Best State Meet performances that you have witnessed - top 3

tmk

There have been so many great performances.

A couple that have really stuck with me over the years...

1 & 2 was the 1985 D. 1 4x8's. Two non-winning anchor legs - one from Lancaster (Doug Conroy, who I had 1:49 high/1:50 low), and one from Upper Arlington (Barb Courtade, in 2:10 low) - brought their teams from WAY back. Impressed the daylights out of a very young coach. This was back when the 4x8 and the 800 were on the same day, too. It was after those races I first heard people talk about moving the two events to different days.

3. The 1993 D. 2 boys 4x400. A crash in the last 20 meters of the final leg caused the entire race to be rerun. As an old MVL coach, I watched the late Chet Pifer of Morgan County huddle his relay together between the two races. That team - which was maybe 7th in the first race - ended up second, some 3-4 seconds faster than their first effort. Even though it wasn't a win, it was just a superior performance by their relay. I always wondered what he said - it must have been quite a speech.

Mr. Slippery

There have been so many great performances.

A couple that have really stuck with me over the years...

1 & 2 was the 1985 D. 1 4x8's. Two non-winning anchor legs - one from Lancaster (Doug Conroy, who I had 1:49 high/1:50 low), and one from Upper Arlington (Barb Courtade, in 2:10 low) - brought their teams from WAY back. Impressed the daylights out of a very young coach. This was back when the 4x8 and the 800 were on the same day, too. It was after those races I first heard people talk about moving the two events to different days.

3. The 1993 D. 2 boys 4x400. A crash in the last 20 meters of the final leg caused the entire race to be rerun. As an old MVL coach, I watched the late Chet Pifer of Morgan County huddle his relay together between the two races. That team - which was maybe 7th in the first race - ended up second, some 3-4 seconds faster than their first effort. Even though it wasn't a win, it was just a superior performance by their relay. I always wondered what he said - it must have been quite a speech.
^^^^^^^^^
My alma mater won that 4x400 race while running 2.5 seconds slower than they ran in the original final. Their school record time was achieved during that original final when they finished 2nd. IIRC, a vote was taken among the coaches regrading whether or not to re-run the race, and it came out 4-3. My school's head coach was happy to place 2nd, so he voted against the re-run. IIRC, Hoban won the original final.

Our end of the season relay meet bears the name of 1 of the 4 members of that winning relay - Jason Manse. It's rather fitting given that he was on all 3 of the boys relay events from that era which all set school records with him on them, 2 of those school records still stand today - that 4x400 and the 4x800 from the previous year that was state runner-up. He was one of those sons every parents dreams of - went to Duke on a ROTC scholarship, eventually flew combat missions during in the Iraqi War, and trained pilots when he returned to the States. He was killed during a training exercise.

Last edited:

yj_runfan

2004 Boys D1 1600: Jeff See's win over his teammate Michael Veatch. I've never seen a more calculated and confident performance in an state meet race.

Last edited: