Big Moe Basketball

01/17/2020 Big Moe 49 Elder 36
Hey GopherHole, I see that “tougher” schedule is paying dividends. ?

While they were playing Hughes all the good teams in the state were in Kettering playing at FTTH . . . Moeller should give it a shot and see how they stack up. St. Ed's did. Kremer is more concerned with W's then making the team better by playing better competition.

First it was Loveland, now it's St Ed's you keep talking about. What do you do; pick teams out of a hat and compare them to Moeller and of course, Moeller is alway the inferior team?

While they were playing Hughes all the good teams in the state were in Kettering playing at FTTH . . . Moeller should give it a shot and see how they stack up. St. Ed's did. Kremer is more concerned with W's then making the team better by playing better competition.

BigMoe in now 100 and 5 in their last 105 games with back- to- back and a chance at a 3 peat Gopher. Something tells me Kremer has things on the right track? Geesh

You proved my point . . . 2 of the 5 losses came when they played national level teams outside of Ohio in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. They haven't scheduled a national level team since. Last 3 Christmas tournaments they went to were jokes. SVSM and St. Ed's play national level teams every year bc coaches are more concerned with kids getting better by playing better competition than wins and losses.

You proved my point . . . 2 of the 5 losses came when they played national level teams outside of Ohio in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. They haven't scheduled a national level team since. Last 3 Christmas tournaments they went to were jokes. SVSM and St. Ed's play national level teams every year bc coaches are more concerned with kids getting better by playing better competition than wins and losses.

Probably safe to say SVSM and St. Ed's would trade a few wins at a meaningless out of state Holiday tourney for 100-5, back to back D1 Ohio titles and a great shot at a 3 peat. But nice try Gopher.

giphy.gif

GopherHole has been spotted taken a break from his computer:

Congrats to Coach Kremer and the "Well Oiled Machine" that is Moeller Basketball. 8 straight GCL titles, I think 12 out of 15. I also think 68-1 and 103-5 during this tremendous Run! Moe shoots 76% from field and 84% from the line last night at Elder. Well done. Lets get that 3-Peat!

Add to it they beat a good Turpin team, one that beat Elder earlier in the year. Again GopherHole it's good to see how Elder's schedule is working so well for them.

Add to it they beat a good Turpin team, one that beat Elder earlier in the year. Again GopherHole it's good to see how Elder's schedule is working so well for them.
Elder let me down . . . but your definition of "good" needs a little work. LaSalle and East are the only other good teams in Cincinnati. Easy sailing for Moe until they play a team from Columbus or Cleveland.

good win for Moe last night. East is next. Found a stream on youtube, TKDS sports had the full moe/c'ville game so hopefully they will stream the Saturday game as well.

Tonight should produce a W at the Beach Ball Classic but round two against Calvary Christian (a five headed beast) will be a tall tall task. GBM

I didn’t even realize they lost a game earlier in the year to an Indiana team. Was that team just stacked or was it just a really off night?

They lost the other night at the Beach Ball Classic....second loss this year. Don't know much about the two teams they have lost to but surprised to see two losses for a team ranked 8th nationally. GCL play starts next week....LaSalle.

The two losses came at the hands of Lawrence North in Indianapolis in overtime and to Calvary Christian out of Florida in the Beach Ball Classic. These two teams are arguably the best two teams they will see all season. Lawrence North is currently the top ranked big school basketball program in Indiana. Calvary Christian is just a beast, playing schools from all over the country in what can only be categorized as a glorified "all star" traveling circuit. No shame in losing to either of these two teams since they both basically went down to the wire. You don't see competition like this on most schools schedules. Kudos to Moeller for stepping up and meeting the challenge. They may or may not lose another ball game this year and are almost certain to get to the state semis if not win the whole darn thing. GBM

They lost the other night at the Beach Ball Classic....second loss this year. Don't know much about the two teams they have lost to but surprised to see two losses for a team ranked 8th nationally. GCL play starts next week....LaSalle.

No surprise that you had no idea that their 2 losses are to excellent teams, and both games came down to the last possession. Isn't about time for you to start bashing the coaching staff?

No surprise that you had no idea that their 2 losses are to excellent teams, and both games came down to the last possession. Isn't about time for you to start bashing the coaching staff?
The bashing can start after they lose to St. X . . . heard Sussli drove down to Hilton Head after the Elder game to beg last year's best player to come back ;) :)

This may be over simplifying things but I would like to see Mahaffey post up more often. He usually is guarded by someone 4-5 inches smaller and has the ability to create down low which would allow him more shots from point blank range and he would undoubtedly draw plenty of fouls. If the defense decides to put a bigger guy on him, it would probably mean a much smaller guy guarding Duncomb on the perimeter. This would open up passing lanes for Duncomb or at the very least allow him to shoot the three uncontested over a much smaller man. Mahaffey seems somewhat reluctant to shoot from outside and does most of his damage down low. Duncomb has proven he can shoot from the perimeter and it would also make it easier for him to get back on defense. Duncomb seems to have lost a little of his MOJO and getting him involved in the scoring is a must come tournament time. GBM

This may be over simplifying things but I would like to see Mahaffey post up more often. He usually is guarded by someone 4-5 inches smaller and has the ability to create down low which would allow him more shots from point blank range and he would undoubtedly draw plenty of fouls. If the defense decides to put a bigger guy on him, it would probably mean a much smaller guy guarding Duncomb on the perimeter. This would open up passing lanes for Duncomb or at the very least allow him to shoot the three uncontested over a much smaller man. Mahaffey seems somewhat reluctant to shoot from outside and does most of his damage down low. Duncomb has proven he can shoot from the perimeter and it would also make it easier for him to get back on defense. Duncomb seems to have lost a little of his MOJO and getting him involved in the scoring is a must come tournament time. GBM

Mahaffey was 20-53 from three (38%) his freshman year at Northwest. Undoubtedly he has to be a better shooter with two years of practice since then. Sounds like a confidence issue to me. He is 3-9 from three this year. You would think encouraging him to shoot the ball from the perimeter would open things up for Duncomb down low.

I hope some Moe posters were able to catch the performance of Deuce McBride on ESPN last night. The former All State performer at Big Moe led a furious second half comeback against top ten Texas Tech by scoring the game winning bucket with six seconds left in the game. McBride brought the West Virginia Mountaineers back from a twelve point deficit with a little over 7 minutes left in regulation. He scored a game high and career high 23 points to lead Bob Huggin's 11th ranked team to victory. Deuce as he was known at Moeller is the leading scorer for the Mountaineers and continues to lead by example. McBride is just one of many Moeller hoopsters that has gone on to make a name for himself at the college and professional level. Congratulations to Miles and the entire Moeller coaching staff for continuing to re write the school's record books and continue the proud tradition of Moeller basketball. GBM

I hope some Moe posters were able to catch the performance of Deuce McBride on ESPN last night. The former All State performer at Big Moe led a furious second half comeback against top ten Texas Tech by scoring the game winning bucket with six seconds left in the game. McBride brought the West Virginia Mountaineers back from a twelve point deficit with a little over 7 minutes left in regulation. He scored a game high and career high 23 points to lead Bob Huggin's 11th ranked team to victory. Deuce as he was known at Moeller is the leading scorer for the Mountaineers and continues to lead by example. McBride is just one of many Moeller hoopsters that has gone on to make a name for himself at the college and professional level. Congratulations to Miles and the entire Moeller coaching staff for continuing to re write the school's record books and continue the proud tradition of Moeller basketball. GBM

McBride has a chance to make a lot of Money at the next level. The NBA appears to very much be in his future!

Couldn’t happen to a better kid- he’s a delight to watch

Does anyone care to share information on the Will McCracken transfer to Hilton Head? I know his family moved to SC this past summer but it is odd that such a key player would transfer at the beginning of his Senior year in high school. I am sure that arrangements could have been made to allow the young man to finish out his career at Moeller without raising any eyebrows. He is a D1 level college player that was arguably the second best player on last year's basketball team. With McCracken in the lineup, Moeller would be the prohibitive favorite to capture yet another state championship. I was just thinking out loud if there might be another reason for the kid wanting to leave a situation like he had at Moeller. I would think that most parents would accommodate a Senior to be and allow him or her to finish out their high school career at a place where they had an overwhelming impact on a team's success. No rumors please just a straight up explanation if you are in the know. Thanks. GBM

What is going on with the team this year? Losing to X tonight and by looking at the box scores it does not look like it was all that close. They already dropped one to Elder too. On paper, this team is full of D1 talent. I have been on the outside looking in because of COVID restrictions, so I am curious to see what others think who have watched them consistently this year. The big man does not seem to be dominating. Are they just not playing well together? I know they have only lost a few games, but when you lose two league games when you had not lost one in forever, eyebrows are raised especially with the talent they have on paper.

What is going on with the team this year? Losing to X tonight and by looking at the box scores it does not look like it was all that close. They already dropped one to Elder too. On paper, this team is full of D1 talent. I have been on the outside looking in because of COVID restrictions, so I am curious to see what others think who have watched them consistently this year. The big man does not seem to be dominating. Are they just not playing well together? I know they have only lost a few games, but when you lose two league games when you had not lost one in forever, eyebrows are raised especially with the talent they have on paper.

Moeller looked flat and honestly tired last night. Also, give St. X credit, they played well. Moe has played a very tough schedule with essentially 5 player all year, and what appears to be Williams at 80% due to injury for the past 7-8 games. McCracken loss is really starting to show with their depth. Hopefully they recharge and get focused. This team can definitely cut down the nets again!