"Black Panther" Chadwick Boseman passes away

Was he sick for a while and just kept it secret? I didn’t think colon cancer acted that quickly.

There was a photo going around in April where he looked extremely sick, but obviously was’t letting his cancer be known to the public. Might start watching Black Panther right now.

1598675728203.png

Colon cancer striking younger people. Get checked out if you discover any signs.

Let me add that prostate cancer is beginning to strike younger and younger men. I would suggest that when you have a yearly physical at age 45, you ask the doctor to include in the blood sample a PSA test. That would give you a PSA baseline that you could see for increases in any future physicals. That might spare you what I have gone through: two operarions, 34 days of radiation, and a series of drugs that amount to chemical castration.

Was he sick for a while and just kept it secret? I didn’t think colon cancer acted that quickly.
Yes, it can be a relatively slower type cancer. Unlike pancreatic cancer, the colon type usually has some symptoms arise early enough to be treated successfully. Vince Lombardi was known to have bowel issues at least as early as 1967, and likely earlier. He didn't go to the doctor until it was too late in the summer of 1970, and then he passed away a few weeks later. Blocks of granite just didn't do that back then.

Boseman's cancer was already at Stage 3 when he was first diagnosed in 2016, as I understand it. We can speculate that he probably underwent treatment at that time - radiation, partial or even total colonectomy, etc. Maybe he was cancer-free for a while, then found it already metastized elsewhere? Have to wait for that info to come out.

But what a shock to hear about this from someone so young and ostensibly in good physical condition earlier! A tragedy, but also a wake-up call for the rest of us.

Is it my mistake or are the descriptions of his impact a bit over-the-top? He was hardly an actor of a generation that he's being described. He never really won any awards that weren't tied to some specific interest group.

Lots of parallels with Christopher Reeve come to mind. Seemed like a nice personality. Biggest role was a Superhero. I liked his Panther and Thurmond Marshal particularly. But he had four years to become a voice for a devastating illness, and chose not to unlike Reeve who was active to the end.

Is it my mistake or are the descriptions of his impact a bit over-the-top? He was hardly an actor of a generation that he's being described. He never really won any awards that weren't tied to some specific interest group.

Lots of parallels with Christopher Reeve come to mind. Seemed like a nice personality. Biggest role was a Superhero. I liked his Panther and Thurmond Marshal particularly. But he had four years to become a voice for a devastating illness, and chose not to unlike Reeve who was active to the end.
So true.

Mr. Dynamite

The Godfather of Soul

The Hardest Working Man in America

Soul Brother #1

Gotta disagree with your assessment on his impact. Many popular iconic actors have gone entire careers without winning or being nominated. I never watched any of the Black Panther movies, but I'm aware they are immensely popular
About Boseman and Reeve. Reeves injury was reported ad nauseam in the media when it happened. So it wasn't as if he could go out and recreate his Superman role. Kudos for him for being a proponent for others that met a similar fate. I give Chadwick a huge thumbs up for keeping this private. In this day and age of stars posting every intimate detail of their private life it's amazing somebody of this magnitude kept this under wraps for 4 years
I only saw Chadwick in 42- so I find it eerie he died on Jackie Robinson day
Also has anyone watched Above Suspicion with Christopher Reeve ? Talk about eerie and downright frightening!

Report on his impact coming up after Black Panther on ABC tonight.

Gotta disagree with your assessment on his impact. Many popular iconic actors have gone entire careers without winning or being nominated. I never watched any of the Black Panther movies, but I'm aware they are immensely popular

many popular iconic actors were neither in as huge a sci-fi movie franchise as he nor are they of his race. Remove those and he has almost zero nominations, let alone wins. His wiki displays nothing in the way of humanitarian efforts, though I'm sure like most he has been involved in some things. Few of his movies beyond the Avengers franchise are really even highly rated.

I'm not disparaging the man or those jumping on the band wagon. He seemed very personable but his actual impact on the profession or society, as opposed to the impact of a role he played, doesn't jive in my mind with the accolades being heeped. Beyond normal celebrity, he seems hardly noticed.

Even Obama's quote, "To be young (he actually wasn't), gifted, and Black; to use that power to give them heroes to look up to .." Well he actually didn't. He didn't create the roles. He didn't write the roles. He didn't direct the roles and he only co-produced Marshall. He simply acted them. If not him, any of a number of other actors would have capably filled the role. Whoever is looking up isn't to him, but to the people/characters whose roles he played. If he's not in the Avengers series, i think his death is a small line at the bottom of CNN.

Last edited:
About Boseman and Reeve. Reeves injury was reported ad nauseam in the media when it happened. So it wasn't as if he could go out and recreate his Superman role. Kudos for him for being a proponent for others that met a similar fate. I give Chadwick a huge thumbs up for keeping this private. In this day and age of stars posting every intimate detail of their private life it's amazing somebody of this magnitude kept this under wraps for 4 years
I only saw Chadwick in 42- so I find it eerie he died on Jackie Robinson day
Also has anyone watched Above Suspicion with Christopher Reeve ? Talk about eerie and downright frightening!
Like who?

In the IMDB for "Ma Raney's Black Bottom," using their "star meter" to list the actors he is getting first billing over Oscar winner Viola Davis. And that is entirely a result of a surge in popularity since his death. Before he died, he was just an actor. Now that he's died, he's Olivier and James Dean and Poitier all rolled into one. People do not seem to be reacting to the very nice man he apparently was or the actor he was. They are reacting to the roles he played. Boseman didn't die. Black Panther did. The other roles being thrown into it just to make the obit longer.

Gotta disagree with your assessment on his impact. Many popular iconic actors have gone entire careers without winning or being nominated. I never watched any of the Black Panther movies, but I'm aware they are immensely popular...

I'm not sure that Boseman would fall into the Iconic category.

Chadwick Boseman:

A petition has been started to erect a statute in his honor in his home town of Anderson, SC.

- - - - - -

Has yet to get STAR on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which likely could be remedied in the future.

Note:
Posthumous nominees must have been deceased at least five years.

A fee of $50,000 payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree.

A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations.

:>---

SALT

It's...ok. It's sports so there is that. Won't be a waste of time but doubt it will make the must watch every year list. Marshal I thought was good.

many popular iconic actors were neither in as huge a sci-fi movie franchise as he nor are they of his race. Remove those and he has almost zero nominations, let alone wins. His wiki displays nothing in the way of humanitarian efforts, though I'm sure like most he has been involved in some things. Few of his movies beyond the Avengers franchise are really even highly rated.

I'm not disparaging the man or those jumping on the band wagon. He seemed very personable but his actual impact on the profession or society, as opposed to the impact of a role he played, doesn't jive in my mind with the accolades being heeped. Beyond normal celebrity, he seems hardly noticed.

Even Obama's quote, "To be young (he actually wasn't), gifted, and Black; to use that power to give them heroes to look up to .." Well he actually didn't. He didn't create the roles. He didn't write the roles. He didn't direct the roles and he only co-produced Marshall. He simply acted them. If not him, any of a number of other actors would have capably filled the role. Whoever is looking up isn't to him, but to the people/characters whose roles he played. If he's not in the Avengers series, i think his death is a small line at the bottom of CNN.
I hear what you are saying, but I got to tell you this hit my house hard. For someone that we did not personally know it jolted us. One of my Son's called me from college flabbergasted. I guess it would be kind of like if Christopher Reeve died before being able to film Superman 2 or 3 and if we didn't have the campy tv version from the 50's. In essence this would have been Superman dying. Of course I was predisposed to be a fan of his because he went to Howard University, so I was a fan of his career even before his role of Black Panther, I mean how cool was it he got to play Thurgood Marshall another famous Howard alumnus. For those that have not seen it 21 Bridges might be one of his best acting performances. Of those roles he played (Jackie, Thurgood) that gave him considerable cache in the Black community, I mean my social media feeds were non-stop Chadwick all weekend. I think that was a combination of the unexpectedness (how young he was), briefness but impact of the movies he was in, now that I think of it maybe James Dean is more apt comparison.

After this weekend, not sure how much outpouring we have left to give a very deserving John Thompson that just passed away.

Last edited:
OMG Above Suspicion, that movie yes eerie comparisons, but the Letter opener scene, just wow! Speaking of eerie movie real comparisons Bruce Lee scene in Game of Death very similar to how his son Brandon Lee died while filming The Crow .

Like who?
I gotta admit- it appears I was wrong. I thought the Bruce Willises or that level star wouldn't have been nominated. But he, and other action stars have at least one nomination
Maybe 'iconic' is a little strong. Popular would be more accurate. I remember when Selena was murdered. I had never heard of her but I realized that she wasn't in my wheelhouse. If you're not a fan of certain movies, music TV shows etc a person can be a star to certain demographics and a 'who's that' to others

Popular and the timing. People fed up with bad. I'll give 21 Bridges a look, maybe tonight. He could like Dean grow after death. But his characters really didn't explore human angst. So I don't know. It will really hit next Avengers movie and they have to explain what happened to T'Challa. Unless they decide to blow it and go all Spiderman on it. Let's have 28 Black Panther origins!

Popular and the timing. People fed up with bad. I'll give 21 Bridges a look, maybe tonight. He could like Dean grow after death. But his characters really didn't explore human angst. So I don't know. It will really hit next Avengers movie and they have to explain what happened to T'Challa. Unless they decide to blow it and go all Spiderman on it. Let's have 28 Black Panther origins!

I have to think the people at Disney were in the know here. It gives a better explanation as to why we haven't gotten Black Panther 2 yet and maybe will never get one. That first movie made way too much money and was too popular to have the character sit for so long without another solo movie.

Disney is going to have to be very creative or simply write the character out and pass on the title of Black Panther. The Black Panther is something that can be passed to a new person in the comics and I would think a recast is not possible with how synonymous Boseman is with the character. I wouldn't be surprised if with knowledge of the situation, they didn't secretly film some passing of the Black Panther title to a new actor or one of the existing Wakanda actors. I also can see Disney completely bungling this like they did with Star Wars but Feige has done such a stellar job managing the MCU, that I imagine that will they at least get something acceptable in the MCU.