Boardman football coach Joe Ignazio resigns from program

Struthersfan

Just saw this.
Any comment from Spartan fans?

BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – Boardman head football coach Joe Ignazio resigned from his position Monday morning.

Ignazio has coached in the Spartans’ program for 18 years and leaves with a record of 32-49 during his eight seasons as head coach.

During that span, Ignazio led Boardman to playoff appearances in 2015, 2017 and 2018.

“We appreciate all the efforts of Joe Ignazio as a coach who emphasized hard work on the field as well as in the classroom,” said Boardman athletic director Marco Marinucci in a release. “He was a dedicated coach who also stressed good sportsmanship and character with our Spartan athletes and we wish him well.”

Boardman High School also announced the process to find a new head coach will begin immediately.

IGNAZIO-1.jpg

Great news. This is an attractive job for someone that wants it. Strong junior class, good mix of athletes, tough kids, and a supportive community. Hopefully the school board casts a wide net.

This was in the making since last year. No Boardman fan who’s connected is surprised. It was time for some new blood in the program. I’ve heard of a few candidates so we will see what happens.

Just saw this.
Any comment from Spartan fans?

BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – Boardman head football coach Joe Ignazio resigned from his position Monday morning.

Ignazio has coached in the Spartans’ program for 18 years and leaves with a record of 32-49 during his eight seasons as head coach.

During that span, Ignazio led Boardman to playoff appearances in 2015, 2017 and 2018.

“We appreciate all the efforts of Joe Ignazio as a coach who emphasized hard work on the field as well as in the classroom,” said Boardman athletic director Marco Marinucci in a release. “He was a dedicated coach who also stressed good sportsmanship and character with our Spartan athletes and we wish him well.”

Boardman High School also announced the process to find a new head coach will begin immediately.

View attachment 12597
Could DJ Oglivie be coming back at Boardman.

And has won a state championship in the past at Poland.
He was also instrumental in turning around Crestview's program from doormat to league champs/playoff contender in the late 80's/early 90's. We were just as bad as Sebring until 87 and 88, when he was the DC. He took over as HC in 1989 and stayed through 1995.

He was also instrumental in turning around Crestview's program from doormat to league champs/playoff contender in the late 80's/early 90's. We were just as bad as Sebring until 87 and 88, when he was the DC. He took over as HC in 1989 and stayed through 1995.
Every bit as bad as Sebring.
Saw an afternoon game at Lowellville in the 70's. Painful to watch.
Certainly did turn that program around.

Ryan Williams is stepping down at Poland... can’t imagine why, other than he’s going to be taking over at Boardman.

Talent is way down in Poland the next couple years

True. But they should be very good again next year. Them take a step back for a few years starting in 2022. And they should still be decent.
The only reason for him to step down now is if he has a better offer on the table.

True. But they should be very good again next year. Them take a step back for a few years starting in 2022. And they should still be decent.
The only reason for him to step down now is if he has a better offer on the table.
It’s probably this job. They don’t have much talent from the juniors down right now. Idk if Williams will be a good fit at boardman if he gets the job. I would rather have fecko if I was boardman

It’s probably this job. They don’t have much talent from the juniors down right now. Idk if Williams will be a good fit at boardman if he gets the job. I would rather have fecko if I was boardman

Right. I just don’t think he steps down at Poland unless he has a guarantee. Regardless of what they have coming up.
As long as he gets a good OC, he should be alright. They’d definitely be more smashmouth under Williams than they were under Ignazio... which Boardman fans have been begging for for years.

He wouldn’t be my first choice... but it wouldn’t b the worst pick either.

I'd love to see Brian Jones in the mix as either a HC or offensive coordinator. I'm big on TV analysts coming back to coaching at all levels. And I was impressed by his analysis during the WKBN broadcasts...plus he was successful at Poland under both Williams and Brungard.

I'd be a bit underwhelmed by Williams. I'd love to see Guerriero but that would have been an easier move if Springfield won state this year. With another year of Brungard and having him as OC I can't see him leaving.

Right. I just don’t think he steps down at Poland unless he has a guarantee. Regardless of what they have coming up.
As long as he gets a good OC, he should be alright. They’d definitely be more smashmouth under Williams than they were under Ignazio... which Boardman fans have been begging for for years.

He wouldn’t be my first choice... but it wouldn’t b the worst pick either.
The offense will be key if he goes there, you cannot be one dimensional when you play schools the size of the schools that boardman plays. Isn’t boardman supposed to play Poland this year? How crazy would that be

Would boardman actually go after someone from the outside? Is there anyone on the inside worth taking a shot on ?