Bowl Games You Are Watching

Not just the SEC, most P5 schools. It's hard to get kids mentally ready for what amounts to a meaningless game after you were in the hunt for the playoff.

That is nothing more than an excuse and the supposedly better team does not always win whether its the reg. season or a bowl game.

So 2008 Utah was the best team in the country? It's obvious these teams don't care. I even called it earlier in this thread before kickoff. Any team in the playoff would destroy UCF.

No one here is saying that UCF is the best team in the country. What we're saying is maybe the damn committee needs to think a bit out of the box before awarding half the freaking playoff spots to the SEC.

PBoy is not giving UCF enough credit. They played a straight-up, no-nonsense game today and beat Auburn. I never got the sense that Auburn wasn’t engaged or trying 100%. As others have noted, no trick plays were used. They even missed one FG and had another blocked and still won. Auburn came to play today and got beat, bottom line.

I agree with all of this except I want 12 or 16 team playoff. If it's 12 teams you give the top 4 seeds a 1st round bye and they would also get to play their 1st game at HOME in the elite 8 round. That would be plenty of motivation to finish in the top 4.

Only chance it ever gets that big is to cut down the regular season to 10 games over 12 weeks and remove the Conference Championship games. Having 12 or 16 requires at least 4 weeks of games. They could pull off 8 under the current schedule, the Quarterfinals would just play the middle of December, two weeks off then Semifinals, one week off then Championship.

Only chance it ever gets that big is to cut down the regular season to 10 games over 12 weeks and remove the Conference Championship games. Having 12 or 16 requires at least 4 weeks of games. They could pull off 8 under the current schedule, the Quarterfinals would just play the middle of December, two weeks off then Semifinals, one week off then Championship.

D3 does it and I think they play 15 games and those kids actually have to take classes and pass them! You would not have to cancel the conference championship games. At most you would have to cancel two of those games teams play against the Little Sisters of the Poor early in the season.

D3 does it and I think they play 15 games and those kids actually have to take classes and pass them! You would not have to cancel the conference championship games. At most you would have to cancel two of those games teams play against the Little Sisters of the Poor early in the season.

Right, that's what I'm saying. Mount Union finished the season 10-0, then ran off 5 victories to win the Stagg Bowl. Their first playoff game was November 18, with each round one week later. Not sure if MU had any bye weeks like teams will have in college but at the very least it would require shortening the regular season by two games. Play 10 games over 12 weeks, then you could include the Conference Championship. That's the only way 12 or 16 will work.

They could make 8 work with the schedule they have now, but it'll likely include a team or two that made the Conference Championship Game and lost in some years.

Right, that's what I'm saying. Mount Union finished the season 10-0, then ran off 5 victories to win the Stagg Bowl. Their first playoff game was November 18, with each round one week later. Not sure if MU had any bye weeks like teams will have in college but at the very least it would require shortening the regular season by two games. Play 10 games over 12 weeks, then you could include the Conference Championship. That's the only way 12 or 16 will work.

They could make 8 work with the schedule they have now, but it'll likely include a team or two that made the Conference Championship Game and lost in some years.

Well if you play a 10 game schedule, then play a championship game you can limit a team to at most 15 games with a 16 team playoff field.

Or you could play a 12 game schedule, have a conference championship game, and have an 8 team field with automatic bids by the conference champs, 2 wild cards (must be from different conferences) and the highest rated NON power conference team. No conference could get more than 2 teams in (the champ + 1 at large).

This year you would have had a field with:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
Ohio State
Wisconsin
USC
UCF

Looks like some interesting match ups to me and I seriously doubt you would have a Bama versus Georgia final.

Think about how an

I think that had been discussed weeks ago after the Final CFP Rankings were released. Those matchups are great and you're right, probably wouldn't result in UGA-Bama as it will now. I prefer an 8 or even a 6-team playoff. But even with that field of 8, you're adding two teams with two losses. Should 2-loss teams be able to play for National Championships? Depends on who you ask.

I think that had been discussed weeks ago after the Final CFP Rankings were released. Those matchups are great and you're right, probably wouldn't result in UGA-Bama as it will now. I prefer an 8 or even a 6-team playoff. But even with that field of 8, you're adding two teams with two losses. Should 2-loss teams be able to play for National Championships? Depends on who you ask.

Why shouldn't a 2 loss team be eligible or for that matter a 3 loss team? A team that finishes 13 - 2 or 12 - 3 as champ is nothing to sneeze at. The peculiar FBS football notion that the sport requires perfection is not seen at any other level of football - from pee we to the pros.

The problem with automatically assuming a 1 loss team is more worthy then a 2 or 3 loss team to compete for a title is that it requires certain knowledge that they both played equivalently difficult schedules which is impossible. This is particularly true in college football where the ebb & flow of teams up & down the rankings over the course of a season means that estimating a schedules difficulty is ALWAYS in flux!

Not just the SEC, most P5 schools. It's hard to get kids mentally ready for what amounts to a meaningless game after you were in the hunt for the playoff.

So you’re saying the coaches and players in the big ten have better character and better work ethic than any other conference.
Interesting.