Boardman Football 2020

BHSspartans13

Not sure we have a season preview yet...after a disappointing 3-7 season (albeit with 2 OT losses and a couple other near misses) with a fairly inexperienced squad a pretty large (70+) team takes the field this year. Lots of talented juniors on offense, including all the skill positions. Jason Triveri should be the starter but it seems he may miss week 1. What does everyone think of the upcoming season.

AT Fitch
vs East
AT Howland
vs Ursuline
vs Mooney
AT Canfield

Feels like a schedule that should net 3 wins? Though if all comes together could be 5. JVs were excellent last year. With all teams making the playoffs, best to play a lot of players and see how things shape up.

I’d agree 4-2 Or 5-1. Fitch is the only team on paper that seems better.

There’s a lot of skill back and also experience on the line with some decent size.

It sounds like Terrence Thomas will be the QB week 1 if Triveri isn’t ready. I’m not sure what his arm is like but Thomas is electric with the ball in his hands so if anything I’d expect a good running attack w/ him and O’Horo behind a fairly experienced line.

Ideally though, Triveri will be back at QB as he has a good arm and moves around well too. Plus it puts Thomas back at WR where he can be utilized in many ways and also helps get the ball to Cam Thompson who may be as good as any WR in the valley. I think Triveri makes this offense very balanced and more difficult to defend.

I’m not overly concerned about the offense - they should be able to put up points. The defense is where they need to show a huge improvement as last years D was as poor as I’ve seen in awhile, especially stopping the run which is a Boardman strength usually. I know it was a young group and they had a few injuries, so I’m hoping things improve with some more experience/strength and health.

This game will be broadcast live at 7 p.m. Friday on Spectrum
NEO Warren-Youngstown WYTV Channel 997 MyYTV

www.newsbreak.com

Rivals collide Friday LIVE on the WKBN Game of the Week | News Break
Austintown Fitch will host Boardman to kickoff the 20th season of the WKBN Game of the Week. Rivals collide Friday LIVE on the WKBN Game of the Week. After weekend shooting in Youngstown, issue of ambulance response time revisited again. Boardman School Board praises outgoing treasurer, welcomes...
www.newsbreak.com
www.newsbreak.com

Hard to take much from what game because East is down this year but a win is a win. Thomas, for being a QB for only a couple weeks now is getting better with Triveri the starter out. He's a heck of an athlete. Need another W vs Ursuline next week.

Last edited:
If Triveri comes back it's easy to see them becoming quite dominant on offense. They have a lot of weapons and would get the max out of Thomas and Thompson. Better teams right now can load up on Thomas in the backfield and eliminate the threat of a vertical pass game.

How is it possible to play pass defense so consistently poorly each and EVERY year !!! Spartan 505 , I use to think you had a beef or just had some type of issue against the Spartans staff ,however your critique or criticism can’t be contested bc the culture lately with Boardman Football is subpar. . The staff needs to begin to assume the bulk of this lack of success and not pass it off. . So much skill and no game time coaching adjustments at half time on either side of the ball game after game year after year has become terribly frustrating. Against a non-passing and limited offenses such as the bad East high Team last Friday as I watch on YSN. I was amazed at the inability to scheme both sides of the ball an really never change it up . . Now offensively Terence Thomas certainly can run well, however these Spartan play callers created a 1 dimensional team and take OHoro, Cam Thompson and any other threats out of the game.OHoro has become a blocking back and Thompson nowhere to be found .. Another year of wasted talent and not utilize the entire teams talents. Trust me this only ‘gets worse each week as boardmans opponents see game film, their opponents game planning and boardman does the same old predictable offensive play calling BS. The predictable offensive sets even though they may throw an occasional wrinkle or Variation in there but it’s still obvious and the opponents defenses are so ready it’s sad !! They have the running back go in motion for a screen or bubble however however only If the running backs could just drift out in the flat in a run type set or formation to disguise things better it would be less obvious .. However the qb has to be able to make some reads or decisions , better accuracy and quicker release and dump off ball to running backs with out the predictability but the run coordinator just shows a QB and as a result this team is on a ride to nowhere regardless how good they feel the qb is . The same set play calling and run all plays out of that set would stop the opponents defenses from calling their defenses prior to snap knowing where the play is going bc of the obvious sets boardman has been running allowing the defenses to know boardmans plays and tendencies!! .. Regardless how much the staff loves the Thomas kid he can’t win games alone against good teams and they are only kidding themselves if they can’t see it . . They have forgoften football is a team sport .. Boardman has to share the ball and stop being so 1 dimensionally predictable . Getting proper personnel in the game will establish a better run game which will steadily move chains which will control the clock to keep their Defense off the field. Now T Thomas is dangerous but to run him on every kick off every punt every running play every play is just mind blowing to me .. When it blows up and Thomas gets injured blame yourself ... The team has to have some other talent or creativity without the hook and ladder and crazy play calls that that Tarrantino seems to Love and live off from what I’ve heard . !! lHow about the example of the extra point last season when Boardman went for the win vs Mooney on the 2 point conversion play call from I’m guessing that the same play caller called. , he called that tight end around Run-pass-option (RPO)to Miller from the 2 1/2 YD line That miserably failed !, Boardman gained 6 to 9 yards on 8 straight plays up the middle Prior to the running TD up the middle on the final game tying TD drive .Now Mooney’s starting defensive tackle was out of the game injured or cramping that entire final drive and the staff completely didn’t even notice or realize this . As a result boardman should have punched the ball in off tackle but didn’t recognize that and as result Bhs lost the Mooney game bc he thinks he is some crazy play coordinator ..East high Golden bears strength was their Defensive Line and as result Boardman really struggled establishing the run however they should have established the run in both weeks 1 and 2 if they got even slightly a blocking back at tight end or up back and they can’t make adjustments or change Personnel .The Offensive line needs a shake up.. They should put a tight end in the game with a kid who CAN Carry out a block . This staff can’t win with 1 player and they are failing to use other talent .If continued it may get Thomas killed by using only him on every offensive play plus special teams, kick offs , punts ect ! !! Its time to figure out how to get back to that team football concept. This Offensive coach is fooled into thinking that was a good win because I’m happy they won but that was a terrible win Vs a bad East teamFootball team. FB is a team sport not an individual sport or about one kid!!! The offensive execution will become more difficult each week as the opponents game plan off of the game films . Now if Boardmans offense can’t sustain ball control and move the chains and chew the clock then their defense will be on the field far to long and will just be worn out completely then you will really see the wheels fall off this bus or boardman season ! Triveri better be healthy bc when returuns he may run for his life bc they only have plays for qb it appears . Spartans need speed coming at the Ursuline QB from the end or edges vs Ursuline not the big but slower rushers from previous weeks or this qb kid will abuse you guys !!

Nothing like having a running clock put on you at home against a team that won 1 game last year lol by halftime
Not questioning Boardman has very serious problems with their program, but Reardon went out and got some players this offseason and had a few studs coming back. They won one game last year but our a totally different team this year.

Not questioning Boardman has very serious problems with their program, but Reardon went out and got some players this offseason and had a few studs coming back. They won one game last year but our a totally different team this year.
Not doubting they are improved but Boardman shouldn’t be losing 33-0 to anyone in the area at half, any season, ever. Ursuline still got handled by Fitch so while they are improved they aren’t exactly Mentor, Hoban or Massillon (neither is Fitch).

Boardman also had over half their starters back from 2019 team that beat Ursuline by a few TDs and has significantly regressed with those same players. That’s on coaches not developing players.

Sure, but a program with the resources Boardman has can certainly put a better product out on the field. Basically running a rec league offense is inexcusable even without the starting QB. And the defense can't stop a thing.

It's been 8 seasons now, we know Boardman isn't getting any better under ignazio. And he's actually had some talent. His 2017 team should have probably made the final 4 in D2...but it's been all downhill since. And the players aren't getting any better once they get to varsity competition which is all on the coaches...

Not doubting they are improved but Boardman shouldn’t be losing 33-0 to anyone in the area at half, any season, ever. Ursuline still got handled by Fitch so while they are improved they aren’t exactly Mentor, Hoban or Massillon (neither is Fitch).

Boardman also had over half their starters back from 2019 team that beat Ursuline by a few TDs and has significantly regressed with those same players. That’s on coaches not developing players.
I actually agree with you. Boardman needs a big shake up. Coach wise and scheme wise.

To add to the “state of the program” discussion it was nice seeing Boardman’s best jr high football player taking snaps as the backup QB as a freshman for Ursuline in the 4th. Good thing we are so deep at QB that apparently our #2 option is a WR :rolleyes:

I think talent has somewhat masked the need for a new head coach to the general/avg fan because 6-4 and sneaking into playoffs was “ok” with some people or at least not enough to fire a coach. The last 2 years are making it clear how deficient the coaching is and there’s no doubt a complete overhaul of the staff is needed at season’s end.

Last edited:
COVID will be the excuse that Ignazio gets this year, right?
Has Thompson caught more than 1 pass all season? I mean the guy was probably the top returning wideout in the whole area lol

Losing Triveri really messed things up, especially the passing game with a WR playing QB now but wow this coaching staff is embarrassing. Especially defensively....

Last edited:
The administration and leaders of the school system should be embarrassed that this team usually gets out coached every single game. How many years have they wasted talent now? But hey, as long as they are apart of the Boardman family, right?.....

Boardman went from having Tom Phillips play a huge role in the offense and Ron Stoops with Roger Patterson running the defense 20-30 years ago to a bunch of amateur hour on the current staff. It shows.

The criticism is well deserved . The 2017 team coaching laid an EGG and that team definitely that team would have advanced to the State semi Final until they hit Hoban ! ....Then the year before 2016 fb season may be even worse in Koontz senior season to go 4-6 after starting the year 2-0 after the emotional win vs Mooney.. A 6’5” D-1 talent Of Koontz and the RB Koby some last name I can’t pronounce but he sure was good. Then the following week from Mooney upset a loss to Massillion Jackson which they choked on defense and then a complete breakdown from that point forward of the season where the staff couldn’t Bring the team back after bad losses to Steubenville and Warren Harding where a good staff could’ve turned that season around with high school kids but not this group . Now this current season with the more limited talent, a limited Offensive line, A wideout playing qb. No ability to pass the ball accurately and a defense that is a nightmare. I would consider a stacked I or wing T and use your RB to run or even just make him a blocking back with another true blocker in front of the RB and grind 3-4 yards every play and go old school even if boring but effective if they coach these kids Properly .. .. Even if they only want to run Thomas In this stacked I . Go to this old-style football until the true QB returns . Maybe even occasionally go under center And even call some passing plays out Of this set and and play action bc it may actually be more deceptive Or hold the defense .The passing Accuracy is currently just not there. So with HOWLAND and Mooney games coming up which are both winnable games , but simplify the offense and control the ball and clock . Stop pretending they are something they’re not!! Start building the offensive scheme around who’s in the game not what the coaches like or watch high power college programs run with D-1 talent !!!!

There’s absolutely no way running a power Ior wing T would be a good idea with this team. Have you seen the live play? It’s been atrocious (both sides).

There’s absolutely no way running a power Ior wing T would be a good idea with this team. Have you seen the live play? It’s been atrocious (both sides).
Old people are always so quick to want to go to the wing t because it worked in 1980. Only works now with a few programs because it is extremely difficult to prepare for And very few programs run it. Less programs run it successfully

Spread all day you do know the definition of insanity ? Bc Boardman is doing the same thing and expecting a different result which is not happening.. Id love to air it out all day and have a throwing type offensive team ! but you have to establish a run game if you want to pass effectively.. A Passing game Is fast , exciting and enjoyable to watch if a team has all the right components . Unfortunately boardman currently does NOT possess those pieces . A good throwing team requires a good true QB not a backup. Need good receivers with good route running ,speed ,timing patterns and no fear. Coaches whom actually game time coach!. A Coaching staff who modify game plan as the game changes throughout the course of a game. Mix up and change the game plan each game based on an opponents strengths or weaknesses each week !. A solid 5 man offensive line .. Unfortunately Boardman is lacking in3 or 4 of those areas of needs. So the air it out and a fast offense boardmans coaches try to pretend they are and want to run 85 offensive plays a game Trying to be the slowest hurry up offense ever .! That won’t be successful with the current Personnel and coaching staff Boardman has playing and coaching . The Backup Qb Thomas can run well obviously , unfortunately his throwing accuracy is terribly inconsistent and his incompletions have killEd Boardmans drives . He struggles completing simple bubbles, screens and simple short passes . . Then making things worse is the coaching does not adapt or modify as the game’s flows and momentum changes. My only point in previous post was if boardman went to a power i or a 2 or 3 running back back type backfield set to assist the inconsistent offensive line blocking because they break down so much that 2 or 3 running back approach would help offset the seven men the defense puts in the box against Boardman‘s five lineman. I honestly believe you can grind out 3 or 4 yards every play with that type backfield . Now agreed the Wing T is very difficult but I was using that as a mere example. Even Run Thomas behind Ohoro and behind the front back who is a blocker with a one wide receiver set! I believe that receiver will be defended with man coverage which can be the ideal match up do you want for a pass in for just Thomas ever does pass until Trveri returns. You can also run bootlegs with Thomas after you establish to run up the middle consistently. I believe you could have much success and simplify the offense that’s what I’m saying Not bc I’m old bc I’m not that old lol . Regardless who’s ideas are better it’s time for a change I think we all agree with that..