Boardman's Ron Moschella steps down as coach

SteelValley

Just saw that Boardman long-time head girls coach, Ron Moschella, has resigned. Jeff Hammerton, asst coach, will take over immediately.

Anyone have any insight as to why?I know Boardman is really down this year, but it's not like he would step down due to that.

546 wins in 30 season for Mosch. He's had one heck of a career as a coach and made Boardman into one of the best girls programs in NE Ohio and even the state.

Well... I wish this coach the best of luck if he continues coaching, and I have been critical of him in the past, and still do not like his style. I do not mind coaches are loud, yellers, aggressive, etc... but to me, this guy made it out about him, and only him. I attended two games vs. GlenOak. In the entire gym, I could only hear him, and he made references to me and I alot. Not the team, Boardman, or the program in general. After seeing the 2 games vs. GO, I told my wife I will never attend a GO vs. Boardman game as long as that guy was coaching. And... how about his poor coaching staff. JV coach never even had a chance to coach do to his ego trip.

I know nothing about the program at Boardman, but if I was a betting man, I would bet on two things. Either one, people were tired of that style, kids stopped going out, and he may have been hearing it in his ear from the administration. Or, he has had so much talent in the past, does not have the talent now, and doesn't know how to deal with losing, and quiting is the easy way out.

Go ahead fans of this coach, and start ripping me. I am giving my 2 cents on my views of watching this coach. One thing, you can't take away all his wins, and I know he had a girl or two go to MSU, I think.

Please stop guessing when you really don't have a clue.... have you thought of the fact that he may have some personal issues that caused him to resign. This wouldn't be mid-season imho if it were any of what you're ranting about. He missed the McK game for health/medical testing reasons, maybe it has something to do with that. Either way, like him or not it won't be the same without him and he was very successful with what he did there. Best wishes Coach Moschella!

Coach resigned Sunday night, called the girls and informed them about health concerns and how it was not fair to them that he was unable to devote the appropriate time to the team. He stepped aside and Coach Hammerton will take over. Good luck to Mosch and pray for good health and happiness to him.

Ron will be fine.

Has some medical issues that are exacerbated by stress. The job will still be his when and if he chooses to return.

To thewho:

What you see is oftentimes far from the true picture.

Ask ex players for the last 20 plus years what they think of him. Hell, ask ex opposing players.
Ask them what he has done for them on and off the court.
Come to practices a couple times and see what goes on there.
Ask Federal League and old Steel Valley coaches what kind of guy Ron Moschella is beyond the sometimes wild man you see on the bench.
Ask referees the same. Ask the media.

Please stop guessing when you really don't have a clue.... have you thought of the fact that he may have some personal issues that caused him to resign. This wouldn't be mid-season imho if it were any of what you're ranting about. He missed the McK game for health/medical testing reasons, maybe it has something to do with that. Either way, like him or not it won't be the same without him and he was very successful with what he did there. Best wishes Coach Moschella!

What part of I know nothing about the Boardman program didn't you get. I thought this was a site based on thoughts, facts, and opinions. I gave an opinion of what I thought happened because in girls basketball today, alot of girls are quitting do to tougher coaching. I hear it all the time. In fact, I have been told in girls basketball win or loose, you will 95 percent of the time be fine with keeping you job. If you run the girls off, you will be gone. Sorry if I hit a nerve with you. Really sorry to hear about this man's health concerns, that is 10 times bigger then girls basketball. I wish him the best of luck!

I too have known Ron for a long time and know him to care about his girls very much..love or hate his style, he got the most out of his teams....as far as gettting one of two girl in college he has got many young ladies to the next level ; Michigan State, Penn St, South Carolina St, Ohio State, Illinois St and YSU more recentley...one thing I do know is hie girls LOVE him as well as the parents...so its not true that he would be run off....I hope Ron is OK because he is one of the best coaches in the state of Ohio...and if you as a coach was lucky to beat him...cherish it!!!

Last edited:
thewho,

My issue isn't with you having an opinion it's with basically kicking a man while he's down and/or making giant leaps in judgment/guessing on what happened before knowing the story. Moschella is a very polarizing character so to speak in coaching... you're not alone in disliking his methods.

CC's got it right though, despite all that we all as fans see during games with his style, the kids still love him and play incredibly hard for him. The man knows the game. Ditto the hoping he can resolve the health issues and get back to coaching. It'll be too weird seeing Boardman without him on the sidelines.

thewho,

My issue isn't with you having an opinion it's with basically kicking a man while he's down and/or making giant leaps in judgment/guessing on what happened before knowing the story. Moschella is a very polarizing character so to speak in coaching... you're not alone in disliking his methods.

CC's got it right though, despite all that we all as fans see during games with his style, the kids still love him and play incredibly hard for him. The man knows the game. Ditto the hoping he can resolve the health issues and get back to coaching. It'll be too weird seeing Boardman without him on the sidelines.

Totally see your point, and understand. I do apologize about my comments. I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A HEALTH ISSUE... That was my bad making a judgment. I still stand by what I said about his coaching methods, but this is a bigger issue then that. I see my fault!

We wish coach M the best. He would help any kid to make them them a better player or better person he is one of the best and to find a great coach especially in girls basketball is like finding gold in a mine. You have to be on the inside to really know what goes on. He also helps kids with getting into colleges, not many coaches do that, but there are a few. One thing for sure he will always be a coach to remember so many coaches are easily forgotten. So many coaches in girls basketball don't even know the game.

Ron and his staff would also help any local team that needed help installing some O or D that would help them. Any Team!
Even those that we would be playing! Many instances where we went to a team's practice or there was a special meeting set up with the coaches to advise them of a press-breaker or another way to set-up their pressure, etc. Not to mention advice on non-area opponents that those schools would be playing.

Despite the histrionics Ron is a good, good man who helped untold number of non-Boardman players and coaches.

I've said before, if all the coaches in the Boardman athetlic program put in the time and effort that Mosh does with his program, you would have a lot more Boardman sports teams regularly among the state's best from that athletic program. The athletic talent's been there and is there, not all coaches have that motivation and love for what they do like he does.

Not to say there aren't some great coaches there and the athletic program hasn't had some great results from many of their programs, but there's a few programs that over the years who have wasted some good talent at that school. one of which is the boys hoops program. I would've loved to see what Mosh could've done with some of the talent they had in the 90's and early 00's. Or even the last 5 years or so.

He's definitely one of the best, if not the best, Boardman's had as a coach.