Big ten Hoops

The starting rankings are looking little like the final rankings. That's why I think they're just mostly talking points. This year's intitial and final rankings impress me more different than most years but I've not actually looked that up.

Purdue was not the 3rd best B10 team at the beginning of the season, not even close. Their early play and drop in the rankings seem to show it. That they lived up to ... expectations? I'm glad. But recruited talent wise? At least the narrative is that they don't have what the other teams have and that it's coach's development. True?

Purdue got off to a rough start, but they got right in the conference season. I still say Michigan and Michigan State are the better teams in the conference. Purdue a distant 3rd. The Big ten was a very solid conference this year, but not great teams.
Painter does a great job there.

IU will be NIT bound. Very disappointing. The Hoosiers are an awful big ten tournament team. They've never won it and been in the finals only once.

I called it last year that Purdue would have no chance against Michigan. They simply didn't have the match-ups and Beilein is no joke of a coach. I agree, any team right now is a distant third to the Michigans. But upsets happen so...

IU will be NIT bound. Very disappointing. The Hoosiers are an awful big ten tournament team. They've never won it and been in the finals only once.

Well it's only been around for about 20 years and IU basketball hasn't really been relevant in the national scope since the mid-90s, outside 2001-2002. So it makes sense.

Michigan cruised against Iowa last night. Not too worried about Minnesota today as long as we can keep Murphy in check. Would rather face Wisconsin in the finals.

Michigan up 38-19 at the half. Would like to think winning this game would secure a 2 seed for them at the least.

Michigan was up on Michigan State all 3 games this year and lost down the stretch. Something just missing with that team.

Rumors getting hot that Nebraska will be canning Tim Miles and replacing him with Fred Hoiberg when their season is over.

Nebraska has been a try hard in basketball over the last several years, investing tons of money into facility upgrades. Hoiberg can really coach, but isn't overly fond of the recruiting game. I wouldn't be shocked if they spend big on staff solely for that purpose.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rumors getting hot that Nebraska will be canning Tim Miles and replacing him with Fred Hoiberg when their season is over.

Nebraska has been a try hard in basketball over the last several years, investing tons of money into facility upgrades. Hoiberg can really coach, but isn't overly fond of the recruiting game. I wouldn't be shocked if they spend big on staff solely for that purpose.

Always liked Miles as a coach, it's really hard to win at non-basketball schools. I was always impressed with some of the guys Miles got to come to Nebraska.

He'll land on his feet somewhere, he always seemed like too nice of a gay to coach.

Well, we're through a weekend of the big dance, any surprises with the big ten? I'd say Minnesota and Purdue was mild surprises. Let's face it, if you're from a major conference and you're in the middle of the pack, you're capable of knocking off anyone. Illinois beat Michigan State this year, Indiana beat MSU twice.
The Purdue / Villanova game was a little bit of an anomaly as Carson Edwards just shot out of his mind. And that happens.

I'd say the big ten are right about where I thought. I predicted only two left at this point, with Purdue being ousted by Villanova, but Edwards won that game.
Big ten, best conf top to bottom, but no elite teams. I see Michigan and Michigan State both losing this weekend. That said I think both have achieved alot this year, I would not have put MSU as a sweet 16 team a few weeks ago.

So the state of Indiana basketball... Archie just finished his 2nd season, I think this team treaded water this season. Pre season, Juwan Morgan was projected as one of the best players in the big ten. Romeo Langford was a big time recruit, one and done material. Going 19-16, losing in the 3rd round of the NIT and finishing in the bottom 3rd of the big ten is not progress. Now some players made some progress, but it was not a season to build much on.

Always liked Miles as a coach, it's really hard to win at non-basketball schools. I was always impressed with some of the guys Miles got to come to Nebraska.

He'll land on his feet somewhere, he always seemed like too nice of a gay to coach.

I've seen him present before and he's probably the nicest, most personable coach I've ever seen at a clinic or an open practice. He's very easy to like and root for. I have little doubt that he'll rebound quickly.

Tenn-Purdue

Tenn has a nice balanced scoring profile but the RBs are skewed, most coming from their top scorer. Purdue has a balanced RB effort but are badly lop-sided in that most of the scoring comes from Edwards at the guard. Guard is where Tenn has the most experience and it's fairly interchangable.

IMO Tenn has the match-up advantage if they can use those multiple guards to harrass Edwards into a bad day. Haarms and Cline have sometimes been able to pick up the slack if Edwards if off but I think they're well matched too.

Tenn-Purdue

Tenn has a nice balanced scoring profile but the RBs are skewed, most coming from their top scorer. Purdue has a balanced RB effort but are badly lop-sided in that most of the scoring comes from Edwards at the guard. Guard is where Tenn has the most experience and it's fairly interchangable.

IMO Tenn has the match-up advantage if they can use those multiple guards to harrass Edwards into a bad day. Haarms and Cline have sometimes been able to pick up the slack if Edwards if off but I think they're well matched too.

Needless to say Edwards didn't have a bad day. Heck of a season for Purdue, they could very easily be playing this weekend.

Needless to say Edwards didn't have a bad day. Heck of a season for Purdue, they could very easily be playing this weekend.

Easy for me to what-if but it's the amazing competition in this year's final eight. VA had just a bit more. I really don't feel stung and I'd have probably been insufferable if they'd won. Kind of wanted it more for Painter than my fannish self, he would handle the win better.

Purdue is losing a lot of leadership with none really coming in at the rising Senior. That's the reasonable assumption that Edwards will be moving on and with the graduation of Cline and Eifert. Purdue will be younger and a bit taller. Always interesting to see how Painter will fit the pieces.

How's IU shaping up for next year?

Even with no official seniors on this year's roster, Michigan is expected to lose anywhere from 1 to 3 players to the NBA draft.

There might also be some attrition from deeper down the bench.

For the first time in awhile, not looking forward to Indiana basketball. This is Archie Miller's 3rd season and it's not looking good. Hoosiers picked 10th in the big ten this year. I'm not sure he survives another year in Bloomington. Maybe Tom Crean wasn't so bad after all?

For the first time in awhile, not looking forward to Indiana basketball. This is Archie Miller's 3rd season and it's not looking good. Hoosiers picked 10th in the big ten this year. I'm not sure he survives another year in Bloomington. Maybe Tom Crean wasn't so bad after all?
IU officials won't admit it but Bobby Knight was IU basketball.

IU officials won't admit it but Bobby Knight was IU basketball.
The Hoosiers were actually pretty good with a few coaches before Knight showed up. Branch McCracken coached the Hoosiers from 1938 to 1965, winning a couple of national championships. Bobby Knight did continue the tradition from the 70's to the 90's. I thought Tom Crean was a good man for the job, but many in the IU family have unrealistic expectations. IU isn't Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, who's able to recruit anyone from anywhere. However, they need to pattern themselves like a Villanova, a school who again, can't get national recruits, but gets players and develops them into 4th / 5th year senior studs.

The Hoosiers were actually pretty good with a few coaches before Knight showed up. Branch McCracken coached the Hoosiers from 1938 to 1965, winning a couple of national championships. Bobby Knight did continue the tradition from the 70's to the 90's. I thought Tom Crean was a good man for the job, but many in the IU family have unrealistic expectations. IU isn't Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, who's able to recruit anyone from anywhere. However, they need to pattern themselves like a Villanova, a school who again, can't get national recruits, but gets players and develops them into 4th / 5th year senior studs.
IU used to be a school that could get the blue-chippers. They are still a blue blood. They just need the right coach.

IU used to be a school that could get the blue-chippers. They are still a blue blood. They just need the right coach.
I think there is a real shift in college basketball now, and I believe soon there will be an alternative for the one and dones in the form of a one year pro league for guys who have no interest in being a student-athlete. I think you'll just continue to see the Dukes/ Kentuckys and Kansas get one and dones, an everyone else will recruit 3-4 year players. Virgina did it last year, Villanova the previous years.

I think there is a real shift in college basketball now, and I believe soon there will be an alternative for the one and dones in the form of a one year pro league for guys who have no interest in being a student-athlete. I think you'll just continue to see the Dukes/ Kentuckys and Kansas get one and dones, an everyone else will recruit 3-4 year players. Virgina did it last year, Villanova the previous years.
The Big Ten, in general, doesn't seem to do many one and dones. OSU did it with Conley and Oden years ago, but not many examples.

And I agree we will see more and more go the pro route over a year in college. Australia's league is heavily marketing itself to those kids now.

Well it looks like it's going to be an up and down year for the big ten. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State has all stumbled out of the gate somewhat. I'm not sure there is a final four type team in the big ten. My Hoosiers have likewise been up and down. Finally got that signature win Saturday against Ohio State. Archie Miller, I believe, is on the hot seat. IU has not made the NCAA tournament in 3 seasons and that does not fly in Bloomington. What's as alarming is there really does not seem to be a real uptick in talent. They are gritty and gutty, but generally talent wins out and IU is not near good enough to compete at the top of the big ten.

Purdue has 3OT games with a total of 5 OT. Hard to believe Haarms is only a Junior. Completely different team without Edwards. Top five scorers within 2 pts. Lots of Sophs and Fr, I think they'll be tournament ready.