Big Ten

............................................ they gave UC a game in Cincinnati, could you see 'Bama giving say Houston a game at NRG Stadium?

Actually, they paid off Cincinnati when they were supposed to play there 2012. They did play at Cincinnati in 2002, that game is the reason they didn't want to play in Cincinnati again.

I guess you forgot all the criticism of SEC schedules from last year about never scheduling home and homes with top tier teams. Funny when I posted all the home and homes last year we didnt hear another mention of it. Facts are a stubborn thing.

OSU plays PSU before Michigan this year. One of the other things the SEC does smarter is not scheduling heavy weights back to back.

OSU plays PSU before Michigan this year. One of the other things the SEC does smarter is not scheduling heavy weights back to back.
Well, some SEC schools are very deliberate about adding their cupcake games right before their big game rivalry game. This was mentioned on a previous page. I don't know that they should be credited as being smarter - I mean look at Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium vs. The Citadel. No one, not even the Bama fanbase, cares about those games. It's bad for business. That's a contributing reason why Bama, at least, is adjusting their OOC scheduling moving forward. The B1G does 9 games and competes against their own conference more frequently than the SEC at 8. With 9 games and a quality league like the B1G, you're going to have tough games back-to-back. All leagues have some tough games back-to-back. It's just part of football and the way the schedule works some years.

The SEC is too good to even attempt to not have "heavy weights" play back to back.

While Bama's schedule this season is probably the easiest it has been in recent memory last year the Crimson Tide played Mississippi State and LSU back to back (and @ Tennessee the week prior).

This season Georgia plays Florida, MIZZOU, Auburn, and A&M in a 4 week stretch.

Florida plays a 4 game stretch against AUBURN, LSU, S. Carolina, and bye week before playing @ Georgia (brutal).

A&M finishes the season S. CAROLINA, @ Georgia, @ LSU (Ouch).

I will say this, and have said it for years, the SEC is boss most years and the B10 is usually #2. Both leagues have distinct difficulties that others do not such as crowd sizes, which matters. Going into Penn State at night is NOT the same as Clemson going to Syracuse or Stanford to Oregon. Both the SEC and B10 have the largest stadiums and they pack em every week. It is tough to stay up and healthy with many of these stretches in such physical demanding conferences.

Well, some SEC schools are very deliberate about adding their cupcake games right before their big game rivalry game. This was mentioned on a previous page. I don't know that they should be credited as being smarter - I mean look at Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium vs. The Citadel. No one, not even the Bama fanbase, cares about those games. It's bad for business. That's a contributing reason why Bama, at least, is adjusting their OOC scheduling moving forward. The B1G does 9 games and competes against their own conference more frequently than the SEC at 8. With 9 games and a quality league like the B1G, you're going to have tough games back-to-back. All leagues have some tough games back-to-back. It's just part of football and the way the schedule works some years.

'bama isn't having any issues with respect to running their business, they make plenty of money. Getting a scrimmage before one of your toughest games of the season is a big deal. And as you point out, playing 1 less conference game is a really big deal. Pretty much guarantees an SEC team or 2 in the playoffs every year.

'bama isn't having any issues with respect to running their business, they make plenty of money. Getting a scrimmage before one of your toughest games of the season is a big deal. And as you point out, playing 1 less conference game is a really big deal. Pretty much guarantees an SEC team or 2 in the playoffs every year.
I didn't say they weren't making a lot of money. I simply pointed out they could do more to capitalize on their brand. It's literally been written about in multiple articles with Coach Saban/AD Byrne talking about their scheduling philosophy: Article Link. They know those games aren't exciting. Based on the articles, it seems like they care more about the quality of football rather than scrimmaging moving forward.

Minnesota 28, South Dakota State 21
Nevada 34, Purdue 31
Rutgers 48, Massachusetts 21
Wisconsin 49, South Florida 0
Michigan State 28, Tulsa 7
Stanford 17, Northwestern 7
Penn State 79, Idaho 7
Illinois 42, Akron 3
Ohio State 45, FAU 21
Nebraska 35, South Alabama 21
Indiana 34, Ball State 24
Maryland 79, Howard 0
Michigan vs Middle Tennessee
Iowa vs Miami (OH)

Being a Purdue fan is SO much fun.

Aaargh.

Though the kicker getting that scholly: Happy ending.
I do wonder what that is like. I was at the Purdue v OSU game last year, and also when Drew B beat us too. Obviously both big wins. But then to be pretty pedestrian the rest of the year? Does the win over Ohio State make that alright?

I do wonder what that is like. I was at the Purdue v OSU game last year, and also when Drew B beat us too. Obviously both big wins. But then to be pretty pedestrian the rest of the year? Does the win over Ohio State make that alright?

I have good friends who are Purdue grads and I envy them in a way. They root for their school but do not agonize over losses and do not suffer angst over style points earned or lost during a game. Win or lose they enjoy the football season.

I have good friends who are Purdue grads and I envy them in a way. They root for their school but do not agonize over losses and do not suffer angst over style points earned or lost during a game. Win or lose they enjoy the football season.

I'm a bit concerned that is about to go away. The Nevada game shouldn't have shaken out that way.

You're right, 8 win seasons with that occasional win against Mich, Penn St or OSU is what it traditionally takes to make Purdue football fans ecstatic. They've been happy with much less. But now they seem to have gone all in, both in the coach's salary and facilities upgrades. In basketball, this is ok.

I think the facination with trick-plays has the faithful reminiscent of Tiller. I've not been convinced this coach is worth all that. Got lucky with a recruit and had a Senior QB. I think a bad year and you'll hear grumbling. But no, it will never be the angst that is being an Ohio St fan. Most of Purdue's have probably actually been to the University. Lose, drink a beer, pet the puppy and love the spouse. No police calls.

Agreed. But I have to say looking at the schedules in the SEC, it only looks like Alabama has the weak tough schedule. The other teams like LSU have tough games before they play Alabama. The league seems to protect the Crimson Tide. I'd love to see Alabama play Georgia and then LSU the next week. The have to play a middle of the pack team like MSU. I'd bet they'd have a hard time going undefeated.

Nice half for Maryland so far. Maybe they’re finally turning the corner

The Maryland schedule sets up for a nice run this year. After Temple this weekend they have a week off and then a Friday nighter against their claimed B1G rival, Penn State. They should have a full stadium that is liquored up for an evening game, only problem is probably half the fans will be from Penn State. After that 4 manageable games before hosting over rated Michigan and then traveling to tOSU. 8-4 and a lesser New Year's Day bowl is a possibility this year.

Eastern Michigan 34
Illinois 31

21 Maryland 15
Temple 20

Pittsburgh 10
13 Penn State 17

UNLV 14
Northwestern 30

Georgia Southern 32
Minnesota 35

Arizona State 10

18 Michigan State 7

19 Iowa 18
Iowa State 17

TCU 34
Purdue 13

N. Illinois 8
Nebraska 44

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Eastern Michigan 34
Illinois 31

21 Maryland 15
Temple 20

Pittsburgh 10
13 Penn State 17

UNLV 14
Northwestern 30

Georgia Southern 32
Minnesota 35

Arizona State 10

18 Michigan State 7

19 Iowa 18
Iowa State 17

TCU 34
Purdue 13

N. Illinois 8
Nebraska 44

Big ten is what we thought they were......overrated

I don't understand how Illinois seems to be so brutally bad on a regular basis. You'd think somebody would find a way to consistently win 7-8+ games a year there.

Big ten is what we thought they were......overrated

The losses by Maryland & especially Michigan State really hurt. These were both teams that had a chance to be rated between 10 - 20 in the Top 25 losing games they should have won. This also hurts the chances of Ohio State or Wisconsin to make the playoffs. Unless there are a couple of weekends of Top 10 carnage down the road the B1G champ will have to be undefeated to make the playoff IMO. There just won't be a lot of quality wins on the schedule with Michigan State & Maryland losing games like yesterday, and Michigan, PennState, Iowa & Nebraska looking average. Very disappointing.

The losses by Maryland & especially Michigan State really hurt. These were both teams that had a chance to be rated between 10 - 20 in the Top 25 losing games they should have won. This also hurts the chances of Ohio State or Wisconsin to make the playoffs. Unless there are a couple of weekends of Top 10 carnage down the road the B1G champ will have to be undefeated to make the playoff IMO. There just won't be a lot of quality wins on the schedule with Michigan State & Maryland losing games like yesterday, and Michigan, PennState, Iowa & Nebraska looking average. Very disappointing.

The scheduling gods favored OSU this year. MSU, Wisky, PSU all at home. Only Michigan on the road. Best case scenario is OSU and Iowa go undefeated and meet in the Big 10 championship game.

There are more heavyweights in the SEC, so I don't know what this means? Not sure I classify Penn State as a heavy weight.

Excellent post lotr, I was thinking the same thing. The big ten just has very little room for error. The only way the conference can upgrade this is for Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State to play some top national competition every year. Ohio State should roll in every game this season yet we'll really not know how good they are. The Michigan State loss was a killer.

Excellent post lotr, I was thinking the same thing. The big ten just has very little room for error. The only way the conference can upgrade this is for Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State to play some top national competition every year. Ohio State should roll in every game this season yet we'll really not know how good they are. The Michigan State loss was a killer.

This is just a dumb post. They do play top teams every year. You're easily one of the more delusional SEC fanboys.

This is just a dumb post. They do play top teams every year. You're easily one of the more delusional SEC fanboys.
You don't have to be a fanboy of the SEC, they just prove year after year they are the best conference, top to bottom. Michigan a team who was supposed to contend for the Big ten Title, almost loses to Army in OT at home??? Maryland, who was off to great start, loses to Temple? The top of the Big ten is Ohio State, then Wisconsin a step down, then two or three steps down is Michigan, Michigan State. Then the real killer for the big ten is the bottom teams are just awful. Illinois lost to Eastern Michigan for heavens sake. Purdue goes to Nevada and loses...do I need to keep going.

We won't know how good the Buckeyes are until they play in the playoff semi finals, likely vs. an SEC team.

You don't have to be a fanboy of the SEC, they just prove year after year they are the best conference, top to bottom. Michigan a team who was supposed to contend for the Big ten Title, almost loses to Army in OT at home??? Maryland, who was off to great start, loses to Temple? The top of the Big ten is Ohio State, then Wisconsin a step down, then two or three steps down is Michigan, Michigan State. Then the real killer for the big ten is the bottom teams are just awful. Illinois lost to Eastern Michigan for heavens sake. Purdue goes to Nevada and loses...do I need to keep going.

We won't know how good the Buckeyes are until they play in the playoff semi finals, likely vs. an SEC team.

That same Purdue team beat Vanderbilt.

Missouri lost to Wyoming.

Ole Miss lost to Memphis.

Do I really need to bring up Tennessee?

And we didn't even get into the "almost losses".

The bottom of the SEC is just as bad as every other conference. You're just making stuff up.

Last edited: