Birds and other Animals

Quite a trip!

Nice video...

It was inspiring. Can't believe we hadn't done it sooner. All from a person sharing on a forum. Valley of fire is correct. I put the Johnny Cash song as the park. :)

Last edited:
My wife saw a white squirrel yesterday. Wowzzer! She loves squirrels
Eastern Gray Squirrels are native to the eastern and midwestern USA and southern Canada. Predominantly gray, they can have a brownish color. In urban areas where perhaps they do not need their natural camouflage they can be all black, or white.

Other Ohio squirrels: Fox, Red, & Southern Flying.

Eastern Gray Squirrels are native to the eastern and midwestern USA and southern Canada. Predominantly gray, they can have a brownish color. In urban areas where perhaps they do not need their natural camouflage they can be all black, or white.

Other Ohio squirrels: Fox, Red, & Southern Flying.
1673573556006.png

Only place in Ohio that I personally know of Black Squirrels. You saying those are just Gray Squirrels with a genetic mutation over time?

I know I have seen them in Northern Michigan as well.

View attachment 38067
Only place in Ohio that I personally know of Black Squirrels. You saying those are just Gray Squirrels with a genetic mutation over time?

I know I have seen them in Northern Michigan as well.
It is genetic. From Wikipedia; The emergence of black fur in the eastern gray squirrel is believed to be the result of the 24 bp deletion from their melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) gene; with the specific allele referred to as MC1R∆24.

But they're not sure.

Black fox squirrels also exists, but are much more rare. I've never seen one.

I've read that half the gray squirrels at Kent State are black in color.

When I was an undergrad, the BGSU campus had a sizeable population of white squirrels. I think it still does.

We occasionally see black squirrels in our yard. A few years ago we had a black squirrel with four white feet, very distinctive.

It is genetic. From Wikipedia; The emergence of black fur in the eastern gray squirrel is believed to be the result of the 24 bp deletion from their melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) gene; with the specific allele referred to as MC1R∆24.

But they're not sure.

Black fox squirrels also exists, but are much more rare. I've never seen one.

I've read that half the gray squirrels at Kent State are black in color.

When I was an undergrad, the BGSU campus had a sizeable population of white squirrels. I think it still does.

We occasionally see black squirrels in our yard. A few years ago we had a black squirrel with four white feet, very distinctive.
Bay View is full of em and someone told me that years ago a couple were brought down from some population in MI because a local resident like them. Sounds like a good story but with Bay View being so isolated I could see genetic mutation and closed breeding right? Interesting to say the least.

I've done both and can see how that can happen I guess. Right now some giant Tuna is dragging a dead guy all over the Pacific and a hero to Tuna across the globe.
I won't use belts. But, I've never hooked up a Tuna like that. Drag had to malfunction or some other anomaly. Kinda sad really

I won't use belts. But, I've never hooked up a Tuna like that. Drag had to malfunction or some other anomaly. Kinda sad really
I went on a trip out of Ocean City, MD 75 miles out last year and landed an enormous big eye or swordfish (captain thought) and worked that thing for almost a half hour before I lost it. Stand up harness like that with no chair. I got some horsepower and that thing wore me the F out. The thought did cross my mind of what if? Especially 75 miles out but I guess it really does not matter. We did land some other big eye tuna and then landed some nice sized sharks. Big eye max out around 250lbs. and yellowfin get upwards of 400lbs. Not to be taken lightly. Been in the chair plenty of times in The Keys and have landed some big trophy fish but nothing got me like what did on that trip last year. I wish I knew what was on the other end.

I went on a trip out of Ocean City, MD 75 miles out last year and landed an enormous big eye or swordfish (captain thought) and worked that thing for almost a half hour before I lost it. Stand up harness like that with no chair. I got some horsepower and that thing wore me the F out. The thought did cross my mind of what if? Especially 75 miles out but I guess it really does not matter. We did land some other big eye tuna and then landed some nice sized sharks. Big eye max out around 250lbs. and yellowfin get upwards of 400lbs. Not to be taken lightly. Been in the chair plenty of times in The Keys and have landed some big trophy fish but nothing got me like what did on that trip last year. I wish I knew what was on the other end.
Awesome stuff Never have done much trophy fishing. I like to take it home to eat. Need to land a big Tuna by the oil rigs.

Ever read any Hemingway?

Sure I have Old Man.
The first part of Islands in the Stream is titled "Bimini." There is a long passage about the protagonist fishing with his sons, the youngest of whom is in the chair for hours. Like a lot of Hemingway it is based on a real experience. This passage is considered one of Hemingway's better pieces.

The Old Man and the Sea is very good.

My own experiences are limited to a couple of seasick trips for walleye decades ago.

The first part of Islands in the Stream is titled "Bimini." There is a long passage about the protagonist fishing with his sons, the youngest of whom is in the chair for hours. Like a lot of Hemingway it is based on a real experience. This passage is considered one of Hemingway's better pieces.

The Old Man and the Sea is very good.

My own experiences are limited to a couple of seasick trips for walleye decades ago.
Read Old Man and the Sea while in school. Had never heard of Islands in the Stream, but will read it. Thanks.

Books? Brrr. I don't think I've ever even finished a Hemingway movie or a Cliff's Notes... Maybe Snows of Kilimanjaro. I might actually have read that. And Soldier's Story. That was good.

Saw a blue heron on the night time walk. Standing close to shore. I like how they'll side-eye you, like if they stand perfectly still, you won't notice them. Sometimes I'll stop, make a point to say "I can see you." And they slowly turn away and say "zhit" as they fly away embarrassed. I could be anthropomorphizing.

Saw a rat suddenly in my headlights on a dark rt 2. Can't believe I actually did what I could to get it between my wheels and not run it over. A rat. smh.

Last edited:
Books? Brrr. I don't think I've ever even finished a Hemingway movie or a Cliff's Notes... Maybe Snows of Kilimanjaro. I might actually have read that. And Soldier's Story. That was good.

Saw a blue heron on the night time walk. Standing close to shore. I like how they'll side-eye you, like if they stand perfectly still, you won't notice them. Sometimes I'll stop, make a point to say "I can see you." And they slowly turn away and say "zhit" as they fly away embarrassed. I could be anthropomorphizing.

Saw a rat suddenly in my headlights on a dark rt 2. Can't believe I actually did what I could to get it between my wheels and not run it over. A rat. smh.
Rats are people, too. :oops:

Just imagine it was an opposum. 🐀