Bob Goldring, OHSAA, Speaks to Media first time on Fall sports

Good grief. A total copout by the OHSAA again. First of all, would somebody please explain to me how fall sports can go forth this year? No fans = all expenses, no revenue. If professional sports are operating with a restricted fan attendance, there is no way in hell high school athletics are going to be allowed to operate with 5000 fans in attendance. Somebody has to make a decision--and it is not a tough one to make---NOW! What a prime example of lack of leadership.
They are showing leadership. You just don't like where they are going.

Last edited:
My wife's district announced a five day return last month. Based on emails it sounds like the district is quickly formulating plans to go all remote based on current data. Things are moving and nothing is set in stone
I reluctantly agree, especially with the announcement of the special 5:30 presser by Dewine tonight. He very well could shut everything down again.

Senate Bill 4 was passed into law and the legislature meets today. So the presser is likely about that. More funding for schools as they push to open up.

capital appropriations. PPE. And other items are paid for by the state.

Could be completely wrong but it’s a fairly big ticket item that schools desperately need. I don’t think the press conference has anything to do with sports. Further, the only reason to have something on Wednesday and the reason why Dewine never does is because Wednesday is when the legislature is in session. Hence waiting until 530.

I agree with Jaws, things are not looking good. As for the OSHAA. Pay Joe Eitel to do the computer rankings, the highest ranked team play home each week and split the gate after expenses, Venues can bid on the championships and the member schools split the gates. Have an elected committee of AD's handle the incidentals, violations and rules. Goodbye OHSAA and their overblown salaries/expenses.

PSAC just postponed all sports for the rest of the calendar year. 18 Universities in PA.

Last edited:
Jaws, you saying that has me worried. No way they shut things down again.

According to WLW news he is thinking about stay at home orders in select counties. If that happens, it means it's over for the foreseeable future here in Hamilton and Butler County. GBM

According to WLW news he is thinking about stay at home orders in select counties. If that happens, it means it's over for the foreseeable future here in Hamilton and Butler County. GBM
Sorry to hear that things are going that awry. Hopefully things can get under control in your area.

Update from a SW Ohio District. Without the district saying it, I think the logesticts of adhering to guidelines etc are going to be too much and you will see some schools go back to remote learning. I think the financial burden is too great.

Just one simple example---- a teacher only has a class set of textbooks--- what do you do? Make thousands of copies and using paper the district has no budget for? I really hope Dewine finds a way to give schools money to make this work

Each member school will decide whether it will have sports or not. If the state government clears high school sports to be played, the OHSAA intends to sanction them.

“We really feel that it’s the schools’ decision whether they will have sports or not,” Goldring said. “We don’t think it’s the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s place to say ya or nay to sports.”

So what happens if a school decides to not have sports? Do their opponents get a forfeit win? Do they have to try to schedule another game? Will it be counted as never being played? Does the other team have to still abide by the minimum number of games played to make the playoffs? What kinds of nightmares will this cause?

Each member school will decide whether it will have sports or not. If the state government clears high school sports to be played, the OHSAA intends to sanction them.

“We really feel that it’s the schools’ decision whether they will have sports or not,” Goldring said. “We don’t think it’s the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s place to say ya or nay to sports.”

So what happens if a school decides to not have sports? Do their opponents get a forfeit win? Do they have to try to schedule another game? Will it be counted as never being played? Does the other team have to still abide by the minimum number of games played to make the playoffs? What kinds of nightmares will this cause?
The OSHAA should be more clear on that. I'm betting that there will be sort of an average Harbins Points system where depending on how many games you get in. Some may play 8 games, some may play only 5 games. The OSHAA should implement some guidelines to follow or this will be a mess.

I think you have to go into it with all eyes open. I don't envy anyone having to make these decisions.
My point is we just keep waiting and waiting. I don't think you can do remote learning long term with "normal" school students. Yes, it works for some, it works for select students, it works for college students who have a stake in the outcome. The rank and file, typical student, especially those who are not strong students in the elementary and middle school levels, they just get left behind big time.

I believe some of your questions were answered. There will not be a minimum of 8 games required if a team cannot get them.....and computer points are fairly easy to move around in Ohio. Instead of using 100 as your divisor, use it as actual games played (80 for 8 games, etc). I'm not sure if you have ever taken the time to figure out the point system, but its fairly straight forward. Forfeits.....most likely another easy and universal fix. Don't count them as played. But the points you bring up are fairly simple fixes. The only problem that will arise is if a team suddenly only has a two game schedule. Then that's an AD problem. This is why we will need to see answers sooner than later. I'm guessing we will see them tomorrow in Dewine's Thursday afternoon briefing. Tonight, I just can't imagine sports is on the forefront.

I believe some of your questions were answered. There will not be a minimum of 8 games required if a team cannot get them.....and computer points are fairly easy to move around in Ohio.
Really - when were they answered? When did OHSAA clarify the "8 games against sanctioned opponents" rule?

Instead of using 100 as your divisor, use it as actual games played (80 for 8 games, etc). I'm not sure if you have ever taken the time to figure out the point system, but its fairly straight forward. Forfeits.....most likely another easy and universal fix. Don't count them as played.
The problem is OHSAA has been wildly inconsistent on "no contest" versus "forfeit" the past couple of seasons when a game is not played. Marion Elgin last year told Frankfort Adena last year that "we will not be playing because we do not have enough players to safely play", and OHSAA gave Adena the forfeit 'win' for that. In previous years, OHSAA has ruled those situations as "no contest." It ended up actually hurting Adena to be awarded the forfeit 'win', as Elgin went 0-10.

Further, there is still the controversy of a game-not-played being ruled a "no contest" late last season that is suggested to have impacted the final computer points rankings for Division V, Region 18... with the additional allegation thrown on the Yappi forums that the game was cancelled by the school as an underhanded attempt to shed the scheduled opponent's L2 impact. This is the Lutheran East vs Mathews controversy, where it had been alleged (but not substantiated) that Lutheran East intentionally cancelled on Mathews in order to improve the computer average as a 'win' against them would have lowered Lutheran East's average. LE ended up making the playoffs as a result of the averaging out. Whether LE actually did pull something seedy is its own topic, but the point being the above situations were the exact same thing with two different outcomes and OHSAA has demonstrated to be rather inconsistent on this lately.

Right now, there are still a lot of big questions on this topic. Teams don't know if the "an opponent has to be added by October 1 in order to count for computer rankings" rule will be amended in light of the uncertainty portending.

Really - when were they answered? When did OHSAA clarify the "8 games against sanctioned opponents" rule?

Further, there is still the controversy of a game-not-played being ruled a "no contest" late last season that is suggested to have impacted the final computer points rankings for Division V, Region 18... with the additional allegation thrown on the Yappi forums that the game was cancelled by the school as an underhanded attempt to shed the scheduled opponent's L2 impact. This is the Lutheran East vs Mathews controversy, where it had been alleged (but not substantiated) that Lutheran East intentionally cancelled on Mathews in order to improve the computer average as a 'win' against them would have lowered Lutheran East's average. LE ended up making the playoffs as a result of the averaging out. Whether LE actually did pull something seedy is its own topic, but the point being the above situations were the exact same thing with two different outcomes and OHSAA has demonstrated to be rather inconsistent on this lately.

Right now, there are still a lot of big questions on this topic. Teams don't know if the "an opponent has to be added by October 1 in order to count for computer rankings" rule will be amended in light of the uncertainty portending.
Yesterday. Goldring addressed 8 games.

Times are different now, right? I don't expect "forfeits" along with the expanded playoffs to even be effected much by said "no contests".

You are right. We need to know now. AD's have to know. The OHSAA has to set rules. And amendments need to happen for the season to occur. This is why I foresee a decision tomorrow on sports. If not....Dewine and company are putting pressure on the OHSAA to do a heck of a lot in a very small amount of time.

They are showing leadership. You just don't like where they are going.

It's very obvious that you have never been exposed to great leaders. There are man great ones in the business field. Goldring is nothing more than a puppet for the OHSAA Board members. A true leader would have issued a statement on how fall sports will be handled and how the OHSAA will lead you through this mess. I have no dog in this race so I don't care one way or another, but a decision has to be made----NOW!

If we are playing football the next question becomes fans in the stands. What does that look like and can high schools afford say a 20% capacity Friday night?