Big Ten

Termite2

............................................ they gave UC a game in Cincinnati, could you see 'Bama giving say Houston a game at NRG Stadium?
Actually, they paid off Cincinnati when they were supposed to play there 2012. They did play at Cincinnati in 2002, that game is the reason they didn't want to play in Cincinnati again.

Arrogate

I guess you forgot all the criticism of SEC schedules from last year about never scheduling home and homes with top tier teams. Funny when I posted all the home and homes last year we didnt hear another mention of it. Facts are a stubborn thing.

Hammerdrill

OSU plays PSU before Michigan this year. One of the other things the SEC does smarter is not scheduling heavy weights back to back.

tucson

OSU plays PSU before Michigan this year. One of the other things the SEC does smarter is not scheduling heavy weights back to back.
Well, some SEC schools are very deliberate about adding their cupcake games right before their big game rivalry game. This was mentioned on a previous page. I don't know that they should be credited as being smarter - I mean look at Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium vs. The Citadel. No one, not even the Bama fanbase, cares about those games. It's bad for business. That's a contributing reason why Bama, at least, is adjusting their OOC scheduling moving forward. The B1G does 9 games and competes against their own conference more frequently than the SEC at 8. With 9 games and a quality league like the B1G, you're going to have tough games back-to-back. All leagues have some tough games back-to-back. It's just part of football and the way the schedule works some years.

irish_buffalo

The SEC is too good to even attempt to not have "heavy weights" play back to back.

While Bama's schedule this season is probably the easiest it has been in recent memory last year the Crimson Tide played Mississippi State and LSU back to back (and @ Tennessee the week prior).

This season Georgia plays Florida, MIZZOU, Auburn, and A&M in a 4 week stretch.

Florida plays a 4 game stretch against AUBURN, LSU, S. Carolina, and bye week before playing @ Georgia (brutal).

A&M finishes the season S. CAROLINA, @ Georgia, @ LSU (Ouch).

I will say this, and have said it for years, the SEC is boss most years and the B10 is usually #2. Both leagues have distinct difficulties that others do not such as crowd sizes, which matters. Going into Penn State at night is NOT the same as Clemson going to Syracuse or Stanford to Oregon. Both the SEC and B10 have the largest stadiums and they pack em every week. It is tough to stay up and healthy with many of these stretches in such physical demanding conferences.

Hammerdrill

Well, some SEC schools are very deliberate about adding their cupcake games right before their big game rivalry game. This was mentioned on a previous page. I don't know that they should be credited as being smarter - I mean look at Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium vs. The Citadel. No one, not even the Bama fanbase, cares about those games. It's bad for business. That's a contributing reason why Bama, at least, is adjusting their OOC scheduling moving forward. The B1G does 9 games and competes against their own conference more frequently than the SEC at 8. With 9 games and a quality league like the B1G, you're going to have tough games back-to-back. All leagues have some tough games back-to-back. It's just part of football and the way the schedule works some years.

'bama isn't having any issues with respect to running their business, they make plenty of money. Getting a scrimmage before one of your toughest games of the season is a big deal. And as you point out, playing 1 less conference game is a really big deal. Pretty much guarantees an SEC team or 2 in the playoffs every year.

tucson

'bama isn't having any issues with respect to running their business, they make plenty of money. Getting a scrimmage before one of your toughest games of the season is a big deal. And as you point out, playing 1 less conference game is a really big deal. Pretty much guarantees an SEC team or 2 in the playoffs every year.
I didn't say they weren't making a lot of money. I simply pointed out they could do more to capitalize on their brand. It's literally been written about in multiple articles with Coach Saban/AD Byrne talking about their scheduling philosophy: Article Link. They know those games aren't exciting. Based on the articles, it seems like they care more about the quality of football rather than scrimmaging moving forward.