Big Ten

The weekend start tonight with Penn State @ Maryland for a Friday night special. Biggest game at Maryland in years and it is sold out, half the fans will probably be Penn State backers but Maryland could care less when counting the $s.

Maryland got absolutely wrecked by Penn State Friday night. Embarrassing.

Rutgers has fired Ash as the HC. Commence Schiano watch. With the divisional schedule and their current place in that hierarchy, it's hard to imagine somebody else stepping in and making them half-respectable within a few years.

This may be one of the worst years ever for the big ten. Nebraska got absolutely smashed by Ohio State, not competitive at all. Scott Frost will want to head back to Florida. Not going to get it done in Nebraska. Michigan State barely got by Indiana. Michigan got a breather with Rutgers. And probably the bigger, unnoted game was Wisconsin, struggling at home with a 1-3 Northwestern team. Wisconsin will win the incredibly weak west division, then get drilled by Ohio State. I really see Ohio State having a cake walk to the playoffs. Yet we'll really not know how good they are.

This may be one of the worst years ever for the big ten. Nebraska got absolutely smashed by Ohio State, not competitive at all. Scott Frost will want to head back to Florida. Not going to get it done in Nebraska. Michigan State barely got by Indiana. Michigan got a breather with Rutgers. And probably the bigger, unnoted game was Wisconsin, struggling at home with a 1-3 Northwestern team. Wisconsin will win the incredibly weak west division, then get drilled by Ohio State. I really see Ohio State having a cake walk to the playoffs. Yet we'll really not know how good they are.

You and Heather Dinich are the only ding bats still clamoring for a four team SEC playoff.

Rutgers has fired Ash as the HC. Commence Schiano watch. With the divisional schedule and their current place in that hierarchy, it's hard to imagine somebody else stepping in and making them half-respectable within a few years.
Agreed. Who's going to want that Rutgers job in the B1G East? Despite some posts on here, the B1G is a quality football conference. Rutgers just does not fit that bill. They haven't really had recent success and they aren't a blue blood program either. Can they do better than an OSU assistant? Firing Ash after a blowout loss to Michigan... what did they expect? They're 1-3 on the season and their only other winnable game this season was vs. Boston College. Seems like a bad time to make a change and a bad move by Rutgers.

Agreed. Who's going to want that Rutgers job in the B1G East? Despite some posts on here, the B1G is a quality football conference. Rutgers just does not fit that bill. They haven't really had recent success and they aren't a blue blood program either. Can they do better than an OSU assistant? Firing Ash after a blowout loss to Michigan... what did they expect? They're 1-3 on the season and their only other winnable game this season was vs. Boston College. Seems like a bad time to make a change and a bad move by Rutgers.

It's just such a bad job considering the resources and tradition that most of the other schools in their division have. I'd argue that Maryland is clearly a better job as well.

Just about anybody they get is going to struggle to get out of the cellar in the B1G East. For them, having a really good year probably looks like finishing fourth in their division.

You and Heather Dinich are the only ding bats still clamoring for a four team SEC playoff.
I think Ohio State is a lock for one of the playoff spots, undefeated team from a power 5 school. I can't imagine they have a close game all season. We just won't know how good they are until the playoff game.

Rutgers will always be a door mat for the big ten. They are just not worthy of being in the league, but they are getting all that TV big ten money, so they could be worse off? They just have to be like 10 of the other conference schools and just plan on never being in the playoff picture in football.

I was watching a Yankee game the other day and there was an ad behind home plate for the B1G Network. That is the only reason that Rutgers is in the B1G and will probably stay in the B1G.

I think Ohio State is a lock for one of the playoff spots, undefeated team from a power 5 school. I can't imagine they have a close game all season. We just won't know how good they are until the playoff game.

Plenty of people will know how good they are. You're an execption.

Purdue had five TDs against Md, all scored by (I think true) Freshmen. That with Rondale Moore out with injury. If Brohm could only recruit and train some linemen.....

As long as no one falls flat on their face next week, the dominos have been falling perfectly to set up some huge games at the end of October and beginning of November.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, Fleck is doing a great job this year at Minnesota with what they have to work with. Although ugly, they found ways to win early in the year and seem to have hit the next gear the last couple weeks. They should be 8-0 when Penn State makes the trip to Minneapolis in a few weeks.

Alabama and LSU both get byes before their big clash, as did UGA and FLA, smart scheduling by the SEC. Meanwhile Ohio State merely has to play Penn State before Michigan. LOL! Oh and Alabama and Auburn play bad FCS schools the week before their annual game.

Fixing college football (as much as we can)
1. get scheduling away from the schools. It's hard enough to evaluate teams that don't play each other. Then you allow teams to play cupcakes non-conference.
2. do away with the conferences. Come up with 64 teams for competitive D1 football. Place these teams into 8 / 8 team divisions regionally. You play everyone in your division, that's 7 games. Then you play 3 "crossover" games with a team from another division. Heck, let the networks set that schedule if you want great TV matchups. So that's 10 games, 10 LEGITIMATE games.
3. Either do away with bye weeks or limit them to 1.

If you make teams play tougher games the Playoff has to be expanded. Right now, 1 loss can end your season.

Fixing college football (as much as we can)
1. get scheduling away from the schools. It's hard enough to evaluate teams that don't play each other. Then you allow teams to play cupcakes non-conference.
2. do away with the conferences. Come up with 64 teams for competitive D1 football. Place these teams into 8 / 8 team divisions regionally. You play everyone in your division, that's 7 games. Then you play 3 "crossover" games with a team from another division. Heck, let the networks set that schedule if you want great TV matchups. So that's 10 games, 10 LEGITIMATE games.
3. Either do away with bye weeks or limit them to 1.

This is the set up I have been saying for some time. It's almost a Texas HS Football District model with the non-conference games used for seeding/hosting purposes. 8 teams with the 1st round in December at campus locations would be a big winner. I would also add in a second tier of 64 that play for a title and they can get access into the top tier with a soccer form of annual promotion and relegation. This will never happen as the big conferences would never sign on.

Ahem.
Awhile ago, I played around with the idea of a promotion/relegation system for college football as a way to improve the season while keeping the current FBS teams in the loop. I settled on a 3-tier system (called the College Football Series) in which teams could move between tiers based on performance (on-field and attendance) over a 4-year period. I based the tiers on competitiveness, market size, and stadium capacity:

It STILL ROCKS!