Big Ten Conference has voted to cancel football and fall sports for 2020, according to reports

From newsbreak:

In the Big Ten, football-crazed Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and even part of Nebraska are expected to be pretty competitive states that can swing the election. Per current aggregate forecasts, Iowa is the only state he has a real edge in right now.

Smart, purely political move. Football is far more precious to the Midwest than it is to the West.

I agree it's a smart political move in theory. But does it hurt him if the B1G Ten doesn't have things going by the election?

I agree it's a smart political move in theory. But does it hurt him if the B1G Ten doesn't have things going by the election?

Truthfully, I think it will have little effect. I don't think there are very many voters who haven't already made up their minds and nothing will change their feelings. But, any last ditch effort can't hurt. The fact that it was only aimed at Big Ten schools and not PAC 12 schools is a bit too obvious. Everything done now by all governmental candidates is purely politics.

Now this. Not good news:

Last edited:
Truthfully, I think it will have little effect. I don't think there are very many voters who haven't already made up their minds and nothing will change their feelings. But, any last ditch effort can't hurt. The fact that it was only aimed at Big Ten schools and not PAC 12 schools is a bit too obvious. Everything done now by all governmental candidates is purely politics.

Now this. Not good news:

See the doctor’s clarification in 2 other threads.

That is totally an opinion article, based on his dislike for the man.

A Little Birdie tells me University of Michigan President Mark Schlissel is one of the biggest remaining obstacles to the return of Big Ten football this fall. To the point he’s threatening to have Michigan sit out even if the Big Ten votes to go in October, denying the Big Ten its signature game.

That’s right, from what I’m told Schlissel is willing to weaponize the Michigan-Ohio State game as a threat to keep the Big Ten home this October, believing the league wouldn’t dare move forward without The Game. Thus losing hundreds of millions of dollars for member institutions while watching 76 other FBS teams play college football.

Watched a couple of games yesterday. Big10 , PAC players were probably steaming sitting home on the couch.

I hope that those who support the Trump initiative aren't the same people that condemned DeWine and said that government should stay out of football.
I do believe there is a difference. Trump is trying to right a wrong and getting football back. Dewine and his girlfriend overblew this disaster that started a chain of events. Those two jagoffs were trendsetters in shutting down the states and Dewine s media tour corrupted other government leaders.

There is no difference. If it was really about righting a wrong as opposed to attempted political opportunism, then the president would be making an effort to restart football in the largely liberal PAC 12. He's made no effort to do so, and has focused instead on the football rabid Big 10 that's composed mostly of swing and conservative states.

That said, hopefully we get a Big 10 restart by mid-October that allows any deserving team the opportunity to contend for the playoff. It's absurd that the major programs in this part of the country are sitting at home on the couch while high schools, some lesser resourced colleges, and the pros play.

Could be he believes the PAC 10 is a lost cause, which I think most would agree with. Maybe he could get Arizona and Arizona State to play but it's not really worth the effort compared to the Big 10

California Gov is never going to let Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA play. Ditto Oregon and Washington governors. They are all leftists and even if it was the right thing to do at this point they are not going to give trump anything approaching a W. What’s the upside for trump more ridicule from the Libs?

I would imagine there would be pretty good enthusiasm at Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington State and probably USC to kick the tires on potential paths to a restart.

Could be he believes the PAC 10 is a lost cause, which I think most would agree with. Maybe he could get Arizona and Arizona State to play but it's not really worth the effort compared to the Big 10
They’re not going to have anyone to play, though.

IMO, it’s probably overstated the level of enthusiasm folks in IA and WI etc would have on a B1G restart given that such an event would just result in tOSU running roughshod over the conference... again.

tOSU is largely disliked across the rest of the Big 10, and this is true in the West especially. If tOSU was expected to be down this year and Wisc/Iowa/Minn had a pretty reasonable shot of winning the B1G, I would buy the argument. But this is a year, not unlike almost every one of the past 15 seasons, where the schools from the swing states are likely playing for 2nd/3rd/4th.

IMO, it’s probably overstated the level of enthusiasm folks in IA and WI etc would have on a B1G restart given that such an event would just result in tOSU running roughshod over the conference... again.

tOSU is largely disliked across the rest of the Big 10, and this is true in the West especially. If tOSU was expected to be down this year and Wisc/Iowa/Minn had a pretty reasonable shot of winning the B1G, I would buy the argument. But this is a year, not unlike almost every one of the past 15 seasons, where the schools from the swing states are likely playing for 2nd/3rd/4th.
These schools are losing big amounts of money. Iowa has already cancelled 4 sports, Iowa also along with Neb., and OSU voted against cancelling the season. I believe Iowa is all for restarting football as soon as possible.

These schools are losing big amounts of money. Iowa has already cancelled 4 sports, Iowa also along with Neb., and OSU voted against cancelling the season. I believe Iowa is all for restarting football as soon as possible.

The second-tier brands in the league like Iowa and Wisconsin should be all for restarting. Those that are 1-2 steps behind the big brands financially but that try to compete at a high level across several sports are going to be hurting significantly financially in a manner that may take several years to recover from without meaningful football being played this fall.

Such an unbelievably bad take in that article. Valid safety concerns for major college athletics with all of the resources they have at their disposal went out the window when youth, middle school and high school fall sports resumed across the Midwest. She sounds like a wannabe Big Ten elitist that's mostly upset that she can't pretend that they're better than the southern schools now.

Good to see that miserable POS being dragged on Twitter. She and Dan Wolken have been particularly abhorrent with their takes regarding the restart of football. Some others have been annoying in their pessimism, but these two have spent every waking minute the last 3 months trying to cancel the season.

Welp, Walmart just started clearing out space to display more jerseys. Probably be a rush this weekend akin to Black Friday.