strategy and player management on the coach's part, some individual player mistakes that affected the outcomes of some games, and the team just never seemed to "gel" and play well together.

Last night was a different story. It was Senior Night, so there was a lot of energy coming from the Elder side. The coach actually let the seniors play most of the game without devising some dumb strategy (yes, it was actually a coaching strategy this year to leave the far side wide open during certain games, which good teams picked up on and scored on multiple occasions simply by switching fields - SMH) or making a lot of poorly timed substitutions. No one made any big individual mistakes. Elder played a keeper last night who hasn't played much this season (from what I saw, anyway) and he was pretty active, cleaned up some breakaways and dominated the penalty box pretty well; not sure why he didn't get more time this season. And, Elder was able to string together multiple passes without making unforced errors that turned over possession, which had been a problem in the previous games I saw. Elder's forward (#9 I think) had some good runs at goal but just couldn't finish.

I had expected Carroll to come out stronger, to dominate the game from the start, and to play a higher pressure style. Carroll didn't play badly, they just played in a more laid back relaxed style than I expected, and that style allowed Elder to get in and stay in the game. Until the last 15 minutes of the game or so. At that point, Carroll tried to amp it up, but it was just too little too late. Not sure if maybe Carroll was not playing their regulars, or if the long ride on a yellow school bus took anything out of them. It just wasn't quite the Carroll team I had anticipated.

Congrats to fairfield. Mason just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor this year. Brutal schedule (probably the hardest in school history) doesn't change the fact that this is the first time they've failed to reach double-digit wins since joining the GMC. What was actually Mason's best result this year? 1-1 tie against St I? 1-0 win over Springboro? All of their games have been close but despite winning a lot of possession battles they just can't put the ball in the net enough against talented and organized teams.

Time thru video for slo mo is about 63:07 for those that wanna.

Live, I didn't see his hand sneak up there, but there it is. Still have seen no call happen in other games, but I totally stand behind my earlier posts.

Can't win if you don't score, this play doesn't make much difference.

The arm moved, it stopped the shot, thus affected the play. Under the NFHS Rules, which are clearly more ‘liberal’ with regard to handling, this WAS the appropriate call.

That is NOT what this video shows; if you believe it IS, you are truly “blinded by your bias”......

Geez, give me a break - I was at the game, and that’s how I saw it live. I was mistaken, but I obviously didn’t have the benefit of seeing a slow mo replay. I agree it was a handball, and the PK was justly awarded.