Big 10 Perception

Gh0st

The Big 10 has a unique opportunity to throw the national perception that has plagued then since 2006. OSU had the opportunity to knock off the top team in the SEC and either the ACC or Pac12. MSU has a chance to knock off the top team in the Big 12.

If, and I know it's a big if, OSU and MSU win, does the Big 10 is the weakest conference argument go away?

How about if they win 1 or two games? What if they win 0 but play close games?

Thoughts?

Winning bowl games, playoff games and high profile non-conference games will all help B1G perception, as will the return of Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska to yearly Top Ten program status.

If OSU wins it will help OSU officially shake it's bad rep that it has somewhat worn off over the past 4-5 years of not being able to win the big game. It will not fix the Big 10's rep though.

It still will not matter. The Big Ten needs to be strong and competitive for a few years span in order to get it's reputation back. A few wins in these bowl games will be a step in the right direction. They all have tall tasks ahead of them though.

We really need Michigan, Penn St, and Nebraska to become elite programs again. Until them, Ohio State (and now Michigan St) will just be pulling dead weight.

I wouldn't say that the B1G is the WEAKEST major conference, but they are NOWHERE near as strong as the SEC. They really don't need to win it all this year, what they really need is for the middle to the bottom of the conference to get better. That being said, for the past 2 years the top programs in the SEC have not been as strong as they were the previous 6 years before that. What makes the SEC the strongest is that their middle of the pack teams are usually much stronger than everyone elses. People knock the SEC for weak OOC schedules, but fail to recognize that 3/4 of the conference teams they play are usually ranked. This year, I would rank the strongest as this:

1. SEC
2. Pac-12
3.(tie) B1G and Big12
4. ACC

If OSU wins it will help OSU officially shake it's bad rep that it has somewhat worn off over the past 4-5 years of not being able to win the big game. It will not fix the Big 10's rep though.

I thought the wins over Oregon in the Rose and Arkansas in the Sugar would help that, but people only believe what they want to believe. If beating Bama doesn't do it then nothing will.

It's really not reality to say OSU can't win big games if they lose to BAMA, considering every other team in the country would also lose to Bama IMO...but you know people will say it.

Either way, good lord our sophomore class is phenomenal. The future here is bright

Of note, the best player in the NFL, JJ Watt, is from the B1G.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson just to name a few. Also many of the top lineman and defensive players from the NFL are from Ohio State. For example Joe Thomas and Jake Long.

Not to mention the best skilled postion player this year in college football was from the Big Ten. We have talent. It just isn't being dispersed across the middle tier and lower tier teams such as the SEC.

I thought the wins over Oregon in the Rose and Arkansas in the Sugar would help that, but people only believe what they want to believe. If beating Bama doesn't do it then nothing will.

It's really not reality to say OSU can't win big games if they lose to BAMA, considering every other team in the country would also lose to Bama IMO...but you know people will say it.

Either way, good lord our sophomore class is phenomenal. The future here is bright

I don't think it's reality to say it at all really, but much of the country disagrees with me. They've won or at least had competitive games in their big games and have pretty well in the late BCS bowls since 2007. I also take issue with 2007, because I don't think that team had any business playing in the NC.

The problem they are having is that the rest of the conference sans MSU, and who knows how long that will last, has just not kept up. Every year it is the anchor OSU has to drag across the finish line.

The conference has a significant chance to make some noise this year, and it's more in control of the two programs that have had success. I would just hope a few big wins won't be dragged down by the middle of the conference not pulling it's weight.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson just to name a few. Also many of the top lineman and defensive players from the NFL are from Ohio State. For example Joe Thomas and Jake Long.

Not to mention the best skilled postion player this year in college football was from the Big Ten. We have talent. It just isn't being dispersed across the middle tier and lower tier teams such as the SEC.

Russell Wilson is more ACC than Big 10. Same school as Philip Rivers.....

IMO I think the Big 10 has a pretty decent reputation. I think Msu, OSU, and Wisconsin have a lot of respect. I think the recent struggles of Michigan and penn state have hurt the conference a bit. Nebraska has not helped, but they haven't been there that long. The big 10 has never had the powerhouse Nebraska once was.

Things change, and these things go in cycles. Right now the sec is the hott conference, but their light has dimmed a bit. I think the big 12 and pad 12 have closed the gap.

Ok so if Braxton miller transfers to Oregon he is a pac 12 product

Yeah sure if he starts and has a really good season, he'd be both a Buckeye and a Duck. I think if you asked him though he'd say he was a Buckeye.

Wilson was more in the spotlight in one year at wisconsin than he was in three years at NC State. I consider him a product of both schools. I don't see how that is ridiculous

It's ridiculous because they spent 3 or 4 years being molded at one school. They then transfer as a finished product just to play out one last season

The point of bringing up nfl players in regards to conferences is saying they made them. Nc st did that a heck of a lot more for Wilson. The same way osu did for miller if he goes

Yeah sure if he starts and has a really good season, he'd be both a Buckeye and a Duck. I think if you asked him though he'd say he was a Buckeye.

Wilson was more in the spotlight in one year at wisconsin than he was in three years at NC State. I consider him a product of both schools. I don't see how that is ridiculous

So he'd be a Duckeye? :D

The perception go the Big Ten is awful.. At the latest ESPN predictions(take them for what they're worth) they have the BigTen going 1-9... We desperately need to start winning games on a bigger stage.. The fact is we only have three teams/programs that are worthy of any major attention(Ohio State, Michigan St., Wisconsin) thats it.. Nebraska is close and Minnesota is on the rise. We need to just start winning big marquee non conference games.. It's as simple as that!

The talent is there.. Three major heisman finalists came from the Big Ten! Ohio State has a ton of talent.

People think the Big Ten is awful and they aren't.. What happened to Indiana beating a good Missouri team..

It's time for the Big Ten to make a statement.. They NEED MSU and OSU to win.. At least those two.. It is critical..

But for now we can just watch Mark May try to convince everybody how the OSU- Bama game will go

MARK MAYS PREDICTION
Alabama 277
Ohio State -2

People think the Big Ten is awful and they aren't.. What happened to Indiana beating a good Missouri team..

B1G fans like to cling to the Indiana win over Mizzou as if it vindicates the conference, but yet B1G fans post that the ACC is garbage. I guess they forgot the ACC handed the SEC 4 losses in one day.

B1G fans like to cling to the Indiana win over Mizzou as if it vindicates the conference, but yet B1G fans post that the ACC is garbage. I guess they forgot the ACC handed the SEC 4 losses in one day.

Did any of them defeat an SEC division winner?

I don't think anyone feels the Indiana win over Missouri "vindicates" the Big Ten. It's just an example of growing parity among college football's so-called Power Five leagues.

I don't think the Big Ten is better that the ACC... For me the rankings go

1) SEC
2) PAC 12
- slim margin of difference in this one.. I like the PAC 12 A lot.. Stanford at 7-5 is one of the best in the country IMO

(giant Gap)

3) ACC
(Smaller Gap)
4)Big Ten
5) Big 12
- they're both about even.. Very top heavy, but the depth of talent in the Big Ten outweighs the depth of the Big 12

I think there is an article posted today on ESPN or Yahoo! that summarizes how Urban Meyer has transformed OSU into an SEC school. If memory serves, FSU was labeled an SEC school playing in the ACC last year after they won the national title.

The benchmark is clearly the SEC, until B1G schools beat SEC schools head-to-head consistently...the perception will never change.

I don't think the Big Ten is better that the ACC... For me the rankings go

1) SEC
2) PAC 12
- slim margin of difference in this one.. I like the PAC 12 A lot.. Stanford at 7-5 is one of the best in the country IMO

(giant Gap)

3) ACC
(Smaller Gap)
4)Big Ten
5) Big 12
- they're both about even.. Very top heavy, but the depth of talent in the Big Ten outweighs the depth of the Big 12

Stanford? How would you know? Based on their beating UC Davis and Army OOC, and losing to Notre Dame? This is an example of why it's difficult to rank leagues. There is not enough meaningful interaction between them in most seasons.

Let's not forget who else the ACC ( Va Tech) beat this year:cool:

I know, I know. O$U was breaking in a frosh QB and a bunch of starting OL...

You guys should give those lower tier B!G schools some credit. I mean PSU took O$U to Double OT and Northwestern beat Wisconsin!!! They're not that far off.

C'mon! Some of you need to go back and look at your posts after Labor Day weekend and re read your tru feelings about the B!G.

I think there is an article posted today on ESPN or Yahoo! that summarizes how Urban Meyer has transformed OSU into an SEC school. If memory serves, FSU was labeled an SEC school playing in the ACC last year after they won the national title.

The benchmark is clearly the SEC, until B1G schools beat SEC schools head-to-head consistently...the perception will never change.

Interestingly, Alabama is a Big Ten type of football school but ESPN would never make that connection. Arkansas has also embraced Big Ten football.

Looking at the style of play without knowing the teams, most would say that the Big Ten team in the semifinal was Alabama and the SEC team was Ohio State.