Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The Big Ten decided on Thursday that a conference-only season for all fall sports, including football, is the most likely outcome, a source with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.

If college football can be played this fall, Big Ten presidents and athletics directors prefer playing a conference-only schedule, which would eliminate some long-distance travel and help ensure that their teams are being tested for coronavirus universally, multiple sources inside the league and around college football told ESPN.

Let’s be honest, it’s just a matter of time until the season is cancelled. What a a** move. If you’re 18-22, you’re far more likely to die of the flu. But whatever, just signed the death warrant for a ton of other sports.

This will effectively eliminate the B1G champion from playoff contention since their SoS will be so weak.

Apparently it’s safer for Wisconsin to travel to Maryland but not safe to play ND at Lambeau? This is ridiculous, the players aren’t at any real risk. We’re letting fear and politics drive sports decisions.

Reactions: y2h
Iowa can’t play Iowa St now. Let that sink in.
About right.

Here at work we can only have a quarter of us in at a time, but two busses of workers just left for few days of work a few hours away.....

This feels like a baby step towards inevitably cancelling the season or postponing it until the spring.

This could have a pretty sizable impact on some smaller schools athletic programs if this gets schools off the hook for "buy" games. Not getting paid for those 1-2 games would be devastating for MAC schools like BG that are already reeling financially.

This feels like a baby step towards inevitably cancelling the season or postponing it until the spring.

This could have a pretty sizable impact on some smaller schools athletic programs if this gets schools off the hook for "buy" games. Not getting paid for those 1-2 games would be devastating for MAC schools like BG that are already reeling financially.
Akron to D2: "You up?"

Akron to D2: "You up?"

It's definitely not a good time to be an athlete in a low-budget sport at a MAC school.

When the dust settles from all of this, I imagine there are going to be a few MAC schools that are going to have problems maintaining D1 status without the NCAA relaxing standards or giving waivers for those who have to cut sports.

Assuming all Conferences go this route and there’s actually a season, the NCAA should use it as an opportunity to expand the playoffs to 6 teams (5 bids to Conf winners and 1 at large). Scrap the rest of the Bowl games and have all the games at one site. Why not use this mess to experiment?

It also saves B1G teams a ton of money in what they pay smaller schools for a beat down. And it sounds like the SEC will soon announce the same.

I know the ACC will inevitably through ND a lifejacket, but I would have personally enjoyed the cosmic irony of the Irish drowning without a conference. ?
ACC commissioner John Swofford has already confirmed they will likely provide Notre Dame with a full slate of games. It’s in the ACC’s best interest since Notre Dame brings its own TV network to the table.

To me the most logical answer is to move everything to the spring. It's just not smart or possible to try and have a season when most schools don't even know yet if they're going to allow students on campus for fall semester, most of which start in just over a month. Playing a conference only schedule doesn't really solve any issues and just looks like an excuse to try and continue playing when it would be smarter not to imo

Keep the schedules intact as much as possible, small schools will be able to collect their money and stay afloat, and they can actually play a real season instead of having numerous schools opt out. It would be better to not have a season at all than to have a season with limited or no fans in attendance, which would completely decimate almost every school's athletic budget.

May have been mentioned somewhere, but the Ivy League and CIAA will not play football this year, fwiw. Yappi beat me to it on IL.

Get rid of the idiot politicians that want to destroy the best of America. So what will they do if it is not gone in the spring or next year? Get over it. This is not ever going away. We have to live.

Reactions: y2h
To me the most logical answer is to move everything to the spring. It's just not smart or possible to try and have a season when most schools don't even know yet if they're going to allow students on campus for fall semester, most of which start in just over a month. Playing a conference only schedule doesn't really solve any issues and just looks like an excuse to try and continue playing when it would be smarter not to imo

Keep the schedules intact as much as possible, small schools will be able to collect their money and stay afloat, and they can actually play a real season instead of having numerous schools opt out. It would be better to not have a season at all than to have a season with limited or no fans in attendance, which would completely decimate almost every school's athletic budget.
No way will they move college football to spring. To expect a player to play until June than turn around and play in the fall is ludicrous, more unsafe for the players than the bat virus.

They will get whatever their contract calls for; there is usually a cancellation amount in the contract.

Cincy gets $1.5mill from Nebraska according to the Cin Enquirer for the cancelled game.

Last edited:
Will the SEC really scrap their 2nd last week buy game? Saban wont be happy lolol
Thank you so much! My heart and stomach were sinking while I was reading post by post until I read your gem. Thank you so much. I really do appreciate that, really. Go Bucks!

Speaking of Notre Dame, can anyone explain how Winconsin's football team is less at risk from traveling to College Park, MD for a football game than it is playing Notre Dame at...checks notes...Lambeau Field?

Last edited:
I don't see how spring football has any real feasibility. Odds are a huge percentage of senior and early entree prospects that expect to be in the NFL next fall would sit out. For the rest, it's not reasonable to expect playing deep into May or early June and then to have fall camp starting 8-10 weeks later.

I don't see how spring football has any real feasibility. Odds are a huge percentage of senior and early entree prospects that expect to be in the NFL next fall would sit out. For the rest, it's not reasonable to expect playing deep into May or early June and then to have fall camp starting 8-10 weeks later.

This, and the coaches know it.

Also, what happens to CBS when the SEC demands that a Ole Miss v Georgia game trumps a NCAA Basketball Tourney games on a Saturday at 3:30 in early April? Or what about the Masters later in April? What a mess...

No way will they move college football to spring. To expect a player to play until June than turn around and play in the fall is ludicrous, more unsafe for the players than the bat virus.
You can't expect the older coaches and support staff to participate in the fall either, then. Sooner or later, whether it's one of the college or pro leagues a player or coach is going to die. Then everything will completely shut down. Which is why I don't think there's any chance college football will be played this fall