Big Ten

Makes tonight more of a must win for OSU. Doesn't seen the Big 10 is going to help out this year.

Big Ten takes another hit.

at Camp Randall

BYU 24
Wisconsin 21

Wisconsin was 23 1/2 point favorites

Looks like the Buckeyes need to run the table, since the rest of the league is doing no favors. Hopefully it’s one of those years where Iowa can pull a 12-0 and win the West.

Need to have a relegation system with the MAC every few years for the bottom four teams.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Overreaction to one bad year (start to the year). Outside of the SEC I still don’t see other conferences that are clearly better than the Big Ten. Ohio State should come away with a quality road win today. If it wins the conference it’ll be in the playoff.

Agreed Bluth. I see it is as a whole conference wise, big separation from SEC to the rest and a decent separation from the Big 10 and the rest. The ACC, PAC, and Big 12 leave much to be desired. However OSU is only outclassed in talent by Alabama IMO. They are clearly a top 5 team and should get into the playoff. Last year I thought the gap was closer between the SEC and big 10, this year as a whole, from top to bottom,the SEC is much the best.

It feels like Alabama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma are kind of lapping the field at this point. I'd classify myself as shocked if one of those 5 didn't win it, and you could have said the same thing last year and probably can next year as well.

As much as I hate against the Big Ten and OSU at times they've been easily in the top 2-3 teams I've really got a chance to watch this season. Bama of course looks great but I'm not sure they've really played anyone. Same could be said for OSU until tonight. I'd argue LSU has by far the best resume right now but think they'd need to hold Bama to probably 24 or less points to stand a true chance.

It's still early but it appears the B1G's only playoff chances at this point appear to be Penn St, Iowa and Ohio State simply based on being unbeaten right now. As they fall it's looking like they may be eliminated. If all three fall then they may need the top ranked team to crush in the Big Ten Championship game.

As much as I hate against the Big Ten and OSU at times they've been easily in the top 2-3 teams I've really got a chance to watch this season. Bama of course looks great but I'm not sure they've really played anyone. Same could be said for OSU until tonight. I'd argue LSU has by far the best resume right now but think they'd need to hold Bama to probably 24 or less points to stand a true chance.

It's still early but it appears the B1G's only playoff chances at this point appear to be Penn St, Iowa and Ohio State simply based on being unbeaten right now. As they fall it's looking like they may be eliminated. If all three fall then they may need the top ranked team to crush in the Big Ten Championship game.

The Buckeyes should be rooting for Iowa to win out, and that starts on Saturday night at home against Wisky. The Badgers blew their shot, so eff 'em and Go Hawkeyes! If Iowa wins that, they have another tough one at Minny the next week and their last remaining tough game is at the end of Oct at Penn State. The problem with Iowa is Ferentz can't be counted on. Some years he'll pull a 11-1/12-0 out of nowhere and other years he's losing to Purdue and Illinois. I hope he pulls a 12-0 this time. And the Buckeyes do the same.

I have zero confidence in Iowa and Ferentz. Every year they're either world beaters or a 7-5 team. With how Wisconsin looked yesterday, I think this is going to be a year where a 3-4 loss team wins the west.

I think we can finally put the farce of the Big ten being a legit football power conference to rest. Unranked BYU, 20+ point underdogs, went into Badgerland and beat Wisconsin. This is why pre-season rankings are meaningless.

I'm going to list the scores of two games over the last two weekends just for you to compare. I know comparing scores is dangerous, but in college football, where there are so few common opponents, so you have to look at the data...

Ohio State 52 Rugters 3 game at Ohio State

Kansas 55 Rutgers 14 game at Kansas

Now Kansas has been thought of as the doormat of the Big 12. Buckeyes win by 49 points, Kansas wins by 41.

I'm not too sure what the point is there. Rutgers is horrible. Instead of trying to win by 70 in a game they led 35-0 at the half, Ohio State opted to instead play a lot of backups in the second half. The fourth quarter involved a lot of redshirt candidates that might play in 1-2 more games this year.

Last edited:
Saturday, September 15, 2018 will be known as Black Saturday for the Big ten this season.

I'm not too sure what the point is there. Rutgers is horrible. Instead of trying to win by 70 in a game they led 35-0 at the half, Ohio State opted to instead play a lot of backups in the second half.

You must be assuming Kansas kept their first teamers in the whole game?

My point is you have to use common opponents as some measure of these teams. It's at least something to consider.

I guess at this point NCAA FBS football should just be the SEC and a couple key ACC and Big 12 schools that are located in the south.

You must be assuming Kansas kept their first teamers in the whole game?

My point is you have to use common opponents as some measure of these teams. It's at least something to consider.

I have no idea what Kansas did, because I wasn't overly interested in the result of a game between what are usually two of the worst power five conference teams.

Ohio State has outscored Rutgers 166-3 the last three years. I don't think pollsters or the playoff committee care if they win by 49 or 70.

Will common opponents be worthy of measure when TCU shows up in Lawrence next month and thrashes Kansas?

Agreed Bluth. I see it is as a whole conference wise, big separation from SEC to the rest and a decent separation from the Big 10 and the rest. The ACC, PAC, and Big 12 leave much to be desired. However OSU is only outclassed in talent by Alabama IMO. They are clearly a top 5 team and should get into the playoff. Last year I thought the gap was closer between the SEC and big 10, this year as a whole, from top to bottom,the SEC is much the best.

I don’t know that the Big 10 is even second best this year. Compare them top to bottom with the Big XII and I slightly favor the Big XII with TCU, WVU and Oklahoma State being better than the top teams in the Big Ten not named Ohio State.

I have no idea what Kansas did, because I wasn't overly interested in the result of a game between what are usually two of the worst power five conference teams.

Ohio State has outscored Rutgers 166-3 the last three years. I don't think pollsters or the playoff committee care if they win by 49 or 70.

Will common opponents be worthy of measure when TCU shows up in Lawrence next month and thrashes Kansas?

Again...this is just a data point, because there are so few in college football. Ohio STate is going to roll through a very, very soft big ten schedule...again...and we'll have little to judge them on in November.

I don’t know that the Big 10 is even second best this year. Compare them top to bottom with the Big XII and I slightly favor the Big XII with TCU, WVU and Oklahoma State being better than the top teams in the Big Ten not named Ohio State.

I don't know the big ten has ever been second best. When you have teams like Illnois, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland, then up and down programs like Michigan State, Michigan, and the top is just OSU, Penn State and Wisconsin...that's not saying much. I would love for the Buckeyes for one season, to flip with Alabama and see how things shake out. There are multiple SEC road games that are land mines. Buckeyes have very few tough road venues in the big ten, and they only see them every other year. Haven't even played Wisconsin the last two seasons during the regular season.

Big 10 and Big 12 are probably even this year.

I don't think there's anything to gain by having Wisconsin and Ohio State play during the regular season. I expect the conference to limit that as much as they possibly can. It's a similar situation to Alabama and Georgia; they've been scheduled just once the past 10 seasons.

Big 10 and Big 12 are probably even this year.

I don't think there's anything to gain by having Wisconsin and Ohio State play during the regular season. I expect the conference to limit that as much as they possibly can. It's a similar situation to Alabama and Georgia; they've been scheduled just once the past 10 seasons.

But they each have 4-5 other BIG games each season. There is no such thing in the big ten.