Boardman football coach Joe Ignazio resigns from program

The problem is Boardman probably sees next year as a season to win a lot of games and wants a proven coach. But yes, Brungard would have been a top target. Which is why I think Guerriero, had Springfield won the state championship, would more likely taken the job.

And for the stealth pick, are we really going to get Ogilvie to come back? At the current stage of his career can't see him coming back even though he would absolutely be well received.

Mine is Mike Pavlansky. He's got a great gig at Canfield but probably has gotten everything he could out of them.
No chance Pav leaves Canfield

What about Yeagley at South Range? Has he ever shown interest in moving up to a bigger school? I would be shocked if he did, but I'm sure that there are some bigger schools that would welcome him! Cusick as well. However, it just wouldn't be the same for either school without them on the sidelines since they've been there forever lol! They are the 2 of the most successful small school coaches in the area! Also, how long has McDonald's coach been there? He's had good success as well!

Yeagley has been at Range since the mid-90s, I believe he’s the 2nd longest tenured coach in the area behind Spaite at Columbiana. I think if he had interest in leaving it would’ve been in the mid-2000s when they had that crazy run. Williams (McDonald) has been there since 2000 and is an alum, I don’t see him coaching anywhere else.

I think a gettable small school coach that’s had success would by Armeni at Labrae

I highly doubt that Dan would leave South Range. He bleeds burgundy and gold thru and thru. ;) I think he will stay at Range until they boot him out the door.

Hearing a lot of names. Tom Phillips is the most recent. Would be a good move. Been successful at Stow. Has worked in a college program (Cincy). Young enough to relate to the players, but experienced enough to know what he wants. I don't even think they've started interviewing yet, but just a new name that's been floating around lately.

Why would Tom Phillips come (back) to Boardman? He's in a great situation at Stow. That being said, when he did an interview with Sam Bourquin after taking the Stow job he spoke glowingly of the situation there which resembled Boardman in the mid/late 90s when he was an assistant here. But he was with such a great staff, Dan Pallante, Ron Stoops, Dave Pavlansky, Roger Patterson, etc...

Boardman needs a strong lineup of assistants and that is hard in the current climate when you're banking on teachers. What Phillips said made Boardman a great place to coach in the 90s was how all the staff were teachers. There just aren't enough of them to go around these days and Boardman probably hasn't adapted as well as other schools have in that aspect.

Phillips would be an insane get, but I'd like Guerriero or Brian Jones...look for some Federal League assistants to apply, I wouldn't mind getting someone from say the Perry staff

Don’t know Brian Jones, have heard good things, but he doesn’t have much head coach experience (1 year?) and has been in the booth and not on the sidelines recently. I’m interested to see the type of candidates who apply for this job.

Don’t know Brian Jones, have heard good things, but he doesn’t have much head coach experience (1 year?) and has been in the booth and not on the sidelines recently. I’m interested to see the type of candidates who apply for this job.

There's a long list of head coaches that didnt have any experience or limited experience as a head coach prior to becoming successful head coaches across every level of football. That would not be a deal breaker for me if I felt strongly enough about the candidate and they had a proven track record of success as a coach. 2 from our area that immediately come to mind are from just this past season with Parker at Fitch & Prolongo at JFK. Both had really nice seasons and appear to be the right choices. I do not know if Jones is ready to get back into coaching but I also would not view his broadcasting negatively as you do. He has been able to stay connected to the game and get out each week and analyze the many different successful programs in our area.

Last edited:
There's a long list of head coaches that didnt have any experience or limited experience as a head coach prior to becoming successful head coaches across every level of football. That would not be a deal breaker for me if I felt strongly enough about the candidate and they had a proven track record of success as a coach. I do not know if Jones is ready to get back into coaching but I also would not view his broadcasting negatively as you do. He has been able to stay connected to the game and get out each week and analyze the many different successful programs in our area.
Yes, everyone has to get a break at some point. Come to think of it I think the last few Boardman coaches were first time head coaches. I do however think having a guy who has had success beats inexperience, but as I mentioned before...they have to be willing to go get them. I doubt Boardman will. No offense on Jones, but I would rather have coaches on the sideline working not in the booth second guessing. I just heard he last coached at Poland, so maybe he has the in there? Is he a teacher?

Yes, everyone has to get a break at some point. Come to think of it I think the last few Boardman coaches were first time head coaches. I do however think having a guy who has had success beats inexperience, but as I mentioned before...they have to be willing to go get them. I doubt Boardman will. No offense on Jones, but I would rather have coaches on the sideline working not in the booth second guessing. I just heard he last coached at Poland, so maybe he has the in there? Is he a teacher?

I think he was the OC under Brungard at Poland and then under Williams for his 1st season. Poland fans could probably elaborate better on it.

I really don’t think there’s any specific candidate or candidates zeroed in on as has been mentioned here. I do know it will not be an inside hire and I get the feeling they are trying hard to land the best possible coach and staff. That’s good to hear it’s not the same old approach. We’ll see though.

I really don’t think there’s any specific candidate or candidates zeroed in on as has been mentioned here. I do know it will not be an inside hire and I get the feeling they are trying hard to land the best possible coach and staff. That’s good to hear it’s not the same old approach. We’ll see though.
What is the timetable for their hire?

Not if they want to win it shouldn’t lol
He only lost 3 games, in his last 2 seasons at Harding. Not saying he is a great candidate, but don't see many big names available right now. Bad time to be looking for new coaches in my opinion, in our area anyway

He only lost 3 games, in his last 2 seasons at Harding. Not saying he is a great candidate, but don't see many big names available right now. Bad time to be looking for new coaches in my opinion, in our area anyway
Would you want a big name to be “available”? My take is if they are available it’s because it didn’t work out somewhere else.

Hard to say who might apply but there are some good coaches locally especially at smaller programs that you never know if they may be interested. Especially with Boardman not having a boardman guy basically lined up ahead of time, as was usually the case in the past. Most avoided applying knowing it wasn’t worth their name bring out there for a job they had no chance at.

Would you want a big name to be “available”? My take is if they are available it’s because it didn’t work out somewhere else.

Hard to say who might apply but there are some good coaches locally especially at smaller programs that you never know if they may be interested. Especially with Boardman not having a boardman guy basically lined up ahead of time, as was usually the case in the past. Most avoided applying knowing it wasn’t worth their name bring out there for a job they had no chance at.
Definitely understand. Just threw out my opinion on Dota, and also was just saying that no big name seemed available at this time. Does not mean, they couldn't find a good coach. Look at Fitch, they seem to have found a good coach, based on his first year.Hoping Boardman finds the right guy.

I know west branch couldn’t wait to get rid of him, and I think the game has changed and passed him up

I know west branch couldn’t wait to get rid of him, and I think the game has changed and passed him up
You definitely could be right. I know he did not do that much at West Branch. I think they were just average at best when he was there. Also, time flies, when he was at Harding that was 10 to 15 years ago.

Guerriero would be a great fit. The money would be better(as a Teacher, and Coach). Closer to home. Still young, and the ability to coach at a higher level. I believe he has kids in the school system also? I can see him at Boardman.

Guerriero would be a great fit. The money would be better(as a Teacher, and Coach). Closer to home. Still young, and the ability to coach at a higher level. I believe he has kids in the school system also? I can see him at Boardman.
I can see him at boardman, but he’s not gonna leave with Brungard about to be a senior

Maybe Dana Balash will get the list like he did for other openings last offseason. Always interesting to see who and how many applied.

Lots of interest in this job. As previously stated, the Administration is looking outside of the school system unlike in years past so many people are being considered.

I really can't imagine ANYONE hiring Hake after what happened at WR. Seriously, are there no other worthy applicants??? The guy has no experience coaching at that level, and was busted doing an illegal drug seconds before walking in to a classroom full of young kids whom he was responsible for! If he gets ANY coaching position I would be very surprised and I would imagine that there would be quite a bit of backlash from the parents of the district!