BGSU eliminates baseball effective immediately

I mentioned in an earlier thread that some of these schools have room to maneuver when it comes to eliminating some programs on the guys side. Sadly in this case it was the baseball program. Buddy of mine from HS, his older brother played at BGSU back in the late 90s. Guessing his alumni contribution may dip.

This move has been rumored for the past 4 or 5 years. It's awfully convenient to blame Covid....but that's not why it happened. 4-5000 fans at a football game really puts a hurting on the athletic budget

F-ing shame. Great program and Schmitz is a great coach.

We just experienced the best of times economy wise and one downturn forces these kind of moves? Buckle-up.

Title IX does not make it easier.

Title IX needs to be revised. Not sure how but maybe football scholarships shouldn't count towards the mens counts since it funds most programs anyway.

Title IX needs to be revised. Not sure how but maybe football scholarships shouldn't count towards the mens counts since it funds most programs anyway.

Not a horrible idea. Was just discussing this with a buddy yesterday that if football was removed from the title 9 equation it would be a game changer for sure.

Not a horrible idea. Was just discussing this with a buddy yesterday that if football was removed from the title 9 equation it would be a game changer for sure.

To be honest...these moves have nothing to do with Title IX. It's an easy excuse to make budget cuts. As someone who's deeply involved in the wrestling community...my hope is that Woman's Wrestling will save the sport at the college level. Easier to justify both male/female teams getting use of a facility. Unlike baseball/softball we don't need separate fields.

To be honest...these moves have nothing to do with Title IX. It's an easy excuse to make budget cuts. As someone who's deeply involved in the wrestling community...my hope is that Woman's Wrestling will save the sport at the college level. Easier to justify both male/female teams getting use of a facility. Unlike baseball/softball we don't need separate fields.

Been involved with high school wrestling now for 16 years and YES women's wrestling will save men's wrestling...hopefully.

F-ing shame. Great program and Schmitz is a great coach.

We just experienced the best of times economy wise and one downturn forces these kind of moves? Buckle-up.

Title IX does not make it easier.
I hate to see any programs eliminated. I feel for these current and incoming players, coaches.

Not to put any negativity on it, but this program has really gone down hill. You have to go back to 2008-2010 for their last winning seasons and before that it was early 2000's. They've had like 7 winnings seasons in the last 20 year's. If this program was full of success consistently or even more recent, it would have made it that much harder to eliminate it.

It is safe to say BGSU is just the start of programs being eliminated at the D1 level.

I hate to see any programs eliminated. I feel for these current and incoming players, coaches.

Not to put any negativity on it, but this program has really gone down hill. You have to go back to 2008-2010 for their last winning seasons and before that it was early 2000's. They've had like 7 winnings seasons in the last 20 year's. If this program was full of success consistently or even more recent, it would have made it that much harder to eliminate it.

It is safe to say BGSU is just the start of programs being eliminated at the D1 level.

tcgobucks mentioned right off the rip that BGSU football had not been bringing as much ticket money lately. The link below indicates that out of 130 FBS football programs BGSU's 5 year attendance average was ranked 114th. And over the last five season Doyt Perry was on average only 2/3rds full on any given home game.

Interesting that Toledo has the best attendance out of all MAC teams with OU having the best capacity percentage. I can tell you right now that as a UT alum a lot of those in attendance are not paying for those tickets. At the glass bowl you can always count on some random guy or 15 of them ready and waiting to dump free tickets on ya. Several times this has happened right next to the ticket booths. Never turn down a free ticket to see the rockets.

Has been in the works for years according to Gary Haas who the field in named after and who has donated $1 million to the program. Sounds like they were planning on cutting the program and covid made it easier.

And just think last year people were clamoring for all D1 college athletes to get paid above their scholarship? Very few understand that only the top college athletic departments actually make money. Most, even in some power 5 conferences try to break even. The MAC doesn't have the same TV deals that the power 5's do. This was going to happen eventually.

And just think last year people were clamoring for all D1 college athletes to get paid above their scholarship? Very few understand that only the top college athletic departments actually make money. Most, even in some power 5 conferences try to break even. The MAC doesn't have the same TV deals that the power 5's do. This was going to happen eventually.

Umm...you do know they voted to allow that right? Or do you just go to every board and type BS